UHD TV or 1080P? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
I am thinking about upgrading bedroom TV this week with the SB sales going on - currently have a 32" Sony LCD TV that I bought in 2006 (!). It's still going, but would like a larger/wall mount - probably 48" - my question for the TV crowd - am I buying obsolete tech if I stick with 1080P or is it worth the upgrade to 4K or UHD or whatever its called?

(Would've posted on tech board but not much happening over there)

You realistically won't see much of a difference if you get a top quality 1080p tv.

4K will be the new standard, but it will be some time before content providers catch up. I have a Samsung 65" 4K tv and it looks wonderful. I upgraded from a 65" 1080P tv. It is a noticeable difference. My new tv is a 10 bit panel, 120 hz 4K with HDR.

I am thinking about upgrading bedroom TV this week with the SB sales going on - currently have a 32" Sony LCD TV that I bought in 2006 (!). It's still going, but would like a larger/wall mount - probably 48" - my question for the TV crowd - am I buying obsolete tech if I stick with 1080P or is it worth the upgrade to 4K or UHD or whatever its called?

I did the exact same thing you're doing, about a month ago.

I went from 32" Sony LED that works fine to 40" 4K.
I'm so glad I upgraded. 4K is totally worth it and a vast improvement over my 4 yr old Sony.
By the way. I got a Vizio and it looks fantastic.

If you use Netflix or others like it then 4k is available. Most regular cable providers do not output in 4k yet.

4K will be the new standard, but it will be some time before content providers catch up. I have a Samsung 65" 4K tv and it looks wonderful. I upgraded from a 65" 1080P tv. It is a noticeable difference. My new tv is a 10 bit panel, 120 hz 4K with HDR.

Ditto. 60" Samsung 4K UHD. Love It! Seems to have so much more depth than the 1080P I had.

I definitely think it's worth the upgrade, but the problem is some content providers really aren't sending 4k or UHD signals, depending on your source for TV watching.

From what I've read, Netflix and Amazon have a good bit of 4k content, but providers like Cox, Comcast, etc. don't. So it just depends on what you mainly gravitate toward for content.

Link for 4K Content

I actually just bought a super nice 60' Samsung (1080p) from Sam's last week and I love it! It was only $548. I was happy about that price, because I struggled with your same questions. I ultimately went with this one, because I mainly get my content from Cox and they don't broadcast in 4k or UHD.

This is a tough call. For the bedroom, I'd probably get a nice 1080p. But you may be able to get a better television going 4k even if you don't need or want it. When I got my Panasonic plasma, I didn't want a 'smart tv', but the quality I wanted just came with it regardless.

I'm not feeling the need to upgrade yet. I'll probably do so when either my TV dies or OTA broadcasting starts pumping out 4k. I might even consider it when gaming consoles start supporting 4k in game. But that's likely a generation away as well.

4K TVs upscale 1080 content, so you will see a difference (less so with smaller TVs). With the price point 4K TVs are at now, I think it's a no-brainer to go 4K. I've been really happy with mine.

Thank you for all the info.

I am leaning towards spending a few extra bucks on the 4K - this TV will be used for a lot of Netflix/Roku stuff so it might actually have 4K content sooner rather than later.

Might be overkill for a bedroom set but what the hell - there are some decent sales going on (though the best deals are for 1080p).

Just FYI, you will need to upgrade your Netflix account to receive 4k content (I think it goes to 11.99/month)

It's not just the TV, but the wires. Make sure you get some high quality UHD monster cables. For me, that's been the game-changer.

It's not just the TV, but the wires. Make sure you get some high quality UHD monster cables. For me, that's been the game-changer.

Just don't fall for the Monster branded scam. You can find good cables on monoprice.com that will pass 4K content.

Just don't fall for the Monster branded scam. You can find good cables on monoprice.com that will pass 4K content.

So much this. Although I'd go Amazon. I have not been happy with the HDMI cables I've gotten from monoprice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom