UK soccer investigates following NFL lead

Thread starter #1

AndyG

For Yorkshire man
VIP Contributor
Ratings
(this might end up being merged into one of the London threads ... see how it develops)

The BBC is reporting that the UK Premier League soccer teams have agreed to investigate the possibility of playing competitive league matches overseas. under the proposal, the season would be extended from 38 to 39 games, giving 10 extra fixtures, which would be hosted around the world, with hosts bidding for the right to stage games.

The article says it's unlikely to come into effect before the 2010/11 season, and that host cities would each get two games, played over a single weekend. North America and Asia are mentioned as likely destinations

What I thought most interesting, apart from the obvious link to the NFL exporting meaningful matches, was this quote (from the BBC sport editor)

The growth of the Premier League has been impressive in the last 15 years thanks to the sale of television rights in this country. But now the market in the United Kingdom is becoming saturated and it is the overseas market which is now the big target area.
which IMO exactly parallels the NFL's motivation - we've sucked the home market dry, let's see if we can make more money elsewhere.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7232390.stm

Slim K

Suggestions?
Ratings
Would be the death of English football if it happened.
Explain?

If you took a Premier League game to Asia, not America, sales would rocket. If it is a good, thrilling game many of the spectators here in Asia would pay alot to go catch a game in the UK. Merchandise sales over here are already unbelieveable, I couldn't imagine what would happen bringing a game here. They already have 24/7 coverage of soccer here.

Unless of course you mean UK supporters would be furious :dunno:

efil4stnias

ppfffffttttt
VIP Contributor
Ratings

I kinda agree with you there. But it is a "worldwide" sport so I dont think it will have that much effect on "english" football. What I can see is that a team like Reading is followed by those who arent familiar with the history, players and managers and just follow them to root for the underdog. There is a certain level of "Fan-dom" ( if you will ) for English teams that certainly rival that of any other sport. Fans here of say the Cleveland Browns. That "team" was one of the "original" NFL teams and has a long sotried history. It would be tough to gain acceptance from original fans if you just climbed on board. Same would be true of a EPL team.

Personally I would LOVE to catch an EPL match....Liverpool v Chelsea or a derby ( unfortunatley if the EPL moves a Derby to the U.S., I thing the Island of Great Britan would explode! )

Ratings
Unless of course you mean UK supporters would be furious :dunno:
There would be massive, massive resistance against it.

Whilst i accept there are a huge amount of people(in particular the Far east) who watch English football, we've always prided ourselves on not being 'franchises'...our clubs play in the same ground/town that they always have done for 125 years, we don't move from city to city(of course there's the one recent terrible circumstance when this happened).

The NFL is pretty much an isolated sport in the US and they are trying to branch(although let's be honest, money is the clear incentive), our football's played all over the world. It would help kill local football in the far east and in all honesty how many teams are people bothered about watching?

If Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal aren't playing, there certainly wouldn't be much interest in American cities bar ex-pats of course the American's that own English clubs, Glazer's, Hicks/Glazer, Lernar etc. would all insist their clubs play in the American cities that they already have a sporting interest.....i think the Glazer's own Tampa etc..

Of course you then have the knock on effect where the Spanish, Italian, German leagues etc. would follow suit.

Before you know it football will have lost all identity.

Ratings
Regarding the U.S. and Britain, I really think that the only way either venue switch is/will be successful is due to expatriates living in both countries.

Very few Americans care about David Beckham. Very few ever will.

Even fewer Brits care about L.T., Brady, etc. Even less know who they are.

The novelty thing can wear out real soon.

Ratings
Why? The Japanese took a sumo taikai to London and helped grow attention for the sport, which like the Premier league includes lots of non-domestic players.

Would a ManU-Chelsea match in Tokyo really be so bad? From a marketing perspective, it's gotta look good to the owners.

efil4stnias

ppfffffttttt
VIP Contributor
Ratings
http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2130602672

Reaction from my local club's message board, this team play in the Championship(one below Premier League)

Exatcly what I thought it would be. EPl fans follow thier team for identity. Not just because its a soccer team. These teams were formed up to 120 years ago as "clubs" for local men and were never organized to reap the monetary windfall. These teams have deep seeded roots in thier cities and that is something you can never lose.

NFL teams were and always have been about $$$$. Thats why there is such a circus when a city is announced an "expansion" team. ( picture city mayor and such in backgorund going "ca-ching")

on a side note, thats why I thing the US National Team is not on par with other National squads. Our players must get that true "identity" feeling in thier blood to become World Champs. We are getting there, but not there yet.

Last edited:
Ratings
Why? The Japanese took a sumo taikai to London and helped grow attention for the sport, which like the Premier league includes lots of non-domestic players.

Would a ManU-Chelsea match in Tokyo really be so bad? From a marketing perspective, it's gotta look good to the owners.

Your first point, don't forget English football is played all over the world...sumo fighting isn't. Can you imagine what a kick in the teeth it would be to the MLS if the EPL comes over to America? American's(in particular kids) who are interested in football would suddenly lose all interest in the MLS and follow the 'bigger brand'....all that one million dollars a week wages Beckham gets would be wasted(and he has had an impact despite being injured), i hope the MLS continues to grow and expand(there's plenty of room for it in America with a 300 million population).

2nd point - Both clubs have supporters who travel to every game home and away, what are they supposed to do if the game is in Tokyo? They would lose all of their identity.

The EPL is just like the NFL, everything is about money these days, nobody seems to care about supporters of teams anymore. The NFL doesn't care about Saints fans losing a home game, they don't want people to travel from New Orleans for the game, they want Brits and other Europeans to spend loads of money on merchandise and increase their viewing figures which in turn increases tv revenue. The EPL have just sat back, watched the NFL announce a 2nd game in the UK and promised to return for the following 2 years after, and thought if the NFL are making millions they why don't we?

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
VIP Subscribing Member
Ratings
Unfortunately, the EPL can't even sell half a stadium here in NYC. I honestly can't remember who played, but I saw it on tv and it was filled with spanish and europeans, but still only half full.

I would LOVE to see some legitimate EPL games here in the States and not just a nonchalant friendly.

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
VIP Subscribing Member
Ratings
Your first point, don't forget English football is played all over the world...sumo fighting isn't. Can you imagine what a kick in the teeth it would be to the MLS if the EPL comes over to America? American's(in particular kids) who are interested in football would suddenly lose all interest in the MLS and follow the 'bigger brand'....all that one million dollars a week wages Beckham gets would be wasted(and he has had an impact despite being injured), i hope the MLS continues to grow and expand(there's plenty of room for it in America with a 300 million population).
Then MLS better get cracking with better overall talent if it feels threatened by the EPL. IMO, the quality of soccer here is extremely subpar on a professional level.

Ratings
Then MLS better get cracking with better overall talent if it feels threatened by the EPL. IMO, the quality of soccer here is extremely subpar on a professional level.
Absolutely but these things take time. The MLS have enough of a fight on its hands trying to compete with NFL, baseball etc. without another exact sport muscling in on its territory.

Interesting comment about the crowds at NYC, i remember when LA Galaxy played there(around October time) against the local New York team there was around 69,000 who watched the game at Giants stadium.

Saintree River

Hall-of-Famer
Ratings
I lived in Beijing for a year and they had major european soccer teams play friendlies there quite often. While I was there, Real Madrid and Manchester United both came and they were considered huge events in the city. And they were only exhibition games.

I think what you have to look at with what the NFL is doing and the EPL is considering is what is the end game? Do they eventually want to extend each others leagues to the other country or just try to pick up fan support to sell more jerseys. I think in both cases there is limited room to grow in the other's market when talking about USA and UK. You have your cult followings on both sides and then you have people who hate the others' sport. Most people are in the middle area of not really caring too much.

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
VIP Subscribing Member
Ratings
Absolutely but these things take time. The MLS have enough of a fight on its hands trying to compete with NFL, baseball etc. without another exact sport muscling in on its territory.

Interesting comment about the crowds at NYC, i remember when LA Galaxy played there(around October time) against the local New York team there was around 69,000 who watched the game at Giants stadium.
Not that I know the answer, but how many of those tickets were corporate freebies?

Overall, I would most assuredly see an EPL game at (SB Champions) Giants Stadium.

Top Bottom