Ukraine (10 Viewers)

BooBirdSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
But while they're doing that could Ukraine lose the Donbas or be pushed out of Bahkmut forcing Ukraine to have disengage and relocate troops. If Russia starts pouring forces into the area could they regain the initiative?
I don't have any military experience so I don't know. I'm good at worrying though.
IMO the Russians are spent. They wasted the best equipped and best trained forces they had 6 months ago. All those gains have mostly been erased. And, if the figures are even remotely accurate and the Russians lost 50,000 to 80,000 KIA/WIA then game over. Now they are relying on criminals, conscripts and mercenaries with no real training led by incompetents. I wouldn't be concerned with some local Russian gains vs the overall strategic advances the Ukrainians have already made. A cold winter of ill-supplied and poorly led replacements will likely lead to more Russian retreats and failures.

Crzycjunx76

Iron Era Origional
Reaction score
Seattle by way of Texas, originating in SELA.
I don't think anyone would eat a raccoon. It would be too much like eating a Norwegian rat, or a skunk.

Skunks are very like raccoons.
In the early 2000s I had a neighbor in Nacogdoches Tx who was the constant "side hustle" type.

He worked as a mechanic, occasionally had side projects when he found a junkyard car that was an easy fix and flip. He had a side business cutting down and clearing felled trees, fixed up an old splitter, and sold firewood... etc.

His favorite thing was hog hunting with his dogs. He dissallowed guns whenever someone came on his hunts, he was afraid someone would shoot his dogs. He loved his dogs and took great care of them... he had mostly bluetick hounds for tracking and baying and pit-bulls for tackling and pinning the hogs down.

He always came back with at least one angry 100-200 lb hog in his trailer cage, and typically a few more in the bed of the truck.

He would sell the bigger ones (200-300 lbs) to local rodeos, and the rest were sold to individuals, and even a few resturants, as food. (Im pretty sure there were ordinance violations in there)

Anyway one night one of his two favorite dogs was gored badly. The vet suggested putting him down because treatment would cost thousands, and the dog was not going to be able to breed again anyway with its injuries.

He told the vet to save his dog, but things were tight with his wife pregnant so he had to scramble to get more money.

One of the side gigs he picked up was trapping raccoons.. a guy who used their pelts in his own side business would come and buy them whole. One day when I was there my friend asked if he wanted him to skin them for him from now on. The guy said "No way. I sell the pelt, I eat the coon. Them is the best eatin", and he proceeded to tell us all the ways to prepare and eat raccoon.

SamAndreas

It's Not my Fault
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In the early 2000s I had a neighbor in Nacogdoches Tx who was the constant "side hustle" type.

He worked as a mechanic, occasionally had side projects when he found a junkyard car that was an easy fix and flip. He had a side business cutting down and clearing felled trees, fixed up an old splitter, and sold firewood... etc.

His favorite thing was hog hunting with his dogs. He dissallowed guns whenever someone came on his hunts, he was afraid someone would shoot his dogs. He loved his dogs and took great care of them... he had mostly bluetick hounds for tracking and baying and pit-bulls for tackling and pinning the hogs down.

He always came back with at least one angry 100-200 lb hog in his trailer cage, and typically a few more in the bed of the truck.

He would sell the bigger ones (200-300 lbs) to local rodeos, and the rest were sold to individuals, and even a few resturants, as food. (Im pretty sure there were ordinance violations in there)

Anyway one night one of his two favorite dogs was gored badly. The vet suggested putting him down because treatment would cost thousands, and the dog was not going to be able to breed again anyway with its injuries.

He told the vet to save his dog, but things were tight with his wife pregnant so he had to scramble to get more money.

One of the side gigs he picked up was trapping raccoons.. a guy who used their pelts in his own side business would come and buy them whole. One day when I was there my friend asked if he wanted him to skin them for him from now on. The guy said "No way. I sell the pelt, I eat the coon. Them is the best eatin", and he proceeded to tell us all the ways to prepare and eat raccoon.
I hate to say this, but that was not a very good food recommendation.

What on Earth would the local rodeos there do with the bigger hogs they bought?

The local rodeos where I grew up didn't use hogs at all. Sometimes they would use girls, but I would imagine that was done for a different purpose.

Crzycjunx76

Iron Era Origional
Reaction score
Seattle by way of Texas, originating in SELA.
I hate to say this, but that was not a very good food recommendation.

What on Earth would the local rodeos there do with the bigger hogs they bought?

The local rodeos where I grew up didn't use hogs at all. Sometimes they would use girls, but I would imagine that was done for a different purpose.
Did a quick search to see if any of the "rodeos" still operate.

Top of the results has wild hog rodeo events and a wild hog cookoff.

Also... apparently they have their own rodeo classification.

itztime

Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone would eat a raccoon. It would be too much like eating a Norwegian rat, or a skunk.

Skunks are very like raccoons.
Coons are a thing to eat, a buddy of mine a few years back, did some trapping for a side hustle for the pelts. He had a running wait list for the meat at work, he had to leave at least one foot on, to prove it wasn’t a skinned cat or they wouldn’t buy the meat.

Last edited:

staphory

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Coons are a thing to eat, a buddy of mine a few years back, did some trapping for a side hustle for the pelts. He had a running wait list for the meat at work, he had to leave the at least one foot one, to prove it wasn’t a skinned cat or they wouldn’t buy the meat.
I’ve had it before. It’s not terrible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom