Ukraine (28 Viewers)

It's got me scratching my head. What the heck are they doing?
One idea. In the ACW Lee was offered rifled artillery but he preferred Napoleonic 12-pounders in part because they were louder and thus encouraged his own soldiers when they fired. Similarly, in WW1 the French loved their 75mm artillery even though it was not as good as the German Krupps because they were loud and could be heard in the Parisian cafes. So maybe likewise the Russians are just firing away at anything just to encourage their own demoralized troops.

One idea. In the ACW Lee was offered rifled artillery but he preferred Napoleonic 12-pounders in part because they were louder and thus encouraged his own soldiers when they fired. Similarly, in WW1 the French loved their 75mm artillery even though it was not as good as the German Krupps because they were loud and could be heard in the Parisian cafes. So maybe likewise the Russians are just firing away at anything just to encourage their own demoralized troops.
I wouldn't exactly list the users of that tactic amoung history's winners. Lee lost his war. The French were technically on the winning side of WWI, so was Tsarists Russia. But when the allies had won, France had lost an entire generation of young men, the Génération du feu, and the Russian Tsar and his family were no more. Not exactly what winning is.

I've been reading about the formation of the Ukrainian "Offensive Guard" assault brigades.

What exactly will be the function of the "Offensive Guard" in the war: explanation of experts

According to a military expert, Lieutenant General Ihor Romanenko , these eight assault brigades will begin to be used on the battlefield when the Armed Forces successfully carry out a strategic defense operation. When the Russian troops lose their offensive potential, the Ukrainian troops will launch a counteroffensive. That's when the time of the "Offensive Guard" will come.

Mr. Romanenko explained that units of the Defense Forces of Ukraine will try to break through the front and move forward as quickly as possible, without lingering in populated areas. And it is the brigades from the "Offensive Guard" that will "clean up" cities and villages.

"If the armed forces are delayed in every settlement, the offensive momentum will be stalled very quickly. And this is unacceptable. Therefore, when the settlement is surrounded, these brigades from the "Offensive Guard" will enter there and will carry out sweeps. And units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine will continue to liberate the territories," said the lieutenant general.

Military expert, reserve colonel of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Serhiy Grabskyi considers the initiative quite promising, because the forces of the National Police of Ukraine are not enough to maintain law and order in the de-occupied territories of Ukraine.

"These brigades will be involved in the liberation of Ukrainian territories, and in the future in ensuring law and order in them," the military expert added.

He also noted that the names of the brigades show that they are offensive brigades. Since about 8,000 volunteers were selected in just a few days, although not all of them will be suitable, this shows that Ukraine has the resources to meet the needs of the army.

"Having such a neighbor to secure land borders, we cannot afford the luxury of having an exclusively contract army, this is unacceptable in our conditions. Everyone should serve," the reserve colonel summed up.

That above is an English machine translation of a portion of a long article on the subject, Below is the link to that article which I found to be interesting reading. If you click on it you will have to then left click on it and instruct your browser to translate it for you.

That article was dated on the 9th of Feb. Since then more people have volunteered. Here's an update link from today, also not in English. The update is brief so I'll quote a translation of all of it below:

There are already more than 20,000 people who want to join the ranks of the "Offensive Guard" assault brigades. The largest number of applications is received online.
NSU spokesman Ruslan Muzychuk announced this on the air of the national telethon, Ukrinform reports.

"In general, there are already more than 20,000 applications. We have three main sources of applications. We receive the largest number through www.storm.mvs.gov.ua, where the online survey works. More than 14,000 questionnaires were received through this channel, more than 7,500 of them are applications for joining the National Guard units. "TsNAPy" also work, "hot lines", of course, work is carried out through the picking centers," Muzychuk said.

According to him, the next stage is the processing of applications. Already after that, the selected candidates must collect the necessary documents, undergo psychological testing, and a medical examination.

"All these stages of selection are necessary, since we are forming assault brigades. Candidates with high motivation must get there, they must also meet other requirements for the formation of such units," the NSU spokesman emphasized.

As reported, on February 2, the Ministry of Internal Affairs announced the beginning of the formation of "Offensive Guard" assault brigades, which can be joined by volunteers. The basis of these units will be active police officers , border guards and National Guard fighters.

Last edited:
"We apologize for the inconvenience and truly appreciate your patience." Musk is a pro-russia, pro-putin, piece of work.
Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to the feds taking over control of Starlink for national security reasons. I forget the specific name for that. Then Ukraine wouldn't be at the mercy of that idiot.

Ukrainian troops recaptured previously lost positions and gained a foothold "in some areas" along the front line, Commander-in-Chief of Ukraine’s Armed Forces Valerii Zaluzhnyi said on Feb. 11. He didn't specify the areas.

Zaluzhnyi said that Ukraine’s defense is holding, keeping Bakhmut, a city in Donetsk Oblast, under control, and taking measures to stabilize the front line around this city.

The fiercest battles are currently raging in the area of Vuhledar, and Mariinka, towns that sit about 150 kilometers southwest of Bakhmut, where Russia carries out up to 50 attacks per day, he reported.

Russian troops likely fled and abandoned at least 30 mostly intact armored vehicles in a single incident after a failed assault around Vuhledar, the U.K. Defense Ministry reported earlier on Feb. 10.

According to the Institute for the Study of War, Russia’s recent failure in Vuhledar points to the poor training of the newly mobilized Russian soldiers.

Ukraine’s intelligence claims that Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered his troops to fully occupy Donetsk Oblast, about half of which is currently under Russian control, by March.

Despite the ambitious goal, Russia’s advance has been slow in Donetsk Oblast since its forces lack the munitions and maneuver units crucial for successful offensives, according to the U.K. Defense Ministry.

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to the feds taking over control of Starlink for national security reasons. I forget the specific name for that. Then Ukraine wouldn't be at the mercy of that idiot.
Well i wouldn't be surprised if he's been getting some backdoor DoD supplemental payments and that now, when the pot's really about to boil, he's holding them up for an increase.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom