Ukraine (30 Viewers)

"Precision Aerial Munitions" is pretty vague. I wonder what they are?

just guessing- DPICM

clear 100 yards of a trench with on shell.

but could also mean more JDAM kits too. Or GLMRS.

ooooooooooooorrrrrrr- ATACMS. ;)

I enjoy Hertlings' insights. I know some of the older Abrams could run on diesel engines, not sure how many of those we have left.
I think all of the Abrams could run on diesel fuel all along. What I think happened is someone who wrote the Wikipedia page or some news paper article for the tanks read that the US chose to only use jet fuel when they could have used diesel fuel instead, and that created an Internet legend which was not true.

Additives are the only difference between number 1 diesel fuel and jet fuel. Those additives mostly apply for an aircraft which operates above 20,000 feet in thinner air which is always many degrees below zero. A tank on the ground doesn't deal with that.

There's an anti soot part to the Jet fuel additives as well, but that probably is something which could be dealt with by controlling the air/fuel mixture better. That probably is all the dual fuel part about the engines are, a movable setting a crew person could switch which would slightly change the mixture, instead of a fixed setting inside of the pump which would be set during a tune up done by a mechanic during set up, and could not easily be adjusted.

"Precision Aerial Munitions" is pretty vague. I wonder what they are?
I would think they will be APKWS II guided rockets. They are cheap kits which convert the small Hydra 70 unguided missiles into guided missiles. They are used by Bradly fighting vehicles as a cheap substitution for the very expensive hellfire missiles, and on helicopters and fixed wing aircraft as well.

The reason I think that is because the Bradly fighting vehicles will need them for shooting at lightly armored vehicles that are smaller than tanks. And those Bradly's are just now being put into use there.

Zuni:

The Zuni was designed for use against enemy bombers, pillboxes, gun emplacements, trains, vehicle convoys, ammunition dumps, and small ships. The Zuni was very inexpensive, costing about $400 each, and served as both an air-to-surface and air-to-air missile.
Your suggestion is essentially the same as my suggestion. The Zuni is unguided and quite similar to the newer smaller Hydra 70 rockets. Both are in use in Ukraine.

They both become guided rockets by the addition of a WGU-58/B guidance section for the Zuni, where as the unguided Hydra 70's I mentioned above become guided rockets by the addition of a WGU-59/B guidance section.

Size is the major difference. The Zuni is 5 inch, and the Hydra 70 is 70mm which is much smaller around than the Zuni, (2.75 inches vs 5 inch).

The guidance system kits cost a lot more than the rockets they convert, about $15,000 each

Zuni:

The Zuni was designed for use against enemy bombers, pillboxes, gun emplacements, trains, vehicle convoys, ammunition dumps, and small ships. The Zuni was very inexpensive, costing about $400 each, and served as both an air-to-surface and air-to-air missile.
Hmmm..... maybe those cruisers in the Black Sea filled with Kalibr missiles may be swimming with the fish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom