Ukraine (30 Viewers)

I can't find any sources that say its all BS. Unlike the nuclear winter theory which has many detractors.

Yes small electronics are actually less of a risk (assuming they arent connected from the grid) Because the length of the conductors is much smaller And of course the military has hardened everything for a long time.

But for the civillian power grid, those conductors are huge, exposed and mostly unshielded . And they're all connected. Well except for Texas. Since it is all connected, shielding over the distances may not be practical. If part of the grid gets hit, the charge is going go flow everywhere.

Lightning strikes are very rare and brief - lasting ms, despite delivery millions of volts the power transfer is not that large. Whereas the ionization of the trosophere could persist for some time, delivering hundreds/thousands of volts over an extended period. This could be enough to melt/blow transformers.

Operation Starfish in 1962 did produce measurable effects in Hawaii some hundreds of miles away, blowing out street lamps, albeit not a complete grid loss. Shortly after, they banned testing in the upper atmosphere, and banned nuclear weapons in space. So either there isn't anything practical they can do to stop it, and are relying on a treaty and the goodwill of the other side, or they have figured out its mostly baloney.
I doubt there are sources that say it's BS... I certainly don't think it is BS, it is what it is. As I said before EMP pulses are naturally occuring and can be created, the limits are well understood. Shielding for the protection from them is well understood.

For power lines there are millions of fuses which will blow if the automatic reclosers are not fast enough to open connections all through the grid.

You mentioned a nuclear generated pulse blowing the filimates of street lights in 1962. Fimiliants blowing in old street lights with the way they were wired in series to avoid using a transformer, and were not metered loads, back then was common when there were lighting storms as well. That method of wiring street lights is 60 years out of date. More to the point street lights with filaments have not been much used during my entire lifetime.

The last thing you said about treaty and goodwill (and baloney) is as good as it gets. Nothing superior to that has ever been figured out.

If Russia were to explode several pulse explosions in the upper atmosphere as you are suggesting they could get away with it. I would expect Russia would not get away with it. They would be very sorry they pull that stunt.

It's not the damage if any from a pulse that would cause that firm reaction from US. It's our deterrence policy which would demand a strong reaction. If they use even one of them, we unload our whole wad on them. That's in the rules of this game.

I would imagine that what you are suggesting would draw a response where we'd go after every their entire nuclear force at land and at sea. We'd blow up their missile silos with small nuclear warheads, and we'd sink their missle subs were ever we found them. And I would think we'd find all of those missle subs. I think we've been able to track them with satellite imagery beneath the surface for years.

I doubt there are sources that say it's BS... I certainly don't think it is BS, it is what it is. As I said before EMP pulses are naturally occuring and can be created, the limits are well understood. Shielding for the protection from them is well understood.

For power lines there are millions of fuses which will blow if the automatic reclosers are not fast enough to open connections all through the grid.

You mentioned a nuclear generated pulse blowing the filimates of street lights in 1962. Fimiliants blowing in old street lights with the way they were wired in series to avoid using a transformer, and were not metered loads, back then was common when there were lighting storms as well. That method of wiring street lights is 60 years out of date. More to the point street lights with filaments have not been much used during my entire lifetime.

The last thing you said about treaty and goodwill (and baloney) is as good as it gets. Nothing superior to that has ever been figured out.

If Russia were to explode several pulse explosions in the upper atmosphere as you are suggesting they could get away with it. I would expect Russia would not get away with it. They would be very sorry they pull that stunt.

It's not the damage if any from a pulse that would cause that firm reaction from US. It's our deterrence policy which would demand a strong reaction. If they use even one of them, we unload our whole wad on them. That's in the rules of this game.

I would imagine that what you are suggesting would draw a response where we'd go after every their entire nuclear force at land and at sea. We'd blow up their missile silos with small nuclear warheads, and we'd sink their missle subs were ever we found them. And I would think we'd find all of those missle subs. I think we've been able to track them with satellite imagery beneath the surface for years.
Should we tell him about the Carrington event and how we've really no idea how strong or when they might be?

Should we tell him about the Carrington event and how we've really no idea how strong or when they might be?

Last may the dire event predictors were busy generating that very fear in some of the media reporting. The resultant solar storm really was quite spectacular.

The thing about the Carrington event was that it was recorded as well as it could be for the time. There's a way down the road to determine when a larger or smaller events occur. All we have to do is record the rise in global carbon 14 levels. We'll know in about a year.

The Carrington even in the 1800's caused a rise in the global C-14 level of about one percent. If last May's level 5 solar storm were comparable the C-14 levels will have risen by around one percent as well.

Last may the dire event predictors were busy generating that very fear in some of the media reporting. The resultant solar storm really was quite spectacular.

The thing about the Carrington event was that it was recorded as well as it could be for the time. There's a way down the road to determine when a larger or smaller events occur. All we have to do is record the rise in global carbon 14 levels. We'll know in about a year.

The Carrington even in the 1800's caused a rise in the global C-14 level of about one percent. If last May's level 5 solar storm were comparable the C-14 levels will have risen by around one percent as well.
StarTalk did a nice episode on the coming solar maximum. It got a little flakey on info and that's when it was admitted we simply don't know because we aren't much more capable than that event.

I'm reminded of the last episode of the walking dead I watched. With the world falling apart all around and zombies attacking them, Rick and the Governor where too busy fighting each other to handle the real issue of the world falling apart and zombies attacking.

Stopped watching because I don't think the show could possibly have a more accurate assessment of the human condition. I hear it went down hill from there.

Last edited:
This is going on in the West Pacific region. This is our stuff, the airport video was taken on Guam.

This is the first post of a long detailed thread, click on it to see the rest of it.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom