Ukraine (22 Viewers)

Their Primary concerns internally:
1) Orban keeps changing the constitution legally and is making himself an elected dictator.
2) Orbans' policies my lose 40/BN in euros earmarked for Hungary.
3) He is a Putin devotee and wants to go back to the 1970's-80's Soviet bootlicking.
4) Although Highly unlikely now, joining Ukraine in becoming satellite countries again.
5) Getting kicked out of both NATO and the EU because of domestic and international policies.

Concerns externally:
1) That Ukraine is extremely corrupt. Hungary identifies as central Europe and believes Eastern Europe is inherently untrust worthy.
2) Funding to help with the refugee crisis will be pulled and Hungary will be bankrupted.
3) Highly unlikely now, but they were concerned about artillery and missiles hitting inside the border.
4) People with relatives crossing the border being arrested for harboring "terrorists" because they may have crossed before The major refugee flood and getting a government document.

Those were their concerns roughly 6-8 weeks ago. Their internal concerns are the same with one added and its a major add. They believe Orban needs to leave office dead or alive to avoid a civil war.

The primary hope is he leaves for health reasons and becomes a negative footnote in history. Many of my friends, again aged 40-65, feel that there should be a trial/probationary period for Ukraine in joining either NATO or the EU, and definately if they apply for both.

Concerns/ Wants Externally:
1) They believe Ukraine is still corrupt but was trying to clean itself up. They are willing to join other Balkan countries in helping Ukraine ship its grain.

2) They want him to open the borders for non-lethal aid (food, blankets, meds..etc.). They hope the EU keeps the funding in place for refugees.

3) The two biggest concerns are education and healthcare. The increased number of students in schools, lack of common language and history are my friends biggest concerns. The worry is that lack of interest in Hungarian history and language will lead to misbehaving or worse.

Healthcare is the other concern. If Covid or Monkeypox decides to become an annual event, their hospitals will be overwhelmed. They (and appearantly some Romanians) want military hospitals set up along the shared borders inside Ukraine. If you are old enough to remember M*A*S*H, they want the non-life threatening/altering injuries treated there.

4) Food/Blockade relief. They want Hungary to open the border to Ukrainian trains bring grain into the country. While they aren't under the illusion that it will make a huge difference, it will help.

Breaking the blockade seems to be fairly straight forward (to them). You can sail from Odessa into Romanian and other NATO waters without entering Russian controlled water. Basically, Russia would have to violate NATO sovereign areas to stop it.

According to them, a few sea mines near Odessa would need to be detonated/disarmed and the ships could get through. Romania has a few shore patrol craft (I'm picturing coast guard cutters) that could/would locate mines and then either snipers or a grenade launcher would take them out. We (America) also have helicopters and drones that can be used to find mines and possibly detonate.

I hope I didn't lose much in translation. Their concerns seem extremely personal to them, and some of the solutions are "idealistic". I readily admit to not knowing much about their history and politics, but everyone of them said they now understand how their parents felt 1989-91.
Yes I copied and pasted my response on page 462-463 at the top.

Starting to see more reports that Ukraine has recaptured most of Severodonestk.

And killed another Major General
Ukraine cannot win with Russia’s endless and merciless pummeling with missiles and rockets. The Russians know that is the way tp eventually win. Scorched earth, essentially. They will just pummel and pummel, until there is basically nothing but piles of rubble.

As a matter of fact. They are hitting Kviv once again with missiles.

I know it is probably a bridge too far.. but I still wish we could give Ukraine TLAMs.

I know we cannot because the 1500+ mile range means one could conceivably be parked in the Kremlin lobby... and weapons of that sort would be a big change in tone for the conflict.

Still wish we could.

Ukraine cannot win with Russia’s endless and merciless pummeling with missiles and rockets. The Russians know that is the way tp eventually win. Scorched earth, essentially. They will just pummel and pummel, until there is basically nothing but piles of rubble.

Ukraine can't afford to lose... And the western world can't afford to give Putin a victory less the his next "targets" is a nato member

Russia cannot win, they cannot hope to hold/occupy any gains they might make. Their economy WILL falter as their artifical bouying bubble is burst and the EU's plan to replace their gas/oil matures in 9months or so. Their supplies of weapons systems and ammunition is already in their deep reserves and Ukraine has a perpetual munitions machine backing them up.

It's a crap doctrine.

You are leveling the places you need to TRAVERSE to continue the push. Or places you plan on defending.

When you level towns and blocks of cities, it leaves you little options for cover during movement, defense and rest. Hence the reason Ukraine Army continues to have major successes in counter artillery and attacks.

It's a crap doctrine.

You are leveling the places you need to TRAVERSE to continue the push. Or places you plan on defending.

When you level towns and blocks of cities, it leaves you little options for cover during movement, defense and rest. Hence the reason Ukraine Army continues to have major successes in counter artillery and attacks.
Not to mention the complete destruction of Ukraine's infrastructure negates any gains for the Soviets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom