Ukraine (14 Viewers)

I'm reading that 30 were KIA not 300. For it to burn like that, I can only assume that it was either an ammo depot or fuel storage.

I can only imagine the people living close enough to hear the screams. I can't imagine the mental trauma they are experiencing.

Has anyone heard anything from the SR poster who's working over in Russia? He had posted on here a few times, but hadn't seen anything lately.
I’m still here…alive and kicking. Lots of military activity here in Belgorod with it being a staging area for troops into and out of the front lines.

As you can tell from the fact that I’m here working, I have a bit of an adventurous personality. Last week it just about got me deported or at worse, thrown in a Russian prison! I was traveling with three Russian colleagues to visit a problematic production site near Rylsk. If you look at the map, there are two ways to go from Belgorod to Rylsk. One way is to go North on the M-2 (main highway to Moscow) towards Kursk and then head west to Rylsk. The other way is to skirt the Ukrainian border via Sudhza. Of course, we picked the latter. I was tracking our journey to the farm and noticed that we passed very close to the border just outside Sudhza…and that there was a village road from the highway to the border.

So on the way home, I had our driver hang a right off the highway at the village of Sverdlikovo. If you look at Google maps, you can see the village road looping around the village with a branch leading to the border. I guided the car through the small village and we got to the end of the road. You could see a barricade had been placed across the road and about 200 meters in the distance was the border fence. The road had been cut and barricaded back in 2014 when hostilities commenced over the annexation of Crimea. It was a lovely afternoon and the village was quite picturesque…

As we stood outside the car looking at the border (and of course I was taking photos with my phone), out of nowhere appeared two Russian soldiers with assault rifles pointed right at us! They wanted to know what we were doing in the Exclusion Zone. There is no entry to this 5 km zone along the border without a pass issued from the local security services and foreign nationals are expressly forbidden! Their lieutenant appeared and he was not impressed with our trespassing and especially became quite irritated when he saw my US passport.

He insisted that he had to call his superiors to find out what to do with us…at that point I figured his options were to let us go or shoot us as spies. So there we waited under guard and after a few minutes, the two soldiers seemed to relax as soon as they moved us out of sight of the border fence. The reason…snipers had been shooting at them for the last few days from the other side of the fence and a few random artillery rounds had fallen in the area. So here we were…three soldiers including one officer and four idiots right out in the open along with a very white car. Perfect targets for snipers or an artillery spotter!

About an hour later, off in the distance from the village, I see an army vehicle approaching. It got to our location and four soldiers got out led by a Colonel. They inspected the car and looked at our passports. Some questioning about what we were doing there and didn’t we know it was an exclusion zone. Then came the moment of anxiety. The Colonel instructed one of his soldiers to ride in the car with my three Russian colleagues and I was placed in the army vehicle at gunpoint.

Off we went to Sudhza to the army HQ and FSB (new KGB) office. About halfway there, the Colonel turned to me and said, “Andrew..you in big trouble”. So here I was separated from colleagues, in a Russian military vehicle with a Colonel, under guard at gunpoint, heading to a freakin’ FSB office. Needless to say, I was beginning to regret my curious nature.

We arrived at the army base…passed through a few secure gates and then led into the FSB headquarters. They let my translator come with me and the other two were segregated into another interrogation room.

I’ll finish the rest of the story tomorrow…:)

on another note.

If i was a RF soldier and told to "hop on" this BMP/MTV to get a ride to the front.

im declining and walking at this point. Wont post here, but have now seen several ATGM strikes on tracked vehicles carrying troops.

I’m still here…alive and kicking. Lots of military activity here in Belgorod with it being a staging area for troops into and out of the front lines.

As you can tell from the fact that I’m here working, I have a bit of an adventurous personality. Last week it just about got me deported or at worse, thrown in a Russian prison! I was traveling with three Russian colleagues to visit a problematic production site near Rylsk. If you look at the map, there are two ways to go from Belgorod to Rylsk. One way is to go North on the M-2 (main highway to Moscow) towards Kursk and then head west to Rylsk. The other way is to skirt the Ukrainian border via Sudhza. Of course, we picked the latter. I was tracking our journey to the farm and noticed that we passed very close to the border just outside Sudhza…and that there was a village road from the highway to the border.

So on the way home, I had our driver hang a right off the highway at the village of Sverdlikovo. If you look at Google maps, you can see the village road looping around the village with a branch leading to the border. I guided the car through the small village and we got to the end of the road. You could see a barricade had been placed across the road and about 200 meters in the distance was the border fence. The road had been cut and barricaded back in 2014 when hostilities commenced over the annexation of Crimea. It was a lovely afternoon and the village was quite picturesque…

As we stood outside the car looking at the border (and of course I was taking photos with my phone), out of nowhere appeared two Russian soldiers with assault rifles pointed right at us! They wanted to know what we were doing in the Exclusion Zone. There is no entry to this 5 km zone along the border without a pass issued from the local security services and foreign nationals are expressly forbidden! Their lieutenant appeared and he was not impressed with our trespassing and especially became quite irritated when he saw my US passport.

He assisted he had to call his superiors to find out what to do with us…at that point I figured his options were to let us go or shoot us as spies. So there we waited under guard and after a few minutes, the two soldiers seemed to relax as soon as they moved us out of sight of the border fence. The reason…snipers had been shooting at them for the last few days from the other side of the fence and a few random artillery rounds had fallen in the area. So here we were…three soldiers including one officer and four idiots right out in the open along with a very white car. Perfect targets for snipers or an artillery spotter!

About an hour later, off in the distance from the village, I see an army vehicle approaching. It got to our location and four soldiers got out led by a Colonel. They inspected the car and looked at our passports. Some questioning about what we were doing there and didn’t we know it was an exclusion zone. Then came the moment of anxiety. The Colonel instructed one of his soldiers to ride in the car with my three Russian colleagues and I was placed in the army vehicle at gunpoint.

Off we went to Sudhza to the army HQ and FSB (new KGB) office. About halfway there, the Colonel turned to me and said, “Andrew..you in big trouble”. So here I was separated from colleagues, in a Russian military vehicle with a Colonel, under guard at gunpoint, heading to a freakin’ FSB office. Needless to say, I was beginning to regret my curious nature.

We arrived at the army base…passed through a few secure gates and then led into the FSB headquarters. They let my translator come with me and the other two were segregated into another interrogation room.

bruh...

He insisted that he had to call his superiors to find out what to do with us…at that point I figured his options were to let us go or shoot us as spies. So there we waited under guard and after a few minutes, the two soldiers seemed to relax as soon as they moved us out of sight of the border fence. The reason…snipers had been shooting at them for the last few days from the other side of the fence and a few random artillery rounds had fallen in the area. So here we were…three soldiers including one officer and four idiots right out in the open along with a very white car. Perfect targets for snipers or an artillery spotter!

Doood, what you is doing?

oh-no-baby-what-is-you-doing.jpg

Man, I'm calling my superiors and saying "bring me the fork home... NOW!!!"

I love a cliffhanger!!!

Dude, you HAVE heard the story about curiosity and the cat?!

A very good podcaster on that subject made a point in one of the episodes about the Romans and their military conquests - whenever an enemy/target to conquer was proving to be problematic or difficult to conquer, the prideful Romans would just keep throwing men and resources at it to eventually win - regardless of the costs in lives, money, equipment, or time it took. They had almost infinite resources in that regard.
Is that Dan Carlin / Hard Core History?

The very definition of "utter devastation".

When the Russians were defending Leningrad against the Nazis, they had soldiers waiting for the guy in front of them to get killed so that they could get their weapon and continue the fight. This type of warfare is hardwired into their psyche.
I'm not sure the same mentality exists in the Russian psyche now.

I also think it only really applied when there was an existential threat to Russia, and as much as Putin tries to spin it Ukraine probably does not present an existential threat to Russia in the mind of most Russians.

Historically the Russians have performed poorly in elective wars like this. (Crimean War, Russo-Japanese war, Winter War, I would argue WW1 to some extent, although they were protecting Serbia, the Tannenberg offensive was a total disaster )

It seems like those Russians who actually support the war are chickenhawks, I don't see them rushing to Russian Army recruitment centers.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom