Ukraine (29 Viewers)

a zoomable map that I found - can't vouch for the accuracy but seems pretty good.

I am still struck by the fact that despite all of the noise and the initial failed knockout blow to topple the government, the facts on the ground don't seem to have changed much in 6 months. Seems more like a WWI-style conflict than 21st century warfare. No end in sight and nobody pushing for peace talks....
Why push for peace talks with Russia? They have demonstrated time and time again that they don't honor anything that they say, much less put on paper and sign.
It's much harder to gain ground when you have to retake a village/town/city that belongs to you, has your citizens in it, and is occupied not only by enemy troops but collaborators as well. Nothing like a no man's land of empty field seperating two armies still using 1800 style fighting.

Not you, lol.

Mr Sparkle- who doesnt quite understand why there are no negotiations toward a resolution happening.

Russia does not negotiate. When they do, its for "appearances only" and whatever conditions they agreed to, simply will be broken within days.

I honestly don't believe it ever got to the Ukrainians.

It probably didnt lol.

The whole Russian Federation is a corrupt, me-first, state.

Its unfortunate for those young, bright and sensible Russians that simply cannot overcome the "status quo"

Not you, lol.

Mr Sparkle- who doesnt quite understand why there are no negotiations toward a resolution happening.

Russia does not negotiate. When they do, its for "appearances only" and whatever conditions they agreed to, simply will be broken within days.

If that were actually the case they would've continued to storm through Georgia in 2008 or Moldova in 1992. The idea that total destruction of Russian forces is the only thing that will stop them is incorrect, IMO.

I understand why there are no negotiations happening - I just think its a foolish mistake not to engage. 'We' will end up across the table with them eventually. It's just a matter of how long we wait.

If that were actually the case they would've continued to storm through Georgia in 2008 or Moldova in 1992. The idea that total destruction of Russian forces is the only thing that will stop them is incorrect, IMO.

I understand why there are no negotiations happening - I just think its a foolish mistake not to engage. 'We' will end up across the table with them eventually. It's just a matter of how long we wait.
In all of those places Russia maintains an illegal foothold. They occupy land that is internationally recognized as belonging to Moldova, Georgia, and Ukraine.

They do so because it keeps those nations from being able to join NATO as joining while occupied would trigger article 5.

That way they can continue their push to support insurrection, sepratists, and plans to bite off more territory in the future without the worry of direct western involvement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom