Ukraine (18 Viewers)

Total chaos in that part of the world right now. Tajik and Kyrgyz forces are fighting over enclaves and Azerbijani and Armenia are fighting over enclaves. I wonder if Georgia will look to take back what Russia stole from them in 2008?
Reminds me of Deebo getting knocked out in Friday,

Putin has delayed his address by 1 day. There has to be a contingent that sees a planned escalation only leading to rejection by the Russian people.

For Erdogen to come out and declare Crimea as Ukraine is something I didn’t think I would see even when Ukraine wins, much less prior to the sham referendums
That's not exactly what I heard him say in his interview on the PBS NewsHour last night. He gave a really strange answer (starting at about the 28:00 mark) in which he referenced return to the "rightful owners" and then referenced the Crimean Tatars. I do think he is pushing for the return of Crimea to Ukraine...but as an initial step toward greater Turkish influence on the area.

Certainly, the "enemy of my enemy" applies in this regard, but Ukraine needs to tread carefully with Erdogen on this.

Last edited:
Get out the popcorn, putin/kremlin is going to put on a show! If he declares martial law and mobilization, there will be a mass mobilization alright, just not the one he is hoping for.

I've been wondering....why hasn't russia used high altitude bombing? Surely they have a few of them hanging around? Does Ukraine have deterrent AAW equipment? Does russia not have any operational bombers? I would have thought that if putin had this capability, he would have carpet bombed Kyiv by now. And I haven't seen anyone talking about this which makes me think it's not an option. But why isn't it?
The biggest high altitude bombers Russia has are those very old Tupolev Tu-95's turbo prop bears. They're something like 70 years old. It would be like us still using B-36's or even B-29's. They have 42 of them left.

Every single one of them would get shot down on their first mission.

Almost as big, they have 15 of the newer Tupolev Tu-60, they were the soviet answer to our B-1 bombers. They are fast mach 2, but they would probably lose half of any of them they were to send up over Ukraine. They are forty years old but apparently they are now building 10 more of them because they don't have a newer design worked out.

They also have 66 of the old medium sized Tupolev Tu-22's. They are the Soviet answer to our F(B)-111 swing wing fighter bombers which we took out of service in the 80's and 90's except for a electronic warfare varent, which survived until around 2010. I would regard those as being the ones which might survive the best. About one third of them being shot down during each mission.

We don't have anything which would do much better over Ukraine except for our few remaining B-2's, and F-22, and our new F-35's They would be wasted doing old fashioned WWII style carpet bombing however because they are able to do pinpoint bombing.

Our old B-1's, and even older B-52's would also all get shot down during their first or second mission over this modern battlefield. I also wouldn't want to be over this battlefield in a F-15 or F-16 either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom