Ukraine (20 Viewers)

I agree, but at this point it’s hard to imagine Russia remaining democratic in its current physical make-up. Maybe, someday, if the Asian parts separate into their own countries leaving a “European” Russia that can once and for all look west and dispense with grandiose notions of an empire.

But I don’t see it. The Russians truly are genius in so many ways - maybe a bad analogy, but almost every genius-level person I’ve met in my own life had a screw loose.

A democratic Russia is a much smaller Russia. The Caucasus, Siberia, and Far East would all splinter off in potentially multitude of ways. You can't have a real democracy if you treat the vast portion of country as a colony.

I agree, but at this point it’s hard to imagine Russia remaining democratic in its current physical make-up. Maybe, someday, if the Asian parts separate into their own countries leaving a “European” Russia that can once and for all look west and dispense with grandiose notions of an empire.

But I don’t see it. The Russians truly are genius in so many ways - maybe a bad analogy, but almost every genius-level person I’ve met in my own life had a screw loose.
All they seem to know is some sort of authoritarian form of government. People tend to stick with what they know.

Michael Weiss is a reliable and well-published free-lance journalist covering international affairs and wars. He has been reporting on Ukraine since the 2014 Russian invasion.

When the war in Ukraine becomes Weekend at Bernie's.

(There's a photoshop there, but I'm not doing it).

"Russian warship: go blyat yourself!" Did I use that right?

I like how the de-tankinated turret lying on the ground looks kind of like a skull.
A skull is what I see too. A skull pin like what one would pin to their collar, or use as a hat pin, if they wanted a skull hat pin.

:)

Ukrainian and Russian is not like English in that they have several words that serve that guttural purpose. Blyat in Latin script, or 'блять' as it would be written in Cyrillic script was used in order to make a pun of the German 'blitzkrieg' that usage was using a noun as if it were a verb. So it was not quite grammatically correct, they were forcing a pun so that is why they choose to use that word. Because the Latin scrip of it kind of looks like the German word 'blitz'. They added the z for that purpose as well.

What 'blyat' literally means is a woman who works in the worlds oldest profession, however it generally is used in slang to mean 'fork'. In slang it means 'fork' for non reproductive purpose, implied to be heterosexual sex with someone who is not your wife.

To say "go "blyat' yourself" would be verbifying a noun, which is not wrong but that noun is not the nearest noun, so the word that would be generally be used if someone is not trying to force a pun with it would be 'hui' in Latin script, or 'xyй'' in Cyrillic script. The literal meaning is that word is the male reproductive organ. The way say "go fork yourself" would be ‘Idi na hui’. 'Иди на хуй' for it to be written in Cyrillic scrip.

Another word that might be used is, and the one which is a true verb is 'ye-bat', or 'ebat'. Which in Cyrillic scrip would be spelled as 'e6atb.' But using that most correct word wouldn't flow out of the mouth as smoothly as 'hui' and for phrases flow is an important factor too.

Translating from Russian or Ukrainian to English is not very easy. The languages are of dissimilar language groups.

Another one of those awesome very long threads by Kamil Galeev. This one covers the technical aspects of data analysis. Namely what is source information in terms of it being myths, or remnants. With a focus on remnants being the most useful data, and while not completely ignoring myths, relegating them to a back burner.

This loads the first tweet of this long thread. Click on "read the full conversation on Twitter" to see the whole thread.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom