Ukraine (26 Viewers)

Capt. Obvious here. I keep coming back to this when I see the attacks time and time again: Every missile fired, every apartment building, energy utility, and innocent life that is destroyed only further cements the iron will of Ukraine. Russia has created a unquenchable hatred against themselves, own their own doorstep, that will span generations.

What crap-disturbing, murderous, low-life idiots.
Is that the hospital and maternity ward that was hit? ABC World News said a 2 day newborn was killed. Whoever authorized the launch, whoever initiated the launch and whoever was present for the launch can go straight to hell.

if i may---

this thread has been my source for everything i need to know about this conflict. The posts have been informative--shocking--inspiring and beyond everything i can get get from other sources.

i love you all-- i love your contributions.

Can we please keep it on topic? 72 raccoon blurbs are unnecessary when this thread is dedicated to an historic struggle of nations.
Hey, kinda same here, but I've noticed over the last 8+ months that occasionally folks need a bit of a mental health break on this thread and go off on a bit of a tangent for a few pages. I've done it also and I think it's ok so long as it doesn't go beyond that.

So, a good reminder, but I also think it's ok every once in awhile.

if i may---

this thread has been my source for everything i need to know about this conflict. The posts have been informative--shocking--inspiring and beyond everything i can get get from other sources.

i love you all-- i love your contributions.

Can we please keep it on topic? 72 raccoon blurbs are unnecessary when this thread is dedicated to an historic struggle of nations.
While fair, occasional comic relief in the face of struggle is something I welcome. The raccoon stuff is that for me. But I can see how we can get carried away with it on occasion too.

Hey, kinda same here, but I've noticed over the last 8+ months that occasionally folks need a bit of a mental health break on this thread and go off on a bit of a tangent for a few pages. I've done it also and I think it's ok so long as it doesn't go beyond that.

So, a good reminder, but I also think it's ok every once in awhile.
Yeah, I think change of pace every now and then is good for really ongoing threads like this. Keeps it fresh and also prevents getting too overwhelmed with the weight of the suffering and carnage from the war.

It helps seeing excerpts where soldiers have their own comic relief even when faced with tragedy. We don't want to forget our humanity through all this.

Yeah, I think change of pace every now and then is good for really ongoing threads like this. Keeps it fresh and also prevents getting too overwhelmed with the weight of the suffering and carnage from the war.

It helps seeing excerpts where soldiers have their own comic relief even when faced with tragedy. We don't want to forget our humanity through all this.
In the first couple of months of the war I was recovering from a health problem that caused me retire. So I was watching the different news outlets coverage of the war pretty much all day. It got to point, I realized, that it was effecting my health negatively. Their wasn't a lot of good news and pictures of atrocities were every where.

I got better and so did the news. You have to find a way to numb yourself somewhat to the pure horror of it.

So yeah, a little humor is definitely welcome.

( But let's find new joke. ;) )

Here's today's ISW report, it has been announced that there will not be a report tomorrow, Happy Thanksgiving:

"The Russian military conducted another set of massive, coordinated missile strikes on Ukrainian critical infrastructure in a misguided attempt to degrade the Ukrainian will to fight. Ukrainian Air Force Command reported on November 23 that Russian forces launched 70 cruise missiles and five drones at Ukrainian critical infrastructure targets.[1] Ukrainian Air Force Command reported that Ukrainian air defenses shot down 51 of the Russian cruise missiles and all five drones.[2] The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Russian forces struck residential buildings, thermal power plants, and substations in the city of Kyiv as well as in Kyiv, Vinnytsia, Lviv, and Zaporizhia oblasts.[3] Ukrainian, Russian, and social media sources claimed that Russian forces also struck targets in Ivano-Frankivsk, Odesa, Mykolaiv, Kherson, Cherkasy, Dnipropetrovsk, Sumy, Poltava, Kirovohrad, and Kharkiv oblasts.[4] Ukrainian officials reported widespread disruptions to energy, heating, and water supplies as a result of the Russian strikes.[5] ISW has previously assessed that the Russian military is still able to attack Ukrainian critical infrastructure at scale in the near term despite continuing to deplete its arsenal of high-precision weapons systems.[6] Ukrainian Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Malyar stated that the Russian military mistakenly believes that the destruction of energy infrastructure will direct Ukrainian efforts to protect rear areas and divert Ukrainian attention away from the front in eastern and southern Ukraine.[7] Malyar stated that Russia’s campaign against critical infrastructure will not weaken the motivation of Ukraine’s civilian population, and the Ukrainian Security and Defense Council Secretary Oleksiy Danilov asserted that Russian missile and drone strikes will not coerce Ukraine into negotiations.[8]"

"Prominent Russian politicians continue to promote openly genocidal rhetoric against Ukraine. Moscow City Duma Deputy and pro-Kremlin journalist Andrey Medvedev posted a long rant to his Telegram channel on November 23 wherein he categorically denied the existence of the Ukrainian nation, relegating Ukrainian identity to a “political orientation.”[9] Medvedev called Ukraine a pagan cult of death that worships prisoner executions and called for the total “liquidation of Ukrainian statehood in its current form.”[10] This rhetoric is openly exterminatory and dehumanizing and calls for the conduct of a genocidal war against the Ukrainian state and its people, which notably has pervaded discourse in the highest levels of the Russian political mainstream. As ISW has previously reported, Russian President Vladimir Putin has similarly employed such genocidal language in a way that is fundamentally incompatible with calls for negotiations.[11]"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom