Ukraine (21 Viewers)

So runway’s are only concrete and not asphalt?
Generally they are concrete, sometimes parking areas and taxi ways are paved. It doesn't matter insofar as burning because while pure asphalt will burn, asphalt that has been made into pavement generally will not because of the added sand and fine gravel.

When it does burn a bit it's because fuel was on fire on top of it, and it's only at the end of the fire if it gets hot enough that the paving will burn a little bit. It will not sustain flame on its own.

I don't think that was a JDAM, one can generally see a JDAM coming down. They're pretty big and slow. I watched it a dozen times and never could see one coming down.

That secondary explosion created such a large bright fire ball above that it cast an intense band of light across the ground which quickly moved away. I think it moved away as the fire ball climbed into the sky.

I think that it was 155mm artillery, and the first shell created a hell of a secondary explosion, and that last one possibly lit off a much smaller secondary explosion. Or maybe it was just what it was blowing up in that caused that fairly large white cloud. Maybe masonry dust, that building looked like it was made of concrete and plaster.

There was one between the first and last which missed behind and to the left, which didn't do that much except look like a 155mm shell hitting in an open field.
Seemed like a small explosion for even a Mk-82. First round could have been a GLMRS launched SDB, I suppose.

A lot of the stock footage they were showing of munitions were not JDAMs (but a lot were, too).

Jamming of JDAM's is a real thing. They have several generations of technology for the bombs, and I'm sure the newer generations are because of Russia. That version - SABR-M - isn't out yet. Another issue can be that the bombs likely don't have GPS signals being fed to them from the planes, which help keep them correctly oriented for longer. The coming generation of JDAM requires the jets to be upgraded to use the upgraded guidance package. And that is a very deliberate and planned out process. No telling what generation of JDAMs that Ukraine received.

So turns out that major fire is in Russia.

I don't know if that makes any sense, that would be at least 400 miles from Ukraine in Kazan.

I suppose it could be there is industry there. Ships could sail there on the Volga river, there is a port there, and there would be fuel there that could burn.

But I don't think a British missile launched from a Ukrainian aircraft would have the range.

I don't know if that makes any sense, that would be at least 400 miles from Ukraine in Kazan.

I suppose it could be there is industry there. Ships could sail there on the Volga river, there is a port there, and there would be fuel there that could burn.

But I don't think a British missile launched from a Ukrainian aircraft would have the range.
There was some conjecture that spec ops would have been able to slip into civilian traffic headed out of the Belgorod area during that incursion. Vans with small drones could have gotten 400 miles relatively easily.

A fuel depot wouldn't need much to get going.

The storm shadow strike in Berdyansk was on the port. Not airfield

I think that's where the confusion is coming from...initial reports were airfield.

The storm shadow strike in Berdyansk was on the port. Not airfield

I think that's where the confusion is coming from...initial reports were airfield.
I watched the video again in full screen and it looks like a port. That kind of port is sort of like an airport for ships. It will have large concrete parking areas, even more fuel than where aircraft are, and big trucks. I saw trucks over that concrete wall near and perhaps even in the fire. I didn't see a ship but there might have been one there behind the fire.

Doesn't look like a penal colony but there is one near there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom