Ultimate Onion Soup (1 Viewer)

My first batch didn't turn out. I'm gonna put a second batch under pressure for longer but I'm not feeling lucky. I've never been lucky with just making a really good stock either.
The instant pot is good at extracting some of the flavors but it doesn’t get the water out to get the right texture. You still need to cook it down for a while to boil off a lot of the water.

I use the ham version in my beans and it's great.
That's almost 100% salt.

One day when you have the time, make it from scratch.

As Marsha said, it's hours of simmering which in my world equates to 5 minutes of prep and periodic checks. You can make months worth in an afternoon and it freezes perfectly and saves money.

That's almost 100% salt.

One day when you have the time, make it from scratch.

As Marsha said, it's hours of simmering which in my world equates to 5 minutes of prep and periodic checks. You can make months worth in an afternoon and it freezes perfectly and saves money.
I've made ham stock when I've had a ham bone leftover but that's rare and the other way is easier and cheaper.

I've made ham stock when I've had a ham bone leftover but that's rare and the other way is easier and cheaper.

Some people cook to eat. Some don't care about food. Your posts lead me to believe you cook because you like to and the results make you smile. If powdered, cubed and imitation stock makes you smile then by all means continue. I cook because I enjoy the process, the result and learning about it. I'm by no means a professional, but I do use the time on the stove or grill to feed myself and family and to let my mind wander away from the daily drudgery of work. I've got some of the chicken base in the fridge for emergency, but nearly every bone from every chicken ends up in a stock pot. Same with ham and beef. For me, it's also that I don't like the saltiness, but as long as the results are what you like it's all good!

I have the chicken Better than Boullion. Man that stuff is salty.

I just gave up the bone broth experiment. It tasted like crap and didn't gel. Oh, well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom