Ultimate Onion Soup (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't use black garlic to get umami
sheetake mushrooms, tomatoes (in the stock), parmesan cheese (on top), or even nutritional yeast would work better

Yeah I like the idea of using mushrooms here.

If you use dried shiitakes keep and use the water you rehydrate them in, or use your stock to rehydrate.

I wouldn't use black garlic to get umami
sheetake mushrooms, tomatoes (in the stock), parmesan cheese (on top), or even nutritional yeast would work better

I'm not necessarily trying to get umami. I only mentioned it because the jar of black garlic said it has umami flavor.

I think I'm gonna try a French onion soup with my new Foodi cooker today. Gonna head to the store to get the ingredients i need. Will post pics if I remember to before eating, lol.

I think I'm gonna try a French onion soup with my new Foodi cooker today. Gonna head to the store to get the ingredients i need. Will post pics if I remember to before eating, lol.

Make sure to carmarlize the onions properly, meaning they are dark brown which takes 45 minutes to an hour. It makes a world of difference. Like the difference between the meal being a 5 to a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

Make sure to carmarlize the onions properly, meaning they are dark brown which takes 45 minutes to an hour. It makes a world of difference. Like the difference between the meal being a 5 to a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

Thanks for the tip, will try that. I think the instructions say to sautee the onions before adding the other ingredients for the main cook.

Thanks for the tip, will try that. I think the instructions say to sautee the onions before adding the other ingredients for the main cook.

Correct. Add some olive oil to the butter because it'll prevent the butter from burning since you'll be sauteing them for awhile.

Use whatever recipe you want but mine is fantastic. Plus my recipe is technically a couple of recipes put together that I've pretty much perfected. Everyone on here knows how much I love onion soup.

@DaveXA I have to assume that you have finished cooking it by now. How did it turn out? I'm curious to see how the tomato paste and soy sauce worked with it. That's the first recipe I've seen calling for those ingredients.

@DaveXA I have to assume that you have finished cooking it by now. How did it turn out? I'm curious to see how the tomato paste and soy sauce worked with it. That's the first recipe I've seen calling for those ingredients.

While is came out alright, it's definitely not a typical French onion soup. The tomato paste wasn't noticeable at all. Never would have guessed it was in there. I think the soy and worcheshire sauce worked. I used French bread. I think a different kind of bread would work better, a bit too much bread and not enough soup.

Part of the issue was that I didn't set the pressure valve correctly and it cooked away a lot of the liquid. When I figured out I needed to set the valve the right way, it was too late. At least I know what I need to watch for next time.

Might try a different kind of cheese. Mozzarella wasn't bad, but I'd like to try some different things, maybe next weekend. The onions were good, flavor was actually pretty great. Just not enough soup. I might add a bit more beef stock next time and keep the rest the same. The cheese was crisped up nicely. For a first try, it really wasn't bad. I'll experiment with it some. Maybe different cheese/bread. The soup itself was tasty.

20200517_175520.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom