Ultimate Onion Soup (1 Viewer)

I just saw that Walmart, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have black garlic so I have to buy it and I'll be giving that a try as well.

That toasted onion salt seasoning is this, toasted onion, sea salt and parsley. It's also in a grinder. I'm thinking of adding it to the ramekins before putting the toast and cheese in them.

So I talked to @kewee and have some things I'm going to try Sunday night. First thing is instead of 8 cups of beef broth from a carton I'm going to do a mixture. 6 cups of bone broth is one change. The other is I'll mix a spoonful of roasted beef broth but instead of 2 cups of water I'm going to use 1 cup of water and 1 cup of beef broth from a carton. Also the toasted onion salt I mentioned is going to be lightly ground into the ramekins before I add the toast and cheese. I'll worry about fresh thyme and fresh parsley in the future. But thanks kewee! I haven't tried it and yet know it's going to be far superior to what I was doing before.

This is one of the recipes I used towards my onion soup. What I want to know is what qualifies as good cognac since he doesn't say what he used. You do see him use it.

The biggest thing I can tell you, scorp, is to always taste when your cooking. I'm sure you know that, but before you ladle it into the ramekins, make sure it is seasoned right.

The biggest thing I can tell you, scorp, is to always taste when your cooking. I'm sure you know that, but before you ladle it into the ramekins, make sure it is seasoned right.

I'm not sure if this is an Emeril idea or not but someone says that if you aren't tasting then you aren't cooking. I feel like I only have to worry about the toasted onion part with my current future recipe idea.

I'm not sure if this is an Emeril idea or not but someone says that if you aren't tasting then you aren't cooking. I feel like I only have to worry about the toasted onion part with my current future recipe idea.
It's up to you, but that part could be totally optional...you could put it on there after it's done if you are afraid it will mess all of it up.

It's up to you, but that part could be totally optional...you could put it on there after it's done if you are afraid it will mess all of it up.

I'm doing the ideas you helped me come up with for sure. No need to worry about that. I already came up with the order for it.

I'm doing the ideas you helped me come up with for sure. No need to worry about that. I already came up with the order for it.

In other words, after I pour the soup into the ramekins I'll grind some toasted onion salt on top then put the toast on top with the cheese on top of that with the parsley flakes on top of that and then put them in the oven.

Man, bone broth is expensive. 12 dollars for 7.5 cups worth. They didn't have the roasted beef base so I'll try a different store tomorrow.

Bone broth should be fairly easy, throw in beef bones (the cheapest you can find), with some aromatics like garlic, onion, parsley, carrot, bay leaf, whatever, and then simmer covered in water on low for a few hours.

Find some cheap oxtail or shank for that. Hit with a little salt/pepper, heat a little oil in pot, brown a couple at a time to avoid overcrowding them. Brown in batches, then when all are done, put back in, add all aromatics, plus water to cover, and simmer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom