Ultimate Onion Soup (1 Viewer)

Find some cheap oxtail or shank for that. Hit with a little salt/pepper, heat a little oil in pot, brown a couple at a time to avoid overcrowding them. Brown in batches, then when all are done, put back in, add all aromatics, plus water to cover, and simmer.

Do you think that would be cheaper than 12 dollars and I mean the whole amount of stuff? That's how much the bone broth I bought was. If it isn't like 8 dollars or less then it's not worth the work in my opinion. Maybe to try it once and then maybe I'd change my mind if it's excellent.

Bone broth should be fairly easy, throw in beef bones (the cheapest you can find), with some aromatics like garlic, onion, parsley, carrot, bay leaf, whatever, and then simmer covered in water on low for a few hours.

I have a beef stock recipe from Galatoire's that they use for the turtle soup they make but it involves veal. It's definitely not cheaper than 12 dollars.

I'm going to post the Galatoire recipe for turtle soup with the brown stock recipe. The pictures are too big to post on here so I have to tweet them and post the tweets.

Do you think that would be cheaper than 12 dollars and I mean the whole amount of stuff? That's how much the bone broth I bought was. If it isn't like 8 dollars or less then it's not worth the work in my opinion. Maybe to try it once and then maybe I'd change my mind if it's excellent.

Per ounce it should be cheaper but you will make quite a bit more. It should freeze well.

I just did the Portle soup idea which is pork in place of the turtle. I think chicken would work as well. What do you guys think of that idea? Chicken definitely works with the tomato aspect of the recipe I included so I think it would be good. Not as good as the turtle and maybe pork but it's even cheaper than both of those.

I just did the Portle soup idea which is pork in place of the turtle. I think chicken would work as well. What do you guys think of that idea? Chicken definitely works with the tomato aspect of the recipe I included so I think it would be good. Not as good as the turtle and maybe pork but it's even cheaper than both of those.

I think chicken would be ok, but not as good as pork. I am not generally a fan of chicken with tomatoes. It would work, though.

I just wanted to thank @buzd and @kewee and @LonghornSaint for their knowledge and helping me with my onion soup. I pretty much make onion soup once a month so in a month from now I'll make my own bone broth. While mashed potatoes and gravy is my hands down favorite food on the planet onion soup is probably my current favorite thing. I'm sure that doesn't surprise anyone since I've been talking about it since last September.

Scorpius, you get that bone broth down, you will save money in the long run, and plus, you use it in your chili and it will blow the doors off any chili your buddies have ever made.

Scorpius, you get that bone broth down, you will save money in the long run, and plus, you use it in your chili and it will blow the doors off any chili your buddies have ever made.

I've never made my own chili before. I'm thinking of doing one in either my Dutch oven or Foodi hotpot.

I've never made my own chili before. I'm thinking of doing one in either my Dutch oven or Foodi hotpot.
Do yourself a favor and buy dried chile pods online.
1. rehydrate in hot water
2. puree in a blender
3. aliquot 1 cup per ziploc freezer bags
4. profit

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom