UNC slaying suspect also charged in Duke killing (1 Viewer)

Hmm
Atwater was convicted of felony breaking and entering in 2005 and illegal possession of a firearm in 2007. He also received a suspended sentence.

I'm not a legal expert, but aren't those two charges together a clear warning sign?

http://www.duke.edu/~am114/

The above seems to be the personal webpage of the Duke student who was murdered. Looks like a pretty smart guy with a devotion to family. Just goes to show how easily human talent can be destroyed.

No offense to the anti-death penalty posters on this thread, but I have only five words to say...
"Strap 'em to the gurney!"

st. dave

Wow, I also never imagined that the two murders would be connected. Durham police had already arrested four suspects in the Mahato break-in and charged two of them with murder, so I didn't realize there were still additional suspects on the loose. I'll tell you one thing - I'm really careful now when I take my dog outside to go to the bathroom late at night, and I've given very serious thought to getting a concealed handgun permit. Of course, since I spend much of my time on campus at Duke, it does not do me a lot of good to have a concealed handgun and have to keep it in my car. So I probably won't bother with it.

Hmm

I'm not a legal expert, but aren't those two charges together a clear warning sign?

Exactly.
And this despite the fact that there were these laws passed mandating federal time if a convicted felon is caught with a firearm.
It doesn;t work because the priorities are drug dealers and celebrities who do things like solicit prostitution and fight dogs.

Wow, I also never imagined that the two murders would be connected. Durham police had already arrested four suspects in the Mahato break-in and charged two of them with murder, so I didn't realize there were still additional suspects on the loose. I'll tell you one thing - I'm really careful now when I take my dog outside to go to the bathroom late at night, and I've given very serious thought to getting a concealed handgun permit. Of course, since I spend much of my time on campus at Duke, it does not do me a lot of good to have a concealed handgun and have to keep it in my car. So I probably won't bother with it.

Just curious, do you have a weapon for your home?

Exactly.
And this despite the fact that there were these laws passed mandating federal time if a convicted felon is caught with a firearm.
It doesn;t work because the priorities are drug dealers and celebrities who do things like solicit prostitution and fight dogs.

In this case it didn't work because the DA was Mike Nifong...and he had other things on his agenda.

Jan

In this case it didn't work because the DA was Mike Nifong...and he had other things on his agenda.

Jan

YEah, but I was talking about the federal law. If a convicted felon is caught with a firearm the state turn them over to the feds, presumably because the feds are supposed to incarcerate them. But as I said, the feds don't make it a priority - they have other things they want to deal with.

Jan

Actually, wow, that's an excellent point I hadn't considered. But I think you're correct, it would have been Nifong. He was the DA from April 2005 to June 2007 and the Duke Lacrosse case would have dominated his attention from March 2006 to when he left the DA's office.

Just curious, do you have a weapon for your home?

No. I've only shot one gun in my life (a hunting rifle when I was 15) and I have no idea how to load, shoot, or store them. Plus, since my roommates tend to be the liberal, progressive, grad student type, I can't imagine they'd be thrilled to have a gun in the house. Still, they'd probably be thanking me if my gun saved their life.

Exactly.

Actually, the hearing on the probation violation was scheduled for Wake County, which is where Raleigh is. Nifong was the DA for Durham County.

No. I've only shot one gun in my life (a hunting rifle when I was 15) and I have no idea how to load, shoot, or store them. Plus, since my roommates tend to be the liberal, progressive, grad student type, I can't imagine they'd be thrilled to have a gun in the house. Still, they'd probably be thanking me if my gun saved their life.

Nonetheless, you can't bring a gun into the house if everyone else disapproves (not fair to them). Still, I'd consider broaching the subject. Do they have a shooting range around there? You can usually sign up for instruction there which would probably be a pre-requisite. In fact, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think some states require you to take certain safety courses for a concealed weapons license anyways.

Either way, this is a personal subject so don't let me step on any toes. But my personal belief is that it's unfair and not reasonable to expect the government to be solely responsible for your own personal well-being and care. And considering the governments track record in that (from medicare all the way down to re-establishing law and order after Katrina) it's not conducive to your own security anyways.

So taking steps to secure your own well being, from private retirement accounts all the way to your own firearm, is a smart thing to at least consider, even if you decide it's not needed or just not for you.

Sorry to come across as an NRA pamphlet though (and I'm not even a part of the NRA which I consider as absurd as most special/single interest groups :hihi: )

So taking steps to secure your own well being, from private retirement accounts all the way to your own firearm, is a smart thing to at least consider, even if you decide it's not needed or just not for you.

My only concern is that I tend to be a rather volatile person, although I've gotten a lot more chill as I've gotten a little older. Still, I'm not sure I entirely trust myself with a weapon and worry that the dangers posed by my having a firearm are greater than the dangers of not having one.

My only concern is that I tend to be a rather volatile person, although I've gotten a lot more chill as I've gotten a little older. Still, I'm not sure I entirely trust myself with a weapon and worry that the dangers posed by my having a firearm are greater than the dangers of not having one.

You could consider some other options, like a tazer. Granted certainly not as effective as a firearm, but, probably wont raise as many objections from roommates as a gun might. Also, Im not sure about your state,but in mine, the homeowner has to be aware of, and agree too, a firearm being brought into the house, or its illegal, something I would consider if your all renting from someone else.

Taking a CCW class is a sobering experience, if taken at the right place. There were at least 6 people in my class that opted to not buy and carry a gun after taking the class. It wasnt the gun, it was the responsibility that went along with owning and carrying one.

Anyway, heres some food for thought, this site is somewhat rightwingish (given the demographic) but there is ungodly amounts of info on all aspects of firearm ownership, and Concealed carry, and to me, its worth it.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/index.php

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom