Uncertainty at the LT could be a blessing in disguise (1 Viewer)

Lee Newell

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The new emphasis on the running game is more of an indictment on the LT spot. I just don't believe that Sean Payton wants to put Drew Brees at risk by passing as much as we have been. On top of that, our O-line's strengths are run blocking with Grubbs, De La Puente, and Evans in the middle. Streif is also a better run blocker than pass protector. It's the left side that's in doubt so you have to run more than normal or at least closer to 50/50 than in 2012. I hope and pray that it shakes out that our LT position become a position of strength by mid-season, but until then, we have to run more. Just my two cents.

I hope terron armstead just beasts mini camp and becomes the LT starter and jason smith lives up to his potential finally not dealing with injuries and becomes the RT

I hope terron armstead just beasts mini camp and becomes the LT starter and jason smith lives up to his potential finally not dealing with injuries and becomes the RT

This! And maybe all the competition will light a fire under Charles Browns' rear and he puts up this year. Also interested to see what Marcellus Jones has to offer and Bryce Harris is still on the roster so sumn gotta shake. I guess I'm a little more optimistic than most when I say I like the talent and potential we have at both Tackle positions.

The innovative offensive mind that is Sean Payton has had an entire year off to study all aspects of the NFL and college football games. I believe that he spent his time wisely! Devising new offensive strategies and schemes, as well as consulting his mentor Bill Parcells in the art of defense. I think that Payton has an honest to goodness new found vigor for smash mouth football.

Payton's last memory of being on a football field was at Candlestick Park where we were "out-physicaled", in what was probably the most epic playoff game I have seen in my lifetime. So, needless to say Payton has had time to reflect on MANY things and our team will most definitely be better off for it.

This! And maybe all the competition will light a fire under Charles Browns' rear and he puts up this year. Also interested to see what Marcellus Jones has to offer and Bryce Harris is still on the roster so sumn gotta shake. I guess I'm a little more optimistic than most when I say I like the talent and potential we have at both Tackle positions.

Oh ya between Armstead, Brown and Smith the talent is there, its actually a ridiculously "talented" group but lets just hope they perform

I think the new emphasis on the running game had more to do with last years abysmal performance and less about the uncertainty at LT. It's not like we have terrible options, just don't know who's starting.

I'm trying hard to not be cynical when I hear Sean say he's going to emphasize the run more.

I'm trying hard to not be cynical when I hear Sean say he's going to emphasize the run more.

I like what Mike Triplett from the Times-Picayune always says. He states that Payton's take on the run game isn't based on the number of carries, but the number of yards per carry. Its about the efficiency of the run game with Payton. So, the emphasis will be placed on the quality, not the quantity.

I just hope we run the ball more so we stretch out drew careers a bit longer but I love to see Gram run through defenders it gives me goose bumps m so pumped for this season to start

I like what Mike Triplett from the Times-Picayune always says. He states that Payton's take on the run game isn't based on the number of carries, but the number of yards per carry. Its about the efficiency of the run game with Payton. So, the emphasis will be placed on the quality, not the quantity.

I've heard other coaches say that the number of carries are important. If you aren't locked into passing, you can wear down your opponent physically and mentally. It made sense when I heard it.

If Smith can beat out Strief I will be completely happy with our o-line AND our depth. We would haave Strief and Brown as 2 quality backups and our line would be loaded. This is all best case scenario thinking of course, but if Armstead and Smith can live up to their potential and become the starters, then the tackle position would become one of our biggest strengths. We would have 4 tackles on our roster with starting potential. Armstead, Strief, Brown and Smith. Even Harris has some starting experience.

Worst case scenario would be Smith being released, Armstead not ready, leaving Brown and Strief as the starters. That would have me extremely worried.

Oh ya between Armstead, Brown and Smith the talent is there, its actually a ridiculously "talented" group but lets just hope they perform

This^^

These guys all have probowl potential and its time 2 of them step up.

Here's a thought on Jason Smith he was drafted by Spags and his bad years were the 3 under Spags in St Louis last year with the Jets he graded out at a +6.4 Bushrod who had the best grade of our OTs last year only had a +1.5 he started to really turn it around last season and I think this year he will be a breakout player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom