Under the Radar Free Agents (1 Viewer)

GameBreaker

Underrated
Reaction score
We are little over a week from free agency and there are numerous discussions about the top free agents but lets talk about some under the radar free agents, like Nick Fairley last year.

A guy I have my eye on is Datone Jones, DL/OLB of the Packers.

Jones was drafted in the 1st round of the 2013 draft and was expected to play DE in the Packers 3-4. He was a little undersized for the position and after two seasons the Packers moved him to OLB. He performed fairly well in a reserve role even after putting on weight. Now at 6'4" and 285 lbs. if seems he may be playing out of position in the 3-4 as an OLB and could transition into a 4-3 defensive end. Ted Thompson has reportedly been interested in re-signing him to a 1 year deal and he has mutual interest however I think ML/SP/DA can convince him he may be better off changing scenery and position again.

What do you think? Are there any other under the radar guys?

not sure what we'd expect from him. He was clearly a bust as a first round pick, and the Packers declined the 5th year option. Only one sack last year, and averages 2 a year for 4 years. We already have guys that can do that. If the packers want to move on after 4 years when they didn't have to, I don't see any real upside unless we can bring him in for nothing and let him compete

DE John Simon, Houston Texans

Highly athletic player who is stuck behind Clowney and Mercilus on the depth chart. Could be exactly what we need as a 3rd down pass rusher.

Potential 3-4 outside linebackers Devin Taylor and Margus Hunt.

Two really great athletes.

Devin Taylor! Dude has all the potential in the world. He came up small in his contact year in Detroit though. 4.5 sacks as a full time starter.

That guy from the Panthers, A.J. Klein, could be a value signing. On the upside, he was able to learn behind Luke Kuechly.

AJ Klein and Morris Claiborne could be two low risk/high reward signings. Curious to see what their price tag is.

You'd have to bubble wrap Morris Claiborne the entire training camp. Injury prone ... Folks down in Dallas can't wait to see him gone. The last thing we need is another injury riddled corner back.

Pass.

You'd have to bubble wrap Morris Claiborne the entire training camp. Injury prone ... Folks down in Dallas can't wait to see him gone.

They always say: You're injury prone.... Until you're not.

Or something like that. Sometimes players with injury histories stay healthy while a player who's never missed a game goes to IR. You just never know.

Ya, these 2 guys are superior size/speed athletes, no doubt. But that being said, theyre both subpar football players who have seriously underperformed since entering the league. Hunt, more so, than Taylor. The Bengals need pass rushers just as bad as we do, & Hunt still couldnt get on the field. Taylor was thrust into the staring line up cause of the Ansah injury. But after a pretty nice start, he came plummeting back to earth in the worst way.

Hunt would be a pretty nice ST player cause of his kick blocking ability. But i would pass completely on Taylor. Because both guys are stiff & lumbering, lack that quick twitch explosion & edge bend, i think their better on the line at either the 5tech or as base strongside DEs.

Yes please. I much rather spend wisely and get some upcoming young talents who are just waiting to get an opportunity to play more significant roles instead of these high price free agents that could put a huge strain on the caps for years to come.

Ya, these 2 guys are superior size/speed athletes, no doubt. But that being said, theyre both subpar football players who have seriously underperformed since entering the league. Hunt, more so, than Taylor. The Bengals need pass rushers just as bad as we do, & Hunt still couldnt get on the field. Taylor was thrust into the staring line up cause of the Ansah injury. But after a pretty nice start, he came plummeting back to earth in the worst way.

Hunt would be a pretty nice ST player cause of his kick blocking ability. But i would pass completely on Taylor. Because both guys are stiff & lumbering, lack that quick twitch explosion & edge bend, i think their better on the line at either the 5tech or as base strongside DEs.

These two are both players i liked as olbs coming out of college who never got a chance to play there and there is nothing big and lumbering about them. Hunt is arguably one of the top 5 atheletes in the league.

I remember posting at length about them a few years ago

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/3...e-player-comparisons-results-[merged]-288142/

I hate when talents like this get used wrong.

Devin Taylor compares athletically to Aldon Smith as a linebacker and Hunt is athletic enough to be a 6'8 linebacker like Ted Hendricks. They also arent big names and can be had for less than guys like Nick Perry.

Imagine Rob Ninkovich at 4-3 DE or Paul Kruger. I think the results have been the same for these two playing in a 4-3.

I would sign both up as 3-4 olbs and draft a guy like Malik McDowell to play starting end/NT with Jordan and Rankins.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom