Under the Radar Players (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In its camp preview yesterday, the Advocate listed three "Under the Radar" players: Deonte Harris, Devine Ozigbo, and Taylor Stallworth. I think Ozigbo is in the right place at the right time. But I also think that the bottom quarter of this roster is wide open. There could be some real surprises at receiver, defensive back, linebacker and running back, and in the offensive line.

For example, the coaches for two years praised Cameron Tom, but when Ungar retired, we overpaid in free agency a less than average center, suggesting that the team lacks confidence in Tom, who is entering his third year. And then we moved up in the second round to pick a center, suggesting that the team lacks some confidence in Easton as well.

Who six weeks from now makes and does not make this team will surprise many. Again, I think the bottom quarter of this roster is open, so I am curious as to who are your under-the-radar players and more important the reasons for your choices.

Last edited:
Wasn't part of what they praised about Tom his versatility? He could play C and G. But yeah, I did think it was telling last year that we were happier to send out Andrus Peat with a broken hand in the playoffs instead of letting one of our healthy backups play.

In its camp preview yesterday, the Advocate listed three "Under the Radar" players: Deonte Harris, Devine Ozigbo, and Taylor Stallworth. I think Ozigbo is in the right place at the right time. But I also think that the bottom quarter of this roster is wide open. There could be some real surprises at receiver, defensive back, linebacker and running back, and in the offensive line.

For example, the coaches for two years praised Cameron Tom, but when Ungar retired, we overpaid in free agency a less than average center, suggesting that the team lacks confidence in Tom, who is entering his third year. And then we moved up in the second round to pick a center, suggesting that the team lacks some confidence in Easton as well.

Who six weeks from now makes and does not make this team will surprise many. Again, I think the bottom quarter of this roster is open, so I am curious as to who are your under-the-radar players and more important the reasons for your choices.

Unfortunately, I made the comment about Tom and Easton, but the main reason for this thread was to see who people think will be the surprise players of the camp who will make the team. I really don't know much about the undrafted free agents, though I know we signed a number and I am not comfortable with any of our draft picks after the first two selections. There will be some new players making the final roster and in late August some of the cuts are going to be surprising. I am really interested in hearing more about the most promising UFAs and some of the veteran players we recently signed.

Simmie Cobbs Jr is another player that I cant wait to see get an opportunity, we have acquired a lot of young talent that in our system (specifically on offense) can contribute and make a name for themselves as previous UDFA have shown to do.

I have to believe the Saints really like Cobbs. To keep him on the active roster of a championship contender after they signed him last season.. has got mean something.

I’d put Kaden Elliss on my list of under the radar guys.
Saquan Hampton
Kayvon Webster
Chad Hansen

I'm totally rolling w/Malcom Brown. He's consistently being tabbed as a 2gapping NT, but the man has a lot of untapped pressure player potential on the inside. Especially now that he's got Nielsen tinkering w/his game. Coming out of Texas, he was seen as a versatile DT who was a budding pass rusher. NE simply didnt use him in that capacity. I can see him evolving in our D and becoming a combo DT, kind of in the same way Sheldon has developed. Different dimensions and play styles, but ultimately having similar results on the field. I love the Cook get, but I personally think the best FA addition of the year could end up being Brown.

I have to believe the Saints really like Cobbs. To keep him on the active roster of a championship contender after they signed him last season.. has got mean something.

Saquan Hampton
Kayvon Webster
Chad Hansen

Kaden Ellis I feel will make a good special teams player before he sees the field as a defensive starter/reserve. Hampton I feel was drafted for depth and special tams play. Kayvon Webster I don't know enough about to really say who he could surpass with the guys already ahead of him and Chad Hansen (LB) may not have a spot for him as we have Biegel and Ellis filling out the roster.

We definitely have capable players that can fill out the bottom of our roster and develop as future contributors...The Saints did a good job scouting players that fit our system and the direction we want to go in terms of talent and athleticism.

Kaden Ellis I feel will make a good special teams player before he sees the field as a defensive starter/reserve. Hampton I feel was drafted for depth and special tams play. Kayvon Webster I don't know enough about to really say who he could surpass with the guys already ahead of him and Chad Hansen (LB) may not have a spot for him as we have Biegel and Ellis filling out the roster.

We definitely have capable players that can fill out the bottom of our roster and develop as future contributors...The Saints did a good job scouting players that fit our system and the direction we want to go in terms of talent and athleticism.

Chase Hansen is the LB... I was referring to Chad Hansen the WR we signed as a FA from the Jets/Pats.

The LB Chase Hansen I believe will be placed on IR and given the “red shirt” treatment

I don't think Taylor Stallworth is or will be underrated.

Just because he wasn't drafted doesn't mean he isn't a good player. I don't think he will be a HOFer, but from what little I have seen of him... he seems to be a good player. And with Rankins out, Stallworth is probably going to get a good long look.

Anyone remember John Randle of the Vikings?

I'm hoping that Alize Mack somehow becomes a surprise breakout player. Having a two headed T.E receiving threat and an excellent blocking one in Josh Hill on the same roster would be exciting. I realize it's unlikely Alize will have much of an impact this year. But it is good to hope and dream

RJ - Good stuff as always. Thx

I tend to see the McCoy pick as a systemic strategic piece of a Sean Payton led team going forward, especially with the sunset of Brees a sooner than later reality. SP seems to know that teams who make the playoffs nearly every year and make deep runs have powerful, dominant O-lines. I believe we will always see SP making moves nearly every year to continue to have more powerful O-lines. McCoy sure fits that mold hopefully for 5-10 years. Eaton just seems like insurance and if he can be a pretty serviceable guard, he with the other young backups, Clapp and Tom, could make Peat tradeable. Peat was terrible in the playoffs and almost cost us the Eagles game. One of his penalties and it was completely unnecessary resulted in a long TD being called back.

Saquan Hampton
Kayvon Webster
Chad Hansen

I like the Kayvon Webster pick. Another vet FA under the radar is Sylvester Williams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom