Saints Under the radar: TE Garrett Griffin (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
If there’s any player that has put in his time and has earned a real shot, it’s Garrett Griffin. He’s never really flashed just yet, but he hasn’t stood out for any blunders either. The Saints seem to like him, and he did catch a TD in a playoff game. He could step into a Flex TE/FB role a la Michael Hoomanawanui... He’s a very solid blocker, and he may even fill more of the Josh Hill role in reality..

Canal Street Chronicles:
“This is the Josh Hill role. And in 2021, it’s finally the Garrett Griffin role. If we’re being honest, Griffin deserves this. He’s been with the Saints since he came out of Air Force in 2016 and hardly anyone knows his name even though he caught a touchdown in the playoffs against the Eagles in 2018.

What I like about Griffin is his versatility. Hence “The F”. Last season, Josh Hill’s position was changed on the depth chart from “TE” to “F” because he often too snaps from the backfield as well. Griffin did that quite a bit at Air Force serving a bit of a fullback-tight end hybrid. This is why I believe he can step into Josh Hill’s role in 2021.

Griffin can take snaps from the backfield, in-line, in the slot and also plays special teams. his ability as a blocker will get him out of the field and his versatility will keep him there in multiple capacities. That type of value is something Sean Payton doesn’t turn a blind eye to.”

With the recent buzz about Juwan Johnson converting to TE, I think it’s smart to realize that Griffin isn’t just going to lay down.

The Saints could keep 4 TEs I guess, but the 4th will really have to earn it.

If Johnson makes the final roster, he’ll have to show real value as a Flex TE/WR... because I bet Griffin wins a spot.

Nothing about Griffin made me feel like he was anything but a guy holding a roster spot, this thread minus well be about Austin Carr.
Guys that do their job as blockers rarely get noticed by the casual fan. Griffin hasn’t just “held a roster spot” since 2016. They see something in him, and it all starts with his ability to block and be versatile in his role.

Can’t read the post because of the ad. I understand and have no problem with ads. But this kind of ad a reader can’t see past or get rid off will soon make him a non-reader? Your ads won’t do you any good then. 🤷‍♂️

The fact that Griffin has been able to be on a roster is good enough. I know there was a policy with athletes from military academies but not clear on how that works nowadays. They have kept him for the reasons mentioned, especially when someone got injured. It's going to be interesting to see what happens after Trautman and Vannett. Can't forget about Dylan Soehner as well, talk about a guy who has potential to be a red zone threat (or converted to a lineman given his size).

Can we just fast forward to camp already?

Can’t read the post because of the ad. I understand and have no problem with ads. But this kind of ad a reader can’t see past or get rid off will soon make him a non-reader? Your ads won’t do you any good then. 🤷‍♂️
I’ve experienced the same thing from time to time, and it really is very frustrating. I usually go to another thread and then come back and it gets rid of the ad.

He is so under the radar I forgot he was on the team!!!! Hope he contributes this year, we need someone a TE to step up....

He is so under the radar I forgot he was on the team!!!! Hope he contributes this year, we need someone a TE to step up....
I’m not saying he’s going to be some sort of Chris Cooley H-back revelation, but I do think that with his versatility and solid blocking skills, that he will earn himself an ancillary role in the offense... and prove to be a sneaky weapon in certain packages.

If there’s any player that has put in his time and has earned a real shot, it’s Garrett Griffin. He’s never really flashed just yet, but he hasn’t stood out for any blunders either. The Saints seem to like him, and he did catch a TD in a playoff game. He could step into a Flex TE/FB role a la Michael Hoomanawanui... He’s a very solid blocker, and he may even fill more of the Josh Hill role in reality..

Canal Street Chronicles:
“This is the Josh Hill role. And in 2021, it’s finally the Garrett Griffin role. If we’re being honest, Griffin deserves this. He’s been with the Saints since he came out of Air Force in 2016 and hardly anyone knows his name even though he caught a touchdown in the playoffs against the Eagles in 2018.

What I like about Griffin is his versatility. Hence “The F”. Last season, Josh Hill’s position was changed on the depth chart from “TE” to “F” because he often too snaps from the backfield as well. Griffin did that quite a bit at Air Force serving a bit of a fullback-tight end hybrid. This is why I believe he can step into Josh Hill’s role in 2021.

Griffin can take snaps from the backfield, in-line, in the slot and also plays special teams. his ability as a blocker will get him out of the field and his versatility will keep him there in multiple capacities. That type of value is something Sean Payton doesn’t turn a blind eye to.”

With the recent buzz about Juwan Johnson converting to TE, I think it’s smart to realize that Griffin isn’t just going to lay down.

The Saints could keep 4 TEs I guess, but the 4th will really have to earn it.

If Johnson makes the final roster, he’ll have to show real value as a Flex TE/WR... because I bet Griffin wins a spot.
I talked about this in the Josh Hill release thread. Most people forget when the RB room had to set he was called up to play FB. I could see him playing the hill role especially if Vannett doesn’t work out. I wasn’t expecting the Saints to sign a TE due to the cap so I was fully expecting Griffin to be the blocking TE.

#WhoisGarrettGriffin
Air Force Academy grad. Been a bubble player for the saints for a few years. First heard of him when he caught a TD in the 2018 NFC Championship game. Been rooting for him, glad to see he is still hanging on to the roster.

Juwan Johnson just switched to TE and is already a better prospect for the position than Griffin.

I think Griffin is/will be imployed more as an hback so he has value, but as far as receiving threats those balls will probably go to Trautman and Johnson.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom