Underhill Article & Interesting Fact from Reddit (1 Viewer)

Blessedog

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Underhill Article talks about what one of the team's biggest priorities should be this offseason: Adding Speed on Defense

“I’d say the stamp on the team, the thing that I would notice the most, is just the speed — the team speed that the Falcons have,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said during the lead-up to the Super Bowl. “They have a lot of fast guys. Defensively, they close up space very quickly. Their linebackers run well. Their defensive line, although they have a couple of big, strong, physical guys in there, overall they have usually nine or 10 players on the field that I would say are fast. They’re either as fast or faster than probably what the average speed of their position is in the league.”

This could be an area where New Orleans looks to improve this offseason. The Saints have only two players — Cam Jordan and Dannell Ellerbe — projected to start in their front who ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash before entering the league. Craig Robertson showed decent speed last season. Linebacker Stephone Anthony also possesses speed, but he was unable to stay on the field, and what his future holds is anyone’s guess.

Nick Underhill's analysis: One of the Saints' biggest goals this offseason should be adding speed to the defense | Saints | theadvocate.com

Totally agree, speed kills. They've got to be able to play smart though. Speed is irrelevant if they're going the wrong way.

The fact from Reddit is this:

"Last year the Saints had nearly $9 million count more against the cap in dead money than they had count against the cap for defense"

Gotta say that's pretty absurd. Really paints a picture of how cap strapped we were and the fact that we were competitive at all is a credit to the team and coaches.

We need functional speed that actually makes plays. But yes. Speed should be common enough.

It's why I think Adoree Jackson and Jabrill Peppers will fill two important roles. Both are returners and I think both can be impact players defensively. And in the front 7? Grabbing Reuben Foster would be just what the doctor ordered.

We need functional speed that actually makes plays. But yes. Speed should be common enough.

It's why I think Adoree Jackson and Jabrill Peppers will fill two important roles. Both are returners and I think both can be impact players defensively. And in the front 7? Grabbing Reuben Foster would be just what the doctor ordered.

Exactly, Anthony has speed but no instincts. Give me the blue color group during the super bowl run over speed any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping for Barnett or Foster, either of which would add some speed to our D and be an outstanding football player to boot. I wouldn't throw something at my TV if we drafted Solomon Thomas, either.

A lot of people on here (me included) laughed at some of Atlanta's picks in the draft. You have to give them credit, they went in with a plan and that plan was to increase the speed of their defense. While I'm never a fan of chasing the latest trends (big corners after Seattle's success), this is one that I think would really help the Saints defense.

I'm just impressed that Atlanta managed to do what it set out to do. That's harder than it seems.

Seems that for the last several offseasons, the Saints have had a good plan--improve the pass rush and get some depth at cornerback--and for various reasons (injuries, etc.) just keep failing to effectuate the plan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom