Underhill article on Dennis Allen's defense (1 Viewer)

Mojomajik9

Team Gleason
Reaction score
Really great read by Underhill. He gets into the nuts and bolts of DA's defense like no one else has. Underhill doesn't shy away from digging deep into the Xs and Os.

Simple, yet multiple and daring: Under Dennis Allen, the Saints want their defense to take the fight to the offense | Saints | theadvocate.com

Maybe the best way to understand Dennis Allen’s defense is to realize he isn’t going to settle for anything.

Even when playing Cover 2, one of football's more passive coverages, the Saints defensive coordinator wants his team to find ways to take the action to the offense. That’s always possible — even if the defense is showing a vanilla, bend-but-don’t-break look at the snap.

Even a look like that can turn into an attack defense. It depends on the cornerbacks. If those guys can evaluate the indicators properly and identify run or pass, Cover 2 can turn into a constricting run defense. It’s up to the cornerbacks to act aggressively. If they read the play correctly, they can pull in and turn a seven-man box into a nine-man box.

And there aren’t many running backs who are going to have success with that many players clogging the middle of the field.

“People think Cover 2, they think seven-man box; you’re not loading it,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “When your corners can really set the force at the numbers, then you pick up an extra defender, so you’re an attacking Cover 2.”

That mentality is a good summation of Allen’s vision for the Saints defense. It’s aggressive, nothing is as it seems and his players have the freedom to make an impact by reading and reacting.

The defense will be vastly improved. The narrative will be "Rob Ryan was just too complicated".

The reality is that Rob Ryan was forced to start players that can't even make this team or other teams as rotational players.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This is a good article.

One of the things that bothered me early on about this defense is that the corner would lineup 7-8 yards off of the CB.

It wasn't an issue during the first two preseason games, but during the last two, we were picked apart pretty bad.

The defense will be vastly improved. The narrative will be "Rob Ryan was just too complicated".

The reality is that Rob Ryan was forced to start players that can't even make this team or other teams as rotational players.

Most of those players are the ones he wanted..

I don't know... We have some bad recent history trying to do cover 2... I hope that I'm proven wrong.

Very good read. :9:

I see this group in the TOP HALF of the NFL (in every major category) in team defense.

With Allen, the Saints have a chance. They have been repping the same defense since midway through last season. The core principles have been installed, and everything else has been building on them. The early signs are good.

:gosaints:

I don't know... We have some bad recent history trying to do cover 2... I hope that I'm proven wrong.

Same here. I was hoping we would play more man coverage, since that is what GW ran when he was here. Looking at a few of the passing plays made against us, we were in cover-2. I don't think it's time to panic, but we're going to have to get a good pass rush to help out.

True, but he also couldn't get substitutions and alignments right

The article didn't say they will be locked into cover 2 nor that they'd never use man coverage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom