Underhill Article on Saints WR Blocking (1 Viewer)

Great stuff. Major praise by Strief:

“I don’t think it’s even close, they’re the best blocking unit that we’ve ever had,” Strief said. “Those guys have taken so much pride this year in their ability to contribute to the running game.”

Excellent article. Coleman clearly uses his size in blocking. And don't forget that Lampman, who hasn't played on offense, put out a video featuring his blocking.

The gif posted the other day of Ingram's 75 yard run shows Cooks on the far right blocking a defender. I assumed it was Coleman--but no, it was 10, not 16.

But everybody is sooo quick to want to cut Coleman. He was an undrafted free agent who happens to be our #4 wide receiver (which translates to about target #7). But he is a good blocker and still has upside in the receiving game. Very good role player for us.

Wanna add Josh Hill to the list. Hes been playing more of an H back n been put in motion on run plays. He's been like a pulling G, able to make some nice blocks esp downfield.

Happy for Coleman tho. His time here seemed to over earlier this year. But he found a way to stay on, playing STs, and as a blocker in the run game. And he's on pace for about 34 catches n 400 yds.

Nice contributions from your 4th WR.

Speaking of Hill n Coleman....

Against SEA, Coleman has a 38yd catch. Against SF, Hill takes in a 32 yd catch.

Both probably off playaction!

Man I love this O!

Last edited:
But everybody is sooo quick to want to cut Coleman. He was an undrafted free agent who happens to be our #4 wide receiver (which translates to about target #7). But he is a good blocker and still has upside in the receiving game. Very good role player for us.

everyone wants him to be the new Colston but it looks like he's fitting more in the Meachem role

Wanna add Josh Hill to the list. Hes been playing more of an H back n been put in motion on run plays. He's been like a pulling G, able to make some nice blocks esp downfield.

Happy for Coleman tho. His time here seemed to over earlier this year. But he found a way to stay on, playing STs, and as a blocker in the run game. And he's on pace for about 34 catches n 400 yds.

Nice contributions from your 4th WR.

Speaking of Hill n Coleman....

Against SEA, Coleman has a 38yd catch. Against SF, Hill takes in a 32 yd catch.

Both probably off playaction!

Man I love this O!

Interesting you'd note that. On Colemans catch it was off the flea-flicker/PA but he sold a crack block and Sherman bit and that's what allowed him to get behind him. He set it up by being a good blocker and making the DB respect that. Pure awesomeness

If your WR's and TE's can let your RB slip outside, he can pound on the DB's. They absolutely hate getting trucked by 215 pound RB's. It's a thing of beauty, and I love to see it. Shame on me.

People see a particular body and expect a particular type of player, but that's simply not always the case.

Sometimes big wide receivers aren't "possession" receivers. And just because our previous #1 blocking WR was also our best deep threat, doesn't mean that those two attributes will be present in the next iteration of wide receivers that our team has.

Your post is an excellent one. Coleman is a very reasonable #4 WR/#6 or 7 passing option, especially this year. He is cheap, well versed in the system, and he has been given plenty of chances to take bigger steps, so he probably doesn't have a bad attitude (probably very honest about his ability/opportunities).

If you are looking at areas where you can save a little on the FA $$$ and budget those more towards a pass rusher, LB, or Oline, I'd say resign Coleman for the next 3 years. He is certainly not the liability that so many made him out to be, simply because he was very tall, lol!

If you are looking at areas where you can save a little on the FA $$$ and budget those more towards a pass rusher, LB, or Oline, I'd say resign Coleman for the next 3 years. He is certainly not the liability that so many made him out to be, simply because he was very tall, lol!

I think Payton likes to put players like Coleman and Hill in people's faces all game long, and defenders reflexively avoid them. Then, on a 3rd down, bang, they get open.

Coleman is still very young, and we haven't seen his full upside yet. He will get thicker and stronger, and get a lot more football smart. Not saying he will ever be no. 1 or no. 2 material, but if the no 1 or 2 get nicked, I think Payton and Brees would be comfortable throwing to him 6-8 times a game.

Oh, and if Coleman gets nicked, Lampman is a beast too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom