Underhill article: Saints trying to improve against pick plays. (1 Viewer)

I mean, how long have we been bad this?

I would hope they’ve been looking to improve on these since the Giants ran what felt like 50 of them in 2015 and we failed miserably at defending it every time. It feels like we’ve maybe defended 1 out of 100 of these successfully.

If they know the receivers are going to run the pick plays, why can't we get on the line w/ the DBs and smash the receivers within 5 yards? Hell, smash them into each other and completely blow up the play. Albeit, you run the risk of getting torched if you miss, but is there another reason i'm missing?

Someone with more refined strategic knowledge help me out, please.

Pick plays really should be outlawed. It is very difficult to defend, even for some of the best in the leagues
They technically are if they happen outside of one yard past the line of scrimmage, which a lot of them do...and never get called.

If they know the receivers are going to run the pick plays, why can't we get on the line w/ the DBs and smash the receivers within 5 yards? Hell, smash them into each other and completely blow up the play. Albeit, you run the risk of getting torched if you miss, but is there another reason i'm missing?

Someone with more refined strategic knowledge help me out, please.
I agree. You see them lined up in what looks like a typical pick play situation. Just blow them all up at the line and see if they can even get into their routes.

I agree. You see them lined up in what looks like a typical pick play situation. Just blow them all up at the line and see if they can even get into their routes.
It’s legal within 5 yards, as long as the ball isn’t in the air, right?

It’s legal within 5 yards, as long as the ball isn’t in the air, right?

The pick happens before the ball is in the air, virtually every time. I'm almost certain that it's one yard for pick plays no matter what. The five yards is for other penalties.

From the same rule, Article 4 "Other Prohibited Acts by the Offense. Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference."

https://www.milehighreport.com/mhr-film-study/2013/12/10/5195218/nfl-rules-clarification-pick-plays

They don't mention the five yards at all in this article. I think the five yards thing is for when the ball has already been thrown, which is rarely, if ever, is on a pick play since it's designed to be a quick hit for a score by elimination a defender with a designed pick - sorry, I mean "crossing route."

I just think our DB's need to do a better job of passing off receivers in these situations so that they all just jam the guy right in front of them in press man coverage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom