Underhill: Depth on Saints defense stands out (1 Viewer)

BlackNGoldblood

Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
On that last one, a case could be made for each of Delvin Breaux, Keenan Lewis, P.J. Williams, Damian Swann, Ken Crawley, De'Vante Harris, Brian Dixon and Cortland Finnegan to make the team. And that's not even considering Jimmy Pruitt, who, in a normal year, would be making more noise.

Suddenly the team has all kinds of safeties. There are a few unheralded linebackers, such as Jeff Schoettmer and Tony Steward, who have stood out at various times.

The signings this offseason weren't flashy, but they're getting the job done. There's a middle class to this roster now, which wasn't the case last season.

It's going to be interesting on cutdown day.

Saints camp observations: Depth on defense stands out | Saints | theadvocate.com

We have a squad, gentlemen. These power rankings putting us in the low 20s are sure going to look silly a couple of months from now.

The media still views us as having a historically bad defense and also don't realize that our offense is slowly but surely putting together yet another greatest show on turf. The world got a glimpse last year, but Cooks-Snead-Thomas and now Fleener will be a top 5 unit and wait until they get a load of Ingram-Spiller-Lasco.

Still think we are one year away from really making a run but this year is a 7-9 - 9-7 team with a slight chance of 10-6. We'll need help in the injury from to stay above .500 especially with our oline woes but we've improved everywhere else from a year ago. I do think..had they know Erik Harris would have been as good as he's been we could have used that pick on a G but the secondary is important to this D and after all the Passrushers and other safeties gone we decided to pull the trigger on Bell b4 there was a distinct drop off.

Also a rumor we liked Thurney and the Pats refused to trade that pick with us then subsequently drafted him.

We've got an abundance of riches at S and nickel CB and I don't think we thought that would be the case looking forward to this point. So it's a good problem to have no doubt.

I will say this. with this schedule, if the Saints make the playoffs, they will most certainly be battle tested. i like our defense. they fly to the ball and gang tackle.

I will say this. with this schedule, if the Saints make the playoffs, they will most certainly be battle tested. i like our defense. they fly to the ball and gang tackle.

And that's what makes an opportunistic defense....if we force turnovers and can give the offense another possession or two a game, we could be looking at a double digit win team as early as this season.

I'm encouraged about the defense. If they can create a couple of turnovers a game then I see over 10 wins.

We have a squad, gentlemen. These power rankings putting us in the low 20s are sure going to look silly a couple of months from now.

The media still views us as having a historically bad defense and also don't realize that our offense is slowly but surely putting together yet another greatest show on turf. The world got a glimpse last year, but Cooks-Snead-Thomas and now Fleener will be a top 5 unit and wait until they get a load of Ingram-Spiller-Lasco.

The Offensive Line worries me. Everything else is looking very promising.

I think that the way it is going, the surprise may be Harris starting over Byrd. I am surprised with Harris, who I thought was a natural WILL. I wish Byrd had some trade value, but that is not the case.

I agree we are not yet to compete for the big prize, but we are building a very solid block.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom