Underhill digging at Swimmer and CP on Twitter (2 Viewers)

I am not going to speculate or say it is Underhill fault. I just want to know why. I have seen weird and over the top thread. It was always up to people on the forum to draw their own conclusion. I am a little surprise that someone that write for another team would even involve himself with an "average" fan speculations. I really haven't seen any local new people here mentioned anything regarding us trading or interested in Burrow. So why does it matter to Underhill if it does. It is all speculation. What Underhill post was about the Davenport trade and not the Burrow. So how does that thread related?

I'm guessing he was repeatedly asked. He repeatedly answered. But to stop the questions, he just answered on Twitter.

Look, I'm a college professor. Sometimes I'd have a giant class, like over 70 students. All it took was one person asking the TA if I was pushing the test back. The TA unwittingly responds, "he might". That turns into, 'the professor is pushing the test back!". So then I start getting emails. Is it true? When is the new test date? Etc. At first, I may answer each email. After a dozen or so, it's time to send a blast email to the entire class. "The test date has not changed! It's never been up for debate. See you on test day."

Fake news or not it is up to people on how they want to perceive it. It is a forum and people have their own opinions on whatever. It is not a news site. We just post twitters, rumors and whatever. If this site becomes regulated and censor because of outside influences, it will be more concerning than what Swimmer or Coach Pete have to say. You will see people get turn off and not be part of it anymore.

Nope. People will be turned off if they hear XYZ is a done deal and it's not sourced. Or it turns out to be a lie. If the "news" here turns out to be false more often than not, that's when they'll stop coming. It's the reason why most fansites dont last and this one has. People want a reliable source of information. That's why people show up here on when FA opens, on draft day, etc. Not even debatable.

I'm guessing he was repeatedly asked. He repeatedly answered. But to stop the questions, he just answered on Twitter.
About something 2 years old? Like I said, there are posters here with way more inside knowledge on the Saints than he could dream of. I bet most keep it to themselves.

Look, I'm a college professor. Sometimes I'd have a giant class, like over 70 students. All it took was one person asking the TA if I was pushing the test back. The TA unwittingly responds, "he might". That turns into, 'the professor is pushing the test back!". So then I start getting emails. Is it true? When is the new test date? Etc. At first, I may answer each email. After a dozen or so, it's time to send a blast email to the entire class. "The test date has not changed! It's never been up for debate. See you on test day."
Ok.....But it isn't your fault. Nor is it Swimmer. And I am not faulting Nick for his response. That's his opinion too. But my concern is for this forum to be affected by outside sources. This forum is not a new source. And I want to know why the other thread got closed down. I am hoping it wasn't because of someone outside of our community.

I disagree with you. All the news posted here comes from articles written by others. It's not breaking news, it's just a place to find it easier. Every member here is capable of using Google to find any news they need. This board wasn't started for Saints news, it was started for a discussion on Saints football. Don't make it into something it isn't.

Yeah you could. But you dont. You go to SR because all the news articles (real news) will be hear so you dont have to do the guess work. That's how you found this place. That's why you're here. The community just makes it better.

Nope. People will be turned off if they hear XYZ is a done deal and it's not sourced. Or it turns out to be a lie. If the "news" here turns out to be false more often than not, that's when they'll stop coming. It's the reason why most fansites dont last and this one has. People want a reliable source of information. That's why people show up here on when FA opens, on draft day, etc. Not even debatable.
That's not true at all. They will just dismiss anything posted by them in the future.

We are going rather far afield, and lines are becoming blurred. My sense is that the forum is an amalgam of social media and a news outlet.

We see the problem with blending the two. Facebook presents the same problem: is it social media or journalism? Journalism has standards, which are not adhered to in social media: standards of integrity and the promulgation of truth as opposed to just blurting out whatever comes to one's mind. Journalists who use social media are fogging up the distinction, which, in my view needs to be preserved.

That means that on the forum, there will always be a juxtaposition of all kinds of postings: speculation, alleged insider information, news, banter, disputation, etc. I would argue that all of us ought to keep open minds about the postings, with the understanding that there will always be these various elements and that the only things that matter are civility and openness.

But that doesn't mean that nonsense should be posted, but rather called out in a civil way. And for heaven's sake, let's try to have some fun!

Look I don't believe the Burrow speculation. I said it many time in that thread. But I respect Swimmers and his friend for giving people something to talk about. If people want to believe it and take it to heart, then that is their problem.

Well...can you at least explain why the other thread was frozen so that future threads don’t have the same fate. Was it as simple as you and Nick didn’t like it?
That’s exactly the reason! 100% the reason! It came across as super sour because someone got upset! People saying oh Underhill isn’t that good, UH-OH let’s lock this thread down! Yet Swimmer was taking it in the teeth for about. I dunno.... 1000 posts!!! No concern there...

funny stuff

Ok.....But it isn't your fault. Nor is it Swimmer. And I am not faulting Nick for his response. That's his opinion too. But my concern is for this forum to be affected by outside sources. This forum is not a new source. And I want to know why the other thread got closed down. I am hoping it wasn't because of someone outside of our community.

They have their reasons. I doubt it was external but I trust them and I just had a thread whacked on EE a couple weeks ago so I get it. But often, they're dealing with parts of the picture we dont see. I gave my speculation but who knows.

Yeah you could. But you dont. You go to SR because all the news articles (real news) will be hear so you dont have to do the guess work. That's how you found this place. That's why you're here. The community just makes it better.
I don't read 99% of the articles posted here. I came here for the community responses and discussions about Saints football. I don't care if there is ever another article posted. Possible inside information is far more valuable than any article.

We are going rather far afield, and lines are becoming blurred. My sense is that the forum is an amalgam of social media and a news outlet.

We see the problem with blending the two. Facebook presents the same problem: is it social media or journalism? Journalism has standards, which are not adhered to in social media: standards of integrity and the promulgation of truth as opposed to just blurting out whatever comes to one's mind. Journalists who use social media are fogging up the distinction, which, in my view needs to be preserved.

That means that on the forum, there will always be a juxtaposition of all kinds of postings: speculation, alleged insider information, news, banter, disputation, etc. I would argue that all of us ought to keep open minds about the postings, with the understanding that there will always be these various elements and that the only things that matter are civility and openness.

But that doesn't mean that nonsense should be posted, but rather called out in a civil way. And for heaven's sake, let's try to have some fun!
Yes I agree to this. There should be a fine line with posting something like rumors or speculations and make it like real news. True. However I don't have a problem with Swimmer thread, although I don't believe it, he stand firmly with what he said. He didn't hide from it and defended himself from all insults against him.

Agreed, it should just be labelled as such,i.e., Hearsay: or Rumor: and not "NEWS!!"

Because they didnt like it? Those same mods let it get to 70+ pages. You get real. In the past, undocumentable sources have always been tagged as rumor or speculation. They let the thread go on unchanged and I really think they did it because they have a soft spot for Swimmer not because they have it out for him.

The thread title is in fact misleading.

Along the way, the thread started to be presented more and more like the truth, as real news. As much as we want to believe it, it can't be called that. It's not the truth. It's not news.
So change the title it’s that simple!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom