Underhill: How the Saints can get under the cap (1 Viewer)

Anytime someone says the Saints are in cap oblivion, please send them this article.

It’s a pay link. But it answers every question.

For those that don't subscribe, why don't you summarize instead of just posting here is a link that if you don't pay, you get nothing out of the click?

Actually Nick makes his money on subscribers and he is worth every penny. Please don't hurt the man's living, if it were ESPN i'd agree with you.

Not trying to hurt his living, but it can still be summarized without saying everything. Those interested in more can subscribe for extra details. If you want to bring in revenue, that's how to do it.

Nick is 100% worth the subscription. You aren’t going to find better breakdowns and insight than Underhill. Not only that but the man took a risk to do this on his own and came back to New Orleans. Do yourself a favor and sign up.

This one is free!..

Thanks! And it makes a good point: "The 2021 list of free agents isn’t that daunting -- Winston, safety Marcus Williams, defensive end Trey Hendrickson, defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins and tight end Jared Cook are the biggest names."

You can't look at the cap in isolation. Right now the Bucs look great, but if they lose Sunday, you can't just say they are $22M under the cap. You have to look at who they have at FA. Among others (including Godwin, Fournette, etc.): two recent All-Pro OLB (Barrett and David), who will probably each command c. $15M in FA, and maybe more.

Last Sunday, those two were huge in preventing Kamara from running wild. With replacement-level OLB in Tampa next year, it's a different game.

So basically... Rankins and Cook are goners.

Marcus Williams and T-Rex are up in the air, but 1 or the other are likely to be kept around (w/an outside shot at both)

Ram and Latt could be extended (one or both)

Easton, Sanders, JackRabbit, Josh Hill, Kwon Alexander, Latavius Murray could all either be cut or re-worked... Same with Armstead (who could be extended by a couple of years before he enters the final year of his contract next season).

So let’s say that how it goes... Saints keep Marcus Williams and Hendrickson gets away for a big $$ FA deal... Ram and Latt are both extended... Armstead is extended... and Easton, Sanders, Alexander, Janoris Jenkins, Brown, and Murray are cut loose...

Taysom Hill and Winston (re-sign) battle it out for starting QB... and backup.

Saints NEEDS entering free agency and the draft are CB, LB, WR, TE, OL and DL depth, and another backup RB...

RBs and WRs are needs that can be drafted in the mid-to-late rounds.
CB and LB can be addressed in the first 3 rounds... TE and OL/DL depth either through bargain bin FAs or mid-to-late draft picks depending on BPA.

So basically... Rankins and Cook are goners.

Marcus Williams and T-Rex are up in the air, but 1 or the other are likely to be kept around (w/an outside shot at both)

Ram and Latt could be extended (one or both)

Easton, Sanders, JackRabbit, Josh Hill, Kwon Alexander, Latavius Murray could all either be cut or re-worked... Same with Armstead (who could be extended by a couple of years before he enters the final year of his contract next season).

So let’s say that how it goes... Saints keep Marcus Williams and Hendrickson gets away for a big $$ FA deal... Ram and Latt are both extended... Armstead is extended... and Easton, Sanders, Alexander, Janoris Jenkins, Brown, and Murray are cut loose...

Taysom Hill and Winston (re-sign) battle it out for starting QB... and backup.

Saints NEEDS entering free agency and the draft are CB, LB, WR, TE, OL and DL depth, and another backup RB...

RBs and WRs are needs that can be drafted in the mid-to-late rounds.
CB and LB can be addressed in the first 3 rounds... TE and OL/DL depth either through bargain bin FAs or mid-to-late draft picks depending on BPA.

Not sure I’d put CB that high on the list of needs unless Jenkins leaves rather than gets restructured.

Zach Baun has to be factored in at the LB spot. Not to mention a potential Kwon restructure.

That’s why I think we really need to invest in a speedy WR first. Get that third level passing game back to open things up for Thomas and Kamara at the first and second. Then, I agree, hit those other spots.

Not sure I’d put CB that high on the list of needs unless Jenkins leaves rather than gets restructured.

Zach Baun has to be factored in at the LB spot. Not to mention a potential Kwon restructure.

That’s why I think we really need to invest in a speedy WR first. Get that third level passing game back to open things up for Thomas and Kamara at the first and second. Then, I agree, hit those other spots.

After seeing Jackrabbit’s cap number for next season, and considering how well he played this season, I just don’t see him taking a pay cut or the Saints paying him that money... I think he’s one of the most likely cap casualties on the team. P-Rob is a solid spot-starter, but he wouldn’t cut as the starter (or stay healthy)... and P-Rob could be let go as well. Jackrabbit leaves and CB immediately becomes the biggest need IMO.

After seeing Jackrabbit’s cap number for next season, and considering how well he played this season, I just don’t see him taking a pay cut or the Saints paying him that money... I think he’s one of the most likely cap casualties on the team. P-Rob is a solid spot-starter, but he wouldn’t cut as the starter (or stay healthy)... and P-Rob could be let go as well. Jackrabbit leaves and CB immediately becomes the biggest need IMO.
(J) Jenkins got trashed on here so much but I thought he played great last season and in the playoffs.
P-Rob is never healthy and can’t be counted on for anything imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom