Underhill: How the Saints can get under the cap (1 Viewer)

I appreciate you guys sharing this story, and for those of you spreading the word.

I actually talked to Andrus last week and we're going to do some things to engage the community here a little more, probably with some Q&A thread and things like that.

I set up a code for anyone who wants to sign up for an annual plan on the site. You can save $10. Code is SRCoupon10. Link here to the page.

I signed up! Great write up, Nick. :9:

Enjoyed our conversation. Very enlightening. Wish I had reached out a long time ago.

Looking forward to your Q&A's here on SR.

-Andrus

It has zero to do with getting under the cap. Of course they will, with undertaking some drastic hits of losing some perceived good players, by some fan’s evaluations. They are going to have to part ways with a number of veterans and young players, that will get better money elsewhere. All said, the Saints are in cap hell, regardless of how, or who spins things. EVERYONE KNOWS THEY WILL GET UNDER TBE CAP! That is not saying anything, we as fans do not already know. But it is the challenge of deciding on what players to keep, to get under the cap, is the real challenge, Nick!

The over excited doom and gloom is people thinking we will have to gut the roster. We wont. I have us losing Kwon, Easton and either Trex or M.Williams, maybe both. That is just par for any offseason. Every other FA should be cheap enough if they really want them or they are done anyway.

The main issue I think you see this year is adding new people. We will struggle to get better unless through the draft. Especially in a year when you lose your QB, it will make us take a step back. This roster as it is will be fine though.

The over excited doom and gloom is people thinking we will have to gut the roster. We wont. I have us losing Kwon, Easton and either Trex or M.Williams, maybe both. That is just par for any offseason. Every other FA should be cheap enough if they really want them or they are done anyway.

The main issue I think you see this year is adding new people. We will struggle to get better unless through the draft. Especially in a year when you lose your QB, it will make us take a step back. This roster as it is will be fine though.

Exactly. Well-put.

We are going to have to draft well. We need a dynamic WR and depth/potential future replacements at LB, OL and DL and DB. Thankfully, we still have Ireland and four picks in the first three rounds.

I appreciate you guys sharing this story, and for those of you spreading the word.

I actually talked to Andrus last week and we're going to do some things to engage the community here a little more, probably with some Q&A thread and things like that.

I set up a code for anyone who wants to sign up for an annual plan on the site. You can save $10. Code is SRCoupon10. Link here to the page.
Thanks Nick!

Signed up, appreciate your work and the podcasts. Thanks!

Mind blowing how easy it would be to get under the cap and he even says we could make a BLOCKBUSTER move at QB if we choose to

yet you listen to some people and you’d think we are about to have to get rid of everyone and rebuild 😂

Signed up Nick, thanks for what you do!

Actually Nick makes his money on subscribers and he is worth every penny. Please don't hurt the man's living, if it were ESPN i'd agree with you.

Teasing people with information then telling them you have to pay is misleading. I’d rather you not post than use me for clickbait.

This day and age with COVID all money is precious; we all need to make a living.

Teasing people with information then telling them you have to pay is misleading. I’d rather you not post than use me for clickbait.

This day and age with COVID all money is precious; we all need to make a living.

I agree. I support Nick but I don't like this. This is basically just free advertisement in the most blatant clickbait manner. Which is a bad way to advertise imo, because the misdirection turns some people off.

Of course, Nick didn't post this so I don't blame him but it's just generally poor taste to me.

Summary: there are moves they can and likely will make to remain very good. So people can chill with the cap doom and gloom stuff.
Don't need a subscription to know that the Saints will need to let a couple non-essential veterans go, Brees retires after June 1st, extend Lattimore and Ramczyk to back-loaded contracts, have a handful of veterans (Armstead, Peat, Davis, Jordan, Onyemata, Jackrabbit, Kwon, Thomas, Sanders, etc) either convert salary to bonuses and spread over the rest of their contract, which may or may not require extensions which may or may not be voidable years.

Cook, Rankins, Brown, Morestead, Williams and Hendrickson are probably gone. The low-cost UFA like Robertson, Hurst, Washington, Hardee and PJ will probably not command much on the market and be available for veteran minimum contracts. No idea what will happen w/ Winston, but I feel the Saints have an edge to re-signing him after seeing he lack of interest in 2020 for his services.

Biggest hole on the team after QB is FS. Everything else is using the draft and UDFA to keep adding depth.

We have seen this before. The only difference is the $$$ over the cap which just means you work magic with more contracts than usual. Convert to bonuses, everyone gets their money and they all get to keep playing together which seems to be just as important to them as it is to us...

If the saints cut Murray, what are the cap implications? I tried to find a site to tell me but was unable to do so. Was wondering if they wouldn't cut him, draft a rb in the mid rounds/UDFA, sign Washington cheap and then bring back Ingram on a very low money deal.

If the saints cut Murray, what are the cap implications? I tried to find a site to tell me but was unable to do so. Was wondering if they wouldn't cut him, draft a rb in the mid rounds/UDFA, sign Washington cheap and then bring back Ingram on a very low money deal.

They could definitely do that. He’s set to count $4.2 million against the cap this year with a $1.7
Dead cap hit.

So we would save $2.5 by cutting him. Ingram would cost (I believe) around $1.1 on a minimum deal. So we could save $1.4 by making that exchange, I think.

Basically, it would save 2.5 mil on the cap.

Here is a site you could use:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom