Underhill -- Ken Crawley is showing growth while learning on the job for the Saints (1 Viewer)

I just wanted to sign him for depth in case of injury, not to come in and replace anyone. Yeah I agree we should just let the guys that are playing now keep getting that game experience and gaining confidence and having some continuity. But we still need some depth.

This

You still need depth, though. With as uńlucky as we've been with injuries with DBs, what happens if that bad luck continues? We're literally running out of bodies lol

And this. It is not a love affair per se but we are in desperate need for somewhat quality depth. If our dbs were all healthy then it wouldn't be an issue. We are one bad hit or cut away from being back into db purgatory.

The Saints will have a hard decision to make when Breaux returns. Crawley has played well on the outside, but so has Sterling Moore. Someone is going to be knocked out of the base defense.

It could make sense to have Crawley come on in nickel packages, with Moore sliding to the inside.

But having to pick and choose is a good thing. It means Crawley is making progress and playing well.

“Some of the things he’s really working on, he’s working hard to get those things down,” Glenn said. “For a guy that’s undrafted as a rookie and play against some of the competition he’s played against, he’s done a heck of a job.”

It wasn’t the plan, but something good could be emerging from the hardships the Saints have had to face because of injuries

I liked this quote from the end of the article. No one thought there would be any choices to be made when Breaux comes back, but Crawley's improvement is putting Glenn in a position where he'll have to consider Moore/Crawley as the opposite boundary corner in the base. I assume who lines up opposite Breaux will be based on the match ups presented week to week...

After week one, no one on this site thought Crawley would be progressing like he has. Matter of fact, most of us thought he was so bad that he'd need to be replaced this season but his dedication and work off the field has obviously paid off. You don't match up with Julio like he did and only allow 16 yards if you're not doing something right.

Yet people on here wanted us to pick up the panther trash. I would much rather coach up the guys we have and support them.

A lot of people were excited about Crawley in pre season, but you have to always be willing to pick up inexpensive depth. If the player has a great workout, you sign him, if not, you don't. If Crawley can really play, he's not going to be cut or held back by depth players.

Just wait until we improve our upfront push, Crawley and the gang will really flourish.

Well he will be tested this week coming up with the huge WR core of the Panthers. Lets just hope we can get some hits on Cam and run the ball against that Defense. We have to give Credit to the Bucs last night they played like their hair was on fire and managed to steal a win from a good team. I think that we should have our way on Offense but that up front play by the Panthers was much better than i expected to see last night. I think we need to put the Panther in a lonely place come Sunday and not look back.

Crawley reminds me of terronm super talented player forced to play too early and got beat bad his first game but then gets better every game.

I expect big things from him.

Or Breaux last year. Beaux early in the year had a lot of pass interference penalties and looked amazingly incompetent when he lost the ball in the lights again the Giants I think, but showed rapid improvement. I also think Breaux had a great breakout type performance vs Julio last year as well.

In regards to our defense, I think people get carried away sometimes with the spin, as our defense has been really, really bad this year injuries or not. But Crawley is definitely a reason for at least a little hope.

Man I can't wait to see our defense next season. This year will be huge for the future with young guys like Crawley and Bell getting crucial PT to fast track their development. Our secondary next season can go from being bad to a very very good group. That is without the addition of anyone which we will definitely have the resources to make. I'm not so sure I even want to add anyone for big $ in FA to our secondary. We need to go after a stud DE and possibly another LB in FA while allowing our secondary to continue to develop. I would like to see us get younger and more athletic at LB through the draft though with already having a couple of good vets. Breaux, Williams, and Crawley have the foundation to be a very solid trio that can only improve into next season. That's without any other surprises stepping up along with Swann possibly returning to form. CB is another area like LB I would rather see addressed through the draft then in FA. If Bell continues to develop and turn into what we expect alongside Vacarro then we could have one of the top safety duos in the NFL. You put a pass rush out there with these guys and this defense can be dominant.

This is a year to develop and go fill those last few holes in FA and the draft for next season. We are setting ourselves up to seriously compete for SBs over the next 3-4 years or however long Brees can play at a high level. I see us going into a very similar mold to the Broncos except I don't expect Brees to have as sudden of a fall off as Manning while having much better protection up front and wha looking like even better weapons at the skill positions.

This year was always setting up to be a "learning" year. There were simply too many young or new, albeit talented, players and there were still holes. Big holes.

It's almost better to have a few non-career threatening injuries to for the development of the team's depth, knowing that the starters are definitely playoff caliber, minus the aforementioned holes.

Next year, you will have experienced depth, you will have clearly defined holes to fill, you will have quality starters across the board, you will have elite talent at a minimum of 5 (out of 6) of the "prime" positions, and you will have a team that has become strengthened by the adversity of this year.

Breaux, Moore, Crawley, Swann, Williams. I get that there are *some injury concerns, but that is one very young and very talented group of CB's to go into 2017 with! (and a pretty inexpensive group as well)

I agree to disagree with Underhill ... I saw a walkin touchdown by a guy named Dontrell Inman(whoever that is) against Crawley and it was hard to say what he was doing or thinking on that play .... once Delvin is back, I won't be surprised one bit if Crawley is sent to the practice squad ...

I agree to disagree with Underhill ... I saw a walkin touchdown by a guy named Dontrell Inman(whoever that is) against Crawley and it was hard to say what he was doing or thinking on that play .... once Delvin is back, I won't be surprised one bit if Crawley is sent to the practice squad ...

very doubtful. I believe it would hurt his development if he is suddenly thrown back to the practice squad. He needs more playing time and we still need active players at that position. While he hasn't blown the league away, I feel that decent corner play is needed in this league and he has shown that he is at least competent in that position and someone will pick him off the PS.

Naw. Crawley is getting better. Yes he had a rough first few games, but I think that was expected out of an UDFA coming in. His play is noticeably getting better. While I'm not convinced we have the next Deion Sanders, I am thinking he can and will be no less than a solid CB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate what he's done, but if only he could have knocked down that dang pass to Victor Cruz!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom