Underhill: Nick Fairley and the Saints say they want to stick together, but will the money work? (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
snews.gif

By Nick Underhill

When keeping the view strictly on the field, determining that Nick Fairley should be a part of the Saints defensive line moving forward is an easy task.

Multiple sources have said both the team and player would like to stick together. Fairley likes playing in New Orleans, which is close to his hometown of Mobile, Alabama, and grew fond of coach Sean Payton. The organization had no issues with Fairley last season and realizes he was a key component of the defense.

The big issue will be figuring out what Fairley is worth and coming to an agreement that makes sense for all parties involved when his contract voids at the end of the month.

He could be seeking something in the range of $9.5 million. That would put him above Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford, who has an average annual value of $9 million and had 4½ sacks and eight quarterback hits (Fairley had 22), but below San Diego’s Corey Liuget, who has an average annual value of $10.25 million and has recorded three sacks over the past two seasons.

Fairley recorded 6½ sacks last season, during a year in which he spent some time playing on the nose in three-man fronts, and had nearly 50 other pressures. He was, by any account, one of the better defensive tackles in the NFL. What Fairley can be certain of is that the Saints will not likely pay him a contract with an average annual value exceeding the $11 million defensive end Cameron Jordan is currently being paid...

Full Story - The Advocate

Yeah... The DT position is the lone defensive position group that doesn't need some sort of fix outside of signing Fairley. I sure hope that the Saints can reach a reasonable deal with him. Glad he wants to stay, but money talks, and hence I am quite concerned.

One good year( On a terrible defense) and he's looking at being 5th highest player on the team...

I would go along with 7 million per year tops, but 9-11 million per year. Bye Felicia.

Maybe a 7,8,8,9 type 4 year deal with with 20 million guarantee. I already fill like we would be overpaying still, but anymore more than 9 is a bit too much. He has a bad track record till this year.

From what I remember of his deal with the team he ended up clearing around $4.5 mil last year. He earned the incentive bonus's based on play time and sacks). Going by that he is now looking to double his pay. If a team is willing to take that chance good for him. I might try to offer something like $6.5 mil per year with another $2.5 mil in incentives each year.

I don't know I read he is looking for 10 mil a year I'm not sure he is worth that since we got Rankins and we all know he can play

One good year( On a terrible defense) and he's looking at being 5th highest player on the team...

I would go along with 7 million per year tops, but 9-11 million per year. Bye Felicia.

Maybe a 7,8,8,9 type 4 year deal with with 20 million guarantee. I already fill like we would be overpaying still, but anymore more than 9 is a bit too much. He has a bad track record till this year.
Loomis has signed more with less.

I'm pretty confident we'll get this done.

He's had multiple good seasons, playing in two locations that had a "better" player ahead of him at his position. Now, there is an argument that he has that here as well, but let's not tarnish the guy's name because he's trying to get paid. Given his age this is probably his only shot at a big payday.

Thanks for posting, Andrus. :9:

As always, "Great Underhill article"... is redundant.

Deep down, Fairley knows that the Saints are not BULL******** about improving the defense, especially with their cleaning house of the defensive assistants AND S/T coaches (now under O'Dea & Banta). He also knows that Drew Brees & the offense will get it done, as usual.

Of course, he witnessed the meltdown in Atlanta, and is well aware of what happened to Carolina in '15. Fairley is a pro, and I believe in his heart-of-hearts, he (Fairley) feels that the Saints are gearing up for a serious run at a Lombardi.

With all of that, if the Saints give Fairley a hefty increase (that won't break the bank), and weave-in incentives like last season that sweeten the pot, we have a decent shot at re-signing Fairley. And as always, Loomis knows how to get the job done!

Just my :tpenny:

:gosaints:

For reference, so I'm not just talking out my rear, Fairley has had good season before:

His year with STL (playing as a rotational guy) was ranked the 11th best player at his position according to PFF.

3 of the past 5 seasons he's had at least 5.5 sacks.
In those 5 seasons, he's sat behind guys like Suh and Donald, the premier 3 techs in the NFL

The more I think about it, I really really hope we can keep him. I just hope another team doesn't offer him $11+ mil a year. I don't think we'll give him over $10 mil. That's a lot of money though... If he does stay, he better beast.

Seems steep, but average cost is always misleading.

Let's look at Crawford's contract.

Tyrone Crawford Contract Details, Salary Cap Breakdowns, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

5 year $45M and he was 25 years old when he signed it.

10M signing bonus.

675k first year salary, 2.8M cap hit.

restructured for year 2, got 5.5M up front, then a 1.25M salary, cap hit of 4.3M.

2017 is the big one, due to the restructure too.. 7M salary, 10M cap hit. Then it drops a bit after that.

Fairly is currently 29. He already would come with a 1.5M cap hit (from the signing bonus). At that age, I wouldn't expect a 5 year deal, or if so, it's going to be full of a lot of fluff. I also don't expect 24M guaranteed over 3 years.

Haloti Ngata signed a 2 year, $12,000,000 contract and might be a closer fit due to age. I'd say a 2 year 16M contract would be pretty fair.. maybe 3 year 22M with some up front signing bonus to sweaten the deal. I'm not sure people are going to give him a huge pay day.

Tyrone Crawford Contract Details, Salary Cap Breakdowns, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

10M signing bonus.

restructured for year 2, got 5.5M up front, then a 1.25M salary, cap hit of 4.3M.

2017 is the big one, due to the restructure too.. 7M salary, 10M cap hit. Then it drops a bit after that.

Fairly is currently 29. He already would come with a 1.5M cap hit (from the signing bonus). At that age, I wouldn't expect a 5 year deal, or if so, it's going to be full of a lot of fluff. I also don't expect 24M guaranteed over 3 years.

Haloti Ngata signed a 2 year, $12,000,000 contract and might be a closer fit due to age. I'd say a 2 year 16M contract would be pretty fair.. maybe 3 year 22M with some up front signing bonus to sweaten the deal. I'm not sure people are going to give him a huge pay day.

10M signing bonus.

3 year 22M would be ahhhhhmazing. That would be well worth it. Man I hope something like that happens.

First time poster, have been lurking in the background reading threads for years, but felt this was a subject I've been meaning to comment on. I have a little insider info on the Nick Fairley situation so take it for what you want. My brother in law is Nick's uncle. His sister was Nicks mom who we all know passed earlier in the season. He and Nick are VERY close. As is pretty evident throughout their whole family.

I talked to my brother in law about this last week, Nick told him after the Lions game that ultimately he wants to stay in a Saints uniform for as long as he can. He said that if the money is reasonable that he will definitely stay. He did mention the Ravens as a team that pursued him last year and said he expects them to make him a significant offer. He said that if someone blows him away with a contract and the saints baulk, of course he will do what's best for he and his family.

Take it for what it's worth. I know I didn't really give any info that can't be speculated by any one else, but this was the words of the man (well through another man) himself. Hope we will see him on Sunday's next year, cheers fellow Who Dats!

First time poster, have been lurking in the background reading threads for years, but felt this was a subject I've been meaning to comment on. I have a little insider info on the Nick Fairley situation so take it for what you want. My brother in law is Nick's uncle. His sister was Nicks mom who we all know passed earlier in the season. He and Nick are VERY close. As is pretty evident throughout their whole family.

I talked to my brother in law about this last week, Nick told him after the Lions game that ultimately he wants to stay in a Saints uniform for as long as he can. He said that if the money is reasonable that he will definitely stay. He did mention the Ravens as a team that pursued him last year and said he expects them to make him a significant offer. He said that if someone blows him away with a contract and the saints baulk, of course he will do what's best for he and his family.

Take it for what it's worth. I know I didn't really give any info that can't be speculated by any one else, but this was the words of the man (well through another man) himself. Hope we will see him on Sunday's next year, cheers fellow Who Dats!

Thanks for the post. Pretty much what you would expect from any normal person, and you cannot blame Fairley for wanting to get a decent deal.

Now that you have broken the ice hopefully you won't be shy about participating. :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom