Underhill on Payton (1 Viewer)

Randy Jones

Hall-of-Famer
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Underhill mildly suggested that Payton may just be burned out from the season and has gone away some place to chill away from public eye. He thinks this last season was extraordinarily stressful. Things wil become clearer during Senior Bowl week. This is all from a Podcast on the subscriber account. I get real good insights from it.

His insight is this: He will be around 60 when his contract is up. He may go the Brees route into broadcasting. He also suggest that Payton and Loomis who is older may go out together. Jeff Ireland and Dennis Allen could be waiting in the wings to fill their jobs and provide continuity.

This was a hellish season on everyone, including the fans. You can't help but think there is also aggravation from how his team is treated by the league office. That would wear down anyone, it is constantly double standards when it comes to the Saints. Covid ruined a game and now the NFL seems to not care about covid come playoff time. That is incredibly upsetting IMO.

Good for Underhill for putting out what is most likely the truth. No wild hyperbole or speculation. It’s boring and will likely be completely ignored by the rest of the sports media. Payton wants some downtime after a season where he was required to play 57 different starters (and yet still finished with a winning record). Shocking. The man deserves a vacation…..

Listening now, thanks for the heads up.

This was a hellish season on everyone, including the fans. You can't help but think there is also aggravation from how his team is treated by the league office. That would wear down anyone, it is constantly double standards when it comes to the Saints. Covid ruined a game and now the NFL seems to not care about covid come playoff time. That is incredibly upsetting IMO.
I just hope everyone that matters( family, friends, coaching peers) let him know he did a heck of a job finishing with a winning record with all the turmoil this season.

Now if it's nick underhill i'll listen and all of that seems reasonable to me. I believe we have a strong foundation for continued success.
The ironic thing, and I’m not singling you out, is Nick is not offering insight different from Ian. There are reasons for this—Nick has built up equity and shown himself to be very credible without the sensationalism. But I want to point out that Ian’s reporting, at least in this case, was not wrong. Nick would be the first to say that Ian is not a bad guy or reporter—just someone who maybe jumps the gun and like a lot of the national media, does everything with a tad more sensationalism.

I can understand Paytons feelings.

He always got the entire hate from Goodell and the refs.

What Payton had to go through year after year, getting hosed again and again. (Penalty difference, bounty gate, no call, exiting the committee…)

It’s enough! Ill respect his decision once it’s announced

Payton probably has more days behind him than in front when it comes to coaching. I believe he does see the light at the end of the tunnel coming soon, but "right now" soon? I don't know. My GUESS is him and Loomis will go for one last big run and then Payton will bow out and do the TV thing.

Good for Underhill for putting out what is most likely the truth. No wild hyperbole or speculation. It’s boring and will likely be completely ignored by the rest of the sports media. Payton wants some downtime after a season where he was required to play 57 different starters (and yet still finished with a winning record). Shocking. The man deserves a vacation…..
Yes, it is every bit this. Payton has just been silent. I think it does matter to people on Airline because silence can be deafening. I actually think Sean is getting his mojo back because he is saying and doing things that show peak-pettiness. But last season took a toll and things have been quieter and moving a bit more slowly than usual. Just a bit. That uncertainty has people wondering even as the general belief is that he’ll be back.

Of course, it doesn’t help that the media loves to speculate about everything so that it becomes a storyline before it is even a story.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom