Underhill -- Saints offense should open up, have more formational flexibility once Josh Hill is available (1 Viewer)

I like Hill but like someone said I doubt he's that difference maker who will all the sudden change things. Having him back definitely won't hurt though and his speed can make a difference stretching the field as an upgrade over Manhertz. Outside of OG and a satellite RB I think TE is next on our list to upgrade and provide some depth behind Fleener. Would love to get OJ Howard from Bama who IMO would be an absolute stud in our offense. Evan Ingram from Ole Miss is another TE who can be a game changer for us but is more of a TE/WR. Those 2 guys are on my wish list but with other pressing needs they likely will go to high in the draft for me.

What I think this offense is missing most is a satellite back. This year and last year are really the first years we have been without a stud satellite back and you can see how it somewhat hurts us. Yes we have still been a top offense but in a different way then we were before not being as efficient or having things come easier for us. If we actually had a threat in this area we would really be a nightmare for defenses to stop. I think until we address this position our offense won't be able to do what it's fully capable of. IMO this is just as big of a need as OG going into next season. I would like to see OG addressed in FA while we grab a satellite back in the 2nd-4th round along with a young OG somewhere in the early to mid rounds as well. Of course Fournette is my dream RB but I would absolutely love to come away with either Cook or McCaffrey. IMO Cook is going to go in the mid 1st round with McCaffrey in the late 1st to early 2nd range allowing us to snag a stud defensive player while possibly grabbing McCaffrey in the early 2nd. If I had to trade up into the late 1st to get him I do it. Kid is a Reggie Bush clone who IMO is better suited for the NFL because of his ability to handle more touches and being a more north/south runner.

Pretty sure I can speak for Nick on this one. Take this quote by Bill Belicheck:

Rob Gronkowski, Football's Brainiest Tight End | The MMQB with Peter King

His point is... it isn't necessarily the "player" Josh Hill, that will diversify the offense, it's what he (and Hooman also) brings to the table as a TE. They both present run/pass threats. 12 personnel (one back, two TEs) forces the defense to make a decision: Do you respond with base (and risk the pass) or respond with nickel (and risk the run).

Currently with Manhertz, has absolutely no threat as a pass catcher (Nick mentioned this). Fleener poses no threat as a blocker. Hill's injury is why you've seen us use another offensive lineman as the TE more recently because having that extra OL in there is the same "philosophically and formationally" as Manhertz.

TEs dictate defensive formations and diversify offensive concepts. With two one-dimensional TE's, we're basically tipping our hand to the defense (which is half the battle).

Hope this helps.
"Formationing" lol.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Josh Hill is the cog that holds everything together. Wake up people!

Here - just change the lyrics from "Flash! A-ha!" to "Josh! Hi-ll!"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LfmrHTdXgK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He's for everyone of us
Stand for everyone of us
He'll save with a mighty hand
Every man, every woman
Every child, with a mighty Josh

I didn't even know he was injured and I rarely notice when he plays.

Pretty sure I can speak for Nick on this one. Take this quote by Bill Belicheck:

Rob Gronkowski, Football's Brainiest Tight End | The MMQB with Peter King

His point is... it isn't necessarily the "player" Josh Hill, that will diversify the offense, it's what he (and Hooman also) brings to the table as a TE. They both present run/pass threats. 12 personnel (one back, two TEs) forces the defense to make a decision: Do you respond with base (and risk the pass) or respond with nickel (and risk the run).

Currently with Manhertz, has absolutely no threat as a pass catcher (Nick mentioned this). Fleener poses no threat as a blocker. Hill's injury is why you've seen us use another offensive lineman as the TE more recently because having that extra OL in there is the same "philosophically and formationally" as Manhertz.

TEs dictate defensive formations and diversify offensive concepts. With two one-dimensional TE's, we're basically tipping our hand to the defense (which is half the battle).

Hope this helps.

Good summary, Cali.

Yes. The article isn't about the player at all. It's about the limitations the team has faced formationally and how getting another tight end will open up the playbook.

Thanks for the feedback, Nick. Hopefully some of the DNP's can get on the practice field some time this week. Fingers crossed.

It's definitely curious. Snead/Thomas as WR #3 are without question superior players to Hooman/Hill. You could make the case that Kuhn is as well.

But, for the offense to run at peak efficiency, it appears that the position of TE #2 is as important as WR #3 and more important than FB #1.

I might never have made that connection. Nice analysis Mr. Underhill.

Yeah. I mean look how bad the Pats did without Gronk. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Not sure Hill is that much of a difference maker.

He makes a great deal of difference in the scheme. He can block, runs well, can catch, and knows what the defense is giving us. Believe me, knowing when to stay in and block or run free is a big asset.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom