Underhill shared how Winston can meet all his incentives (1 Viewer)

I don't like that there isn't a penalty involved with throwing interceptions or at least make the TD to int ratio the basis of getting money. I would've made the TD bonuses subject to the TD to int ratio, such that he only gets it if he is at 2 to 1 TD to int and then double the incentive if he reaches those with a 3 to 1 ratio, or make it for the ratio of turnovers to include fumbles.

I don't like that there isn't a penalty involved with throwing interceptions or at least make the TD to int ratio the basis of getting money. I would've made the TD bonuses subject to the TD to int ratio, such that he only gets it if he is at 2 to 1 TD to int and then double the incentive if he reaches those with a 3 to 1 ratio, or make it for the ratio of turnovers to include fumbles.

I don't think there is any QB in the league that takes a penalty in a contract for throwing interceptions.

It's like me asking an employee to dock their pay for every grammatical mistake they have in their performance evaluation.

No one in their right mind would be stupid enough to sign a contract penalizing something that could be out of their control. Look how many tipped balls went for interceptions for Drew Brees.

I don't think there is any QB in the league that takes a penalty in a contract for throwing interceptions.

It's like me asking an employee to dock their pay for every grammatical mistake they have in their performance evaluation.

No one in their right mind would be stupid enough to sign a contract penalizing something that could be out of their control. Look how many tipped balls went for interceptions for Drew Brees.
Some years half of his interceptions were tipped balls.

Every interception is not entirely QB’s fault. If the QB’s incentives was penalized for ints, WRs would have to be penalized out of their paycheck for running wrong route or stopping in their route, and coaches penalized for calling a bad play, when there’s an int. If the incentives were affected by ints, the WRs or coach at fault for the int has to compensate the QB for losing money from the incentive affected by it. That would never happen by a GM to outright put int’s in contract incentives.

Last edited:
Listening to Deuce and Mike D yesterday and they were not sold on Winston starting this year. Deuce said after watching him in camp last year he is going to have to do a lot of work to start for the Saints. They felt we would see a more platoon of QBs more than naming a starter which I guess explains all the 50% bonuses

If he throws interceptions, his qb rating will go down and may cost him bonus money, so there is a small price to pay.
That’s why I think Winston will have a great season since the int’s will significantly affect incentives for both his playing time and QB rating. The less int’s that Winston throws, the more money he earns by staying on the field and the more games the Saints will win

Ummm.. There is... It's called Passer Rating.

Listening to Deuce and Mike D yesterday and they were not sold on Winston starting this year. Deuce said after watching him in camp last year he is going to have to do a lot of work to start for the Saints. They felt we would see a more platoon of QBs more than naming a starter which I guess explains all the 50% bonuses
If that’s the case, they should be getting some sweet draft picks because if you have 2 starting QBs you have 0 effective ones

Haven’t really heard Deuce outside of the game day booth, but just thinking if WWL, they are going to lean HARD into the QB ‘battle’
That will drive listeners/callers and I expect WWL to run that into the ground

I think Taysom is behind Jameis as of last year, just because he could not concentrate full time on being a QB. Both QBs will face the same issue: clearing their mental blocks. Jameis has a potentially gunslinging mentality, while Taysom has a hold it mentality. It would be slightly easier for Jameis to learn to throw it away, rather than for Taysom to throw to a spot in our timing offense. But Jameis has also NOT shown that he could be in a timing offense, he got too confused by a offensive change every year, nobody bothered to ask him what he would like to run, which is commonly done week by week in our offense.

I am thinking Jameis can get it done easier since he has only dealt with QB, but Taysom has also shown improvement. Who can get adjusted faster mentally is our QB. Payton can also give each of them 4-6 regular season games, who knows what happens. Let's hope for the best.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom