Underhill; Source: Saints try out several CFL players, including star wide receiver Derel Walker (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Full Story - The Advocate

The Saints continue to mine Canada for talent.

The team worked out CFL star wide receiver Derel Walker on Tuesday, according to a source, in hopes of getting a look at him before he's eligible to sign with a team on Jan. 4.

The Saints also tried out CFL linebackers Khalil Bass and Adam Bighill, defensive backs Tony Burnett, Otha Foster, Forrest Hightower and Anthony Gaitor, and defensive tackle Drake Nevis, who went to LSU.

Walker, who is listed at 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds, caught 109 passes for 1,589 yards with 10 touchdowns for the Edmonton Eskimos last season.

A product of Texas A&M, he originally hooked on as an undrafted free agent with the Tennessee Titans in 2014 but was released prior to the start of the season.

He won the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie Award in 2015, and was named a CFL All-Star the last two seasons.

Bass (6 feet, 224 pounds) finished with 82 tackles, two interceptions and four sacks for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He went to Portland State.

BY NICK UNDERHILL

Full Story - The Advocate

More from The Advocate:

OP
Andrus

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The above article was interesting. Thought that I would copy it here.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
it's smart to keep looking at the CFL for talent. Everyone knows how hit/miss drafting can be and how players that start off badly progress. Just because they didn't stick to a team in the NFL doesn't mean they're a lost cause. Glad we keep the CFL option open.

AARPSaint

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Might as well check the CFL players. Warren Moon, for example, was pretty good. :hihi:

jarrod74

I may be canadian but my heart is in the Big Easy
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
it's smart to keep looking at the CFL for talent. Everyone knows how hit/miss drafting can be and how players that start off badly progress. Just because they didn't stick to a team in the NFL doesn't mean they're a lost cause. Glad we keep the CFL option open.
I have always said the nfl already has a development league up here

cpg

Very Banned
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dude was an absolute animal at LSU!!!!
I'll disagree, respectfully. He had moments of total bad-***ery, but was another in a long list that were never quite coached to full potential. I'm glad to hear that his career seems to be on an upswing though.

trux

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Not directly related, but saw on NOLA.com that we signed DE Justin Zimmer (Ferris State) to our practice squad. Really strong and quick, but needs refinement for the pro-game which I'm actually encouraged given that Onyemata has developed pretty well this year.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like this Khalil Bass dude. He's posting his own highlights and tryout videos to Youtube. That type of hustle in pursuit of your dream is just phenomenal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lkEuqTQDulM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I like this Khalil Bass dude. He's posting his own highlights and tryout videos to Youtube. That type of hustle in pursuit of your dream is just phenomenal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lkEuqTQDulM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
He sure is a hell of a thumper.

hookedsaint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

Nice looking prospect. Fills his lane very nicely and packs some pop in his tackles. Waiting for Guillermo to give us some insight on these guys lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom