Saints Underhill: The Saints “really like Chase Hansen” (2 Viewers)

I mean, we can say the same for Davenport, Peat, Armstead, etc. Don't have many options to have this mentality with our cap issues, heh.
True but I've at least seen them on the field for at least a third of the season.

Look... I see a bunch of folks dumping on Hansen because of his health and availability issues... and those issues are very real. I was a fan of his coming out of Utah, and I too had all but written him off.

I just thought it was really interesting to hear Underhill talk about him and state that the Saints are high on him still as a prospect at LB.
I’ve established on many occasions that I’m a moron and largely don’t know WTH I’m talking about... but we can all agree that Underhill is both tuned-in and well informed about the goings on with the Saints and the team.
So for Underhill to “talk up” Hansen and state that the Saints like him... I think that carries weight.

The highlight reel from Utah in the OP is impressive... and if that player is healthy and on the field for the Saints... he’s going to help.

Baun was an DE/EDGE guy for Wisconsin and he’s transitioning to off-ball LB with the Saints.
I don’t think the Saints have given up on him by any means, but his rookie year was largely a wash because of COVID and no “real” offseason.
Why can't he be a DE/EDGE guy here? Too small?

Historically under the Payton/Loomis ERA has a linebacker drafted by the Saints ever actually panned out? T Hendrickson was technically a LB but converted to DL. I honestly cannot think of one.

Edit: This is not to say Baun won't pan out either. He has all the potential too.
THIS. There has not been one. I blamed Joe Vitt for the longest but now, hmm.

I can’t help but say this... absolutely nothing has indicated that there is a reason to “like this guy” and while I hope the next undrafted free agent becomes a star the reality of this seems like the past when the team hands a load of BS to a reporter who then sells the fans that we have a solution on the team.

I’m not falling for it until I see some plays made on the field that proves he’s more then a undrafted guy that has a couple tools.

This. Exactly this. I've heard this exact same thing about so many guys over the years. And not just with undrafted free agents. I listened to them talk about how much they loved Nick Toon and Brandon Coleman right up until they released them. Been hearing SP talk about Drew's replacement was already on the roster. And then we saw Taysom play and it's like yep, they fooled me again.

Well this time I'm not buying in. I don't care if they really like Chase Hansen. I didn't even know he was still on the roster until I read this. If they think Chase Hansen is the answer to any question then we're in trouble. If they like Hansen then we probably need to draft two LBs.

And I know, I know. They know more than the fans but not at LBer they don't. Had they listened to us all these years we'd have the damn Dome Patrol part 2. Instead the team really likes Chase Hansen. Lol give me a break.

Why not draft LB's that already fit what we are in need of?

Baun reminds me of Hassan Reddick... when Arizona drafted him out of Temple.

The Cards tried to transition Reddick to an off-ball LB, and he was widely considered a bust... until they finally started using him as an EDGE and he started producing as a pass rusher... but now he’s in Carolina.

This. Exactly this. I've heard this exact same thing about so many guys over the years. And not just with undrafted free agents. I listened to them talk about how much they loved Nick Toon and Brandon Coleman right up until they released them. Been hearing SP talk about Drew's replacement was already on the roster. And then we saw Taysom play and it's like yep, they fooled me again.

Well this time I'm not buying in. I don't care if they really like Chase Hansen. I didn't even know he was still on the roster until I read this. If they think Chase Hansen is the answer to any question then we're in trouble. If they like Hansen then we probably need to draft two LBs.

And I know, I know. They know more than the fans but not at LBer they don't. Had they listened to us all these years we'd have the damn Dome Patrol part 2. Instead the team really likes Chase Hansen. Lol give me a break.

Agree with you but let me pick a couple nits... I don’t necessarily think they don’t know linebackers but I do think they know how to BS... if Alex Anzalone wasn’t good nuf, I don’t think Hanson is the answer to any positive question and if the OBVIOUS improvement that we saw when Alexander took over told us anything, it’s that there is probably a LIGHT YEAR difference in the gap between Hanson and Alexander.

let’s also keep in mind that there is a difference between liking a guy and thinking they’re good nuf to be a starter. So maybe they “like him” as a back up. I can see that.

I don’t mean to be negative but after seeing the team we put on the field last year, it’s hard to hear “Hanson” and be satisfied.

Last edited:
wth is up with Baun? Why do we continually fail to coach up our Linebackers?

Our LB corps used to straight up suck. We were worst in the league for a while. But Demario Davis really changed things. It doesn't hurt the line has gotten pressure, but I attribute most of the turnaround to Demario.

I don't know about Hansen. Or Baun. What I do know is someone will get hurt, it's inevitable. God forbid it be Demario. We need bodies at LB . Obviously the coaches know that.

We have a lot of picks in day 1 and 2.

Like when we had a shot at Queen ??

IIRC, Queen was the WORST graded LB in the NFL last season according to PFF.

...as for Baun... Maybe Baun and Hansen aren’t vying for the same position?

Maybe the Saints do after 1 season, what it took the Cardinals 3 seasons to do with Hasaan Reddick... play him according to his strengths as a situational pass rusher and EDGE defender.
...not the off-ball LB they initially planned on moving him to.

IIRC, Queen was the WORST graded LB in the NFL last season according to PFF.

...as for Baun... Maybe Baun and Hansen aren’t vying for the same position?

Maybe the Saints do after 1 season, what it took the Cardinals 3 seasons to do with Hasaan Reddick... play him according to his strengths as a situational pass rusher and EDGE defender.
...not the off-ball LB they initially planned on moving him to.
Basically, T-rex's replacement?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom