Saints Underhill: The Saints “really like Chase Hansen” (2 Viewers)

Saint Lattimore

Out on bond... Best Lawyer $$ can buy though..
Reaction score
Sticky Post
On Nick Underhill’s most recent Saints Talk podcast, he and his co-host discussed some of the areas of need that the Saints still need to address before next season... among those were CB, pass rusher, and LB.
While discussing LB, Underhill made a point to mention Chase Hansen... and how much the Saints like him. He had an outstanding camp, but unfortunately injuries have held him back at the NFL level thus far. Nick mentioned how Hansen has the athleticism and speed to play that Kwon Alexander role, and also mentioned how Hansen is a former SS during his time at Utah. He also stated that Hansen may well be ahead of Zack Baun in terms of winning the job and contributing in the near future.
I think a bunch of folks might have written-off Hansen after his first 2 seasons were grounded before they ever left the ground because of injuries, but if he gets healthy and stays healthy, he could be a huge surprise.

01249A91-4E30-4AD4-AACD-DED83AC6022B.jpeg

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
I feel like I’m repeating myself, but I hope that the Saints have pivoted on their plan for Baun, and are now seeing his path as the same as Hasaan Reddick’s with Arizona (only w/out wasting years of his rookie deal using him incorrectly).

Take a look at Reddick’s pre-draft scouting report... then look at Baun’s...

Then... look at how Reddick started performing when the Cards let him do what he does best, rather than trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

Baun is not an off-ball LB.

Reddick

Baun
Yes maybe Baun could actually be more of a TRex replacement than a Kwon or Anzalone replacement since his best attribute is rushing the passer.

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sean Payton has been quoted time and time again stating that he and the Saints coaches have a specific “vision” for players and how they see them helping/fitting the team.
The idea of transitioning Baun to off-ball LB vs undersized EDGE is one of those cases, and it is based on Baun’s physical traits and skill set.
That's just it. Why not draft an off-ball LB. Baun is not an off-ball LB. I just hope this is not another failed experiment and a lost draft pick. I think Baun would fit a 3-4 scheme better than our 4-3. Unless DA starts running more multiple fronts, which is what he said he'd like to do a few years ago. But we haven't seen very much of that.

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I never like it when we're relying on a player who can't seem to stay healthy.

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Or ever seen the field. The targer spots in the draft remain the same, LB, DT, CB, QB and OL.
I totally agree. We've never seen him play any meaningful downs in a game. All we have to go on is the Saints really like Hansen. We need to sign a FA LB and draft one. He's been with the team for 2 seasons and has been injured and hasn't seen the field.

Reaction score
Or ever seen the field. The targer spots in the draft remain the same, LB, DT, CB, QB and OL.
I agree and I like this order. We should draft like this. Maybe CB before DT. Maybe a WR too but this is good.

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I agree and I like this order. We should draft like this. Maybe CB before DT. Maybe a WR too but this is good.
Yes we definitely need a play making LB in first round, I believe there will still be some top LB's on the board when we pick. Before we pick at 28 all the top CB's will be gone. We can still get a high quality CB in second round. Then we can get a DT.

Reaction score
Yes we definitely need a play making LB in first round, I believe there will still be some top LB's on the board when we pick. Before we pick at 28 all the top CB's will be gone. We can still get a high quality CB in second round. Then we can get a DT.
Yeah, I think our first pick should be a LB. Then a CB.

We need a DT too but more so a NT b/c I'm a bit concerned about the loss of Malcom Brown on the team. He was really good for us. My only issue is we do need some help on offense this year too that they may neglect this position thinking they're set when I don't think we are.

I do think w/ the offense they may want to get a QB (just to have that third in case), don't know if that will be Trask or not but I can see them getting one maybe in the third or fourth round. I also feel we need another great WR too. I would be fine w/ our WR corp but Tre'Quan who has the skills (esp blocking) hasn't really stepped up into that #2 spot yet, Donte' has injury issues b/c of his size (something he has to work on) and Marquez (who I love) will be in his 2nd year so we don't really know just yet how he'll do so we do need another one to go along w/ Mike Thomas. We also either need to bring Easton back or get an OL in the draft b/c we all know Peat goes down every year for a # of games.

So yeah, I would do it something like this, LB CB NT QB WR OL. If we can walk out of there w/ these six positions, I think we'll be set.

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

We need a DT too but more so a NT b/c I'm a bit concerned about the loss of Malcom Brown on the team. He was really good for us. My only issue is we do need some help on offense this year too that they may neglect this position thinking they're set when I don't think we are.

I do think w/ the offense they may want to get a QB (just to have that third in case), don't know if that will be Trask or not but I can see them getting one maybe in the third or fourth round. I also feel we need another great WR too. I would be fine w/ our WR corp but Tre'Quan who has the skills (esp blocking) hasn't really stepped up into that #2 spot yet, Donte' has injury issues b/c of his size (something he has to work on) and Marquez (who I love) will be in his 2nd year so we don't really know just yet how he'll do so we do need another one to go along w/ Mike Thomas. We also either need to bring Easton back or get an OL in the draft b/c we all know Peat goes down every year for a # of games.

So yeah, I would do it something like this, LB CB NT QB WR OL. If we can walk out of there w/ these six positions, I think we'll be set.
I agree with your draft order until WR. I believe we'll take a TE before we take a WR. We have some good WR's already on the roster. Looks like Tre'Quan got a lot better last season and Calloway will be a lot better after an offseason of OTA's, mini-camps, training camp and preseason. We can also bring back Bennie Fowler, he looked pretty good before he got hurt last season. We also have Devonte Harris, now there's a guy if we incorporate into the system the right way, he can really take the top off defenses, and don't forget about Lil'Jordan Humphrey. But if we do take a WR, I hope it's Tracy McMath. We could pick him up in the 4th or 5th round. He would be a good speed WR or use him in the slot. You know we're going to get some surprise WR in the undrafted free agents. We always find a diamond in the rough.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

We need a lot of help, from the 1st round pick. They will probably pick a TE though. 😂

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
These are the guys we have on the roster at LB at the moment:
1- Demario Davis
2-Zack Baun
3- Kaden Ellis
4- Chase Hansen
5- Wynton McManis
6- Marcus Willoughby
7- Andrew Dowell
Which of these LB not named Demario Davis could come in and make an impact. Maybe Baun, He looked lost most of the time when he was on the field. Ellis was mostly a special teams player. Hansen was called up from the PS a couple time and played special teams, I don't remember seeing him play any regular downs during a game. And the rest have never played a down yet.
We are in bad need of a play making LB in FA and the Draft. What are your thoughts? Who in FA can we look at to come in and help? Maybe we could look at brining back Craig Robertson or maybe look at brining in KJ Wright. There's not much left in the market right now. Maybe the Saints wait until the second wave of FA's come out after the draft, IDK. But something needs to be done.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

It was not in any particular order, but these are the spots left open after the roster realignment and LB is the thinnest position on the roster followed by CB. DT needs another body and we always bring in OL every year whether drafted or UDFA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)