Saints Underhill: The Saints “really like Chase Hansen” (2 Viewers)

..as for Baun... Maybe Baun and Hansen aren’t vying for the same position?

I agree with that. I see Baun on special teams until he's good enough to pass rush at the pro level. They're building him for it. He's being tailored for that role.

What do I know? Not much. But I think we need more coverage and run stopping LB's. It can't be all Demario.

Look... I see a bunch of folks dumping on Hansen because of his health and availability issues... and those issues are very real. I was a fan of his coming out of Utah, and I too had all but written him off.

I just thought it was really interesting to hear Underhill talk about him and state that the Saints are high on him still as a prospect at LB.
I’ve established on many occasions that I’m a moron and largely don’t know WTH I’m talking about... but we can all agree that Underhill is both tuned-in and well informed about the goings on with the Saints and the team.
So for Underhill to “talk up” Hansen and state that the Saints like him... I think that carries weight.

The highlight reel from Utah in the OP is impressive... and if that player is healthy and on the field for the Saints... he’s going to help.
Look... I see a bunch of folks dumping on Hansen because of his health and availability issues... and those issues are very real. I was a fan of his coming out of Utah, and I too had all but written him off.

I just thought it was really interesting to hear Underhill talk about him and state that the Saints are high on him still as a prospect at LB.
I’ve established on many occasions that I’m a moron and largely don’t know WTH I’m talking about... but we can all agree that Underhill is both tuned-in and well informed about the goings on with the Saints and the team.
So for Underhill to “talk up” Hansen and state that the Saints like him... I think that carries weight.

The highlight reel from Utah in the OP is impressive... and if that player is healthy and on the field for the Saints... he’s going to help.
I think many like Hansen as well as I. People are just curious about Baun. I think though with a full camp both will play important roles next year. The couple times i noticed Baun on special teams he put on some hard crisp hits

Just going by last year, Baun was going to be the pick if Ruiz wasn't there. Does that mean we may be looking at Cox and Collins in the 1st?

Maybe we should trade for one instead of drafting one. When we trade, we always get great ones.

We might do that. We have a full slate of picks on days 1 & 2. Plus a extra 3rd (comp). Rare for us.

I'm excited to see what happens.

I was like, Chase who? I don’t even remember this guy. Glad the Saints are high on him, and I hope he stays healthy. If not starting, we definitely need depth at LB. A presence like Alexander’s will be hard to replace, but I sure hope we can.

I don't think that makes him the starter opposite Davis, just a guy they liked in camp they brought back but got injured, no real on field time not even in the preseason to show he is a capable contributor.

Not saying he wont be a player, just saying....

It is encouraging to hear this about Hansen, but disappointing to read that Baun may not yet be ready to step up and contribute. He was a high draft choice and I hope it has not been wasted!

Baun was a hand in the dirt DE/LB at Wisconsin and had a covid related training camp where his development was stalled, so we may see a more confident player in year 2 as he's had a full season of NFL action and now an offseason to continue that transition.

Again, the issue for me is why aren't the Saints good at drafting LBs. Maybe we should trade for one instead of drafting one. When we trade, we always get great ones.

I agree.

TRADE. It’s worked before. We have more picks than usual.

What LB might be available for trade?

PS- or we could sign LB Eric Wilson

Not expecting much from him so anything will be a bonus for me. Sadly I’m not high on Baun either, or Davenport. Hoping at least one of Baun/Dav pans out.

I listened to them talk about how much they loved Nick Toon and Brandon Coleman right up until they released them.

Brandon Coleman is the all-time 51st receiver in Saints' history (by yardage). That puts him 2 places behind Trequan Smith with 1 fewer reception and 100 yards. Coleman wasn't released because of any failure to develop, rather a significant neck injury that precipitated his release. Significant Saints (and Aints) he is ahead of? Taysom Hill, Az-Zahir Hakim, Ernie Conwell, Emmanuel Sanders, Eddie Kennison, Brett Perriman, Josh Hill, Chuck Muncie ... and Ricky Williams*.

Nick Toon is 126th, so yeah, he was a disappointment. He does beat Keith Kirkwood AND Austin Carr, though.

* All numbers provided by the Brandon Coleman Stans Association, Membership of 1.

I hope he stays healthy. If not starting, we definitely need depth at LB.
My point is even if Hansen pans out, even if he does stay healthy, even if he does become a starter, we need more depth. Injuries are coming.

The only one I truly trust is Demario Davis. Even Demario could be hit by a bus, or suffer an ACL, or be killed in a drive by shooting in the French Quarter. Which would be a disaster I think we couldn't recover from. So let's pray that doesn't happen.

So barring that, accepting that others will get hurt, we have to fix LB. LB corps is thin with Kwon Alexander's loss, Analone's move, and Baun's uncertainty. Coach knows this.

Which excites me to see which LB's Coach will target.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom