Saints Underhill: The Saints “really like Chase Hansen” (2 Viewers)

On Nick Underhill’s most recent Saints Talk podcast, he and his co-host discussed some of the areas of need that the Saints still need to address before next season... among those were CB, pass rusher, and LB.
While discussing LB, Underhill made a point to mention Chase Hansen... and how much the Saints like him. He had an outstanding camp, but unfortunately injuries have held him back at the NFL level thus far. Nick mentioned how Hansen has the athleticism and speed to play that Kwon Alexander role, and also mentioned how Hansen is a former SS during his time at Utah. He also stated that Hansen may well be ahead of Zack Baun in terms of winning the job and contributing in the near future.
I think a bunch of folks might have written-off Hansen after his first 2 seasons were grounded before they ever left the ground because of injuries, but if he gets healthy and stays healthy, he could be a huge surprise.

01249A91-4E30-4AD4-AACD-DED83AC6022B.jpeg

Good Post OP

I have mentioned on this platform my support for Hansen.

I may have even called him a leashed beast. Our fans just haven't gotten to watch him yet due to injuries. I love his makeup and intangibles. He's got that chip on his shoulder and has very underrated athleticism.

If Chase can stay healthy he is 100 percent a starting caliber LB. I love his film, dude is a worker.

We know so little about Hansen, being injured for the past 2 seasons and with no OTA's, Minicamp and an abbreviated training camp and no pre-season last season. I'm anxious to see what he can do after a full offseason of OTA's, Minicamps and training camp. Hopefully a pre-season this year. We'll be able to tell by then if he is starter material or solid back-up.

Again, the issue for me is why aren't the Saints good at drafting LBs. Maybe we should trade for one instead of drafting one. When we trade, we always get great ones.

For the life of me I can't figure it out. And I'm usually able to figure things out. I'm no dullard. But the Saints LBer situation is a puzzle wrapped in a mystery inside of a half forgotten dream. It just doesn't make one damn bit of sense.

I grew up watching the Dome Patrol and my heroes were LBers. That was the position on defense. It's still my favorite position. Every year I study up on the next crop of LBs with fading hope that the Saints will draft one of the good ones. It never happens. Even when they try to draft a LBer early they do it all wrong.

In 2015 they took Stephone Anthony at #31 and Kikaha at #44. I'll never forget that draft because they passed on so many good LB prospects. They got a little cute instead of just drafting the best ball players. Look at where these guys went...

Benardrick McKinney #43 (Pro Bowler, still active)
Eric Kendricks #45 (Pro Bowl, All Pro, still active)
Denzel Perryman #48 (Still active)

I love my team and I love this front office. They are awesome at drafting other positions. But when it comes to drafting LBs I can't even with them anymore. I'm one of the most optimistic posters around here but on this particular issue I have abandoned all hope.

wth is up with Baun? He has athleticism, size, was a Butkus award finalist and first team All-American in college. Why do we continually fail to coach up our Linebackers?
To be fair, Baun was more of an edge guy in college. Saints are trying to turn him into an off-ball LB. That's going to take a little time. Combine that with there being no OTAS's, mini-camp, or much actual training camp, and it's easy to see why he wasn't ready year one week one. I'll wait to draw any conclusions on him. Same with Ruiz.

For the life of me I can't figure it out. And I'm usually able to figure things out. I'm no dullard. But the Saints LBer situation is a puzzle wrapped in a mystery inside of a half forgotten dream. It just doesn't make one damn bit of sense.

I grew up watching the Dome Patrol and my heroes were LBers. That was the position on defense. It's still my favorite position. Every year I study up on the next crop of LBs with fading hope that the Saints will draft one of the good ones. It never happens. Even when they try to draft a LBer early they do it all wrong.

In 2015 they took Stephone Anthony at #31 and Kikaha at #44. I'll never forget that draft because they passed on so many good LB prospects. They got a little cute instead of just drafting the best ball players. Look at where these guys went...

Benardrick McKinney #43 (Pro Bowler, still active)
Eric Kendricks #45 (Pro Bowl, All Pro, still active)
Denzel Perryman #48 (Still active)

I love my team and I love this front office. They are awesome at drafting other positions. But when it comes to drafting LBs I can't even with them anymore. I'm one of the most optimistic posters around here but on this particular issue I have abandoned all hope.
Same here. My favorite positions to watch are LB and Safety. For the life of me, I can’t understand why they choose to not put more emphasis in the LB spot?!?! The LB should be the QB of your defense, so why neglect it so much? Sure we got DD, but over the course of SP’s tenure, Vilma amd DD are the only LBs that has really impressed me. Those kinds of players should have good compliments running next to them.

Regarding Kaden Ellis, here's a quote from me on this board from April 2019. Thread was "who was your favorite pick".

Kaden Ellis

I'm going to go with OLB - Kaden Ellis.

Why? Because all the other picks were somewhat surmisable. This one was not.

Here comes a kid I'd never heard of . An OLB/TE/QB that ran a sub-6.5 three cone at 240 lbs. (Not even Von Miller did that). A coaches son. The son of an NFL defensive lineman. A kid that flips blocking sleds. A kid that jumps 35 inches. A kid that runs sub 4.6 40's. A kid who's 60-yard shuttle was faster than anyone at the entire Combine. A kid that plays wherever he's put on the field and just wins.

Can't wait to see if this guy makes the team. I'm rooting for him.

Same here. My favorite positions to watch are LB and Safety. For the life of me, I can’t understand why they choose to not put more emphasis in the LB spot?!?! The LB should be the QB of your defense, so why neglect it so much? Sure we got DD, but over the course of SP’s tenure, Vilma amd DD are the only LBs that has really impressed me. Those kinds of players should have good compliments running next to them.

Think about this, during SP's time with the Saints who is the best LB they have drafted? Vilma was a trade. Davis was a free agent. Fuji was a free agent. Lol who have the drafted? Dunbar? Casillas? Nope. Both were undrafted free agents. Unreal.

They really get cute when drafting LBs. They like high upside guys who aren't great at football. Like Martez and Tull and Fortt, etc.

Think about this, during SP's time with the Saints who is the best LB they have drafted? Vilma was a trade. Davis was a free agent. Fuji was a free agent. Lol who have the drafted? Dunbar? Casillas? Nope. Both were undrafted free agents. Unreal.

They really get cute when drafting LBs. They like high upside guys who aren't great at football. Like Martez and Tull and Fortt, etc.
Lol, I know, and that’s the issue

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom