Saints Underhill: The Saints “really like Chase Hansen” (2 Viewers)

Think about this, during SP's time with the Saints who is the best LB they have drafted? Vilma was a trade. Davis was a free agent. Fuji was a free agent. Lol who have the drafted? Dunbar? Casillas? Nope. Both were undrafted free agents. Unreal.

They really get cute when drafting LBs. They like high upside guys who aren't great at football. Like Martez and Tull and Fortt, etc.
I think Martez Wilson should have been left at his original position at MLB that's where he played in college. I really think he would have flourished there. But no they tried him at SLB and then OLB when they briefly switched to a 3-4 under Ryan. They do this all the time they draft a player and switch his position. That's trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

I think Martez Wilson should have been left at his original position at MLB that's where he played in college. I really think he would have flourished there. But no they tried him at SLB and then OLB when they briefly switched to a 3-4 under Ryan. They do this all the time they draft a player and switch his position. That's trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

And then to complicate matters there for a few years we were switching schemes. I remember hearing about them trying Will Smith at OLB in the 3-4 and it was like, wait what? It was just a hodgepodge of different scheme fits. I think we might be headed in the right direction though. They brought in Davis and saw firsthand that having an awesome, fast LBer is beneficial for a defense. Then they traded for Kwon and saw that having two awesome, fast LBers was even more beneficial.

And then to complicate matters there for a few years we were switching schemes. I remember hearing about them trying Will Smith at OLB in the 3-4 and it was like, wait what? It was just a hodgepodge of different scheme fits. I think we might be headed in the right direction though. They brought in Davis and saw firsthand that having an awesome, fast LBer is beneficial for a defense. Then they traded for Kwon and saw that having two awesome, fast LBers was even more beneficial.
You'd think that SP and DA would notice how much better our defense was with 2 excellent LB'ers playing next to each other. You'd think that they would do their dangest best to make sure they would draft a play making LB like Collins, Cox or maybe even Koramora if he even makes it down to our pick. but then if they did, they would probably want them to play CB or WR.

You'd think that SP and DA would notice how much better our defense was with 2 excellent LB'ers playing next to each other. You'd think that they would do their dangest best to make sure they would draft a play making LB like Collins, Cox or maybe even Koramora if he even makes it down to our pick. but then if they did, they would probably want them to play CB or WR.

That would be great. They also need to consider that Davis isn't getting any younger. God forbid but if something happened to that guy, yikes. I literally don't know who our starting LBs would be. Honestly. That's not ideal.

I'd really like to talk to Underhill or someone in the know and ask them what's the deal at backer.

Last edited:
That would be great. They also need to consider that Davis isn't getting any younger. God forbid but if something happened to that guy, yikes. I literally don't know who are starting LBs would be. Honestly. That's not ideal.

I'd really like to talk to Underhill or someone in the know and ask them what's the deal at backer.
You right about that. I think Davis will be 32 or 33 this season. And also God forbid he get injured. All we have is Baun and Ellis with some experience. The rest are all undrafted free agents. They've got to realize that this position is just as important as CB in this draft. I thought they would have signed someone in FA by now. I been watching for Eric Wilson, he would be a good compliment to Davis. He's no Alexander, but he's better than the rest of the LB'ers not named Demario Davis.

You right about that. I think Davis will be 32 or 33 this season. And also God forbid he get injured. All we have is Baun and Ellis with some experience. The rest are all undrafted free agents. They've got to realize that this position is just as important as CB in this draft. I thought they would have signed someone in FA by now. I been watching for Eric Wilson, he would be a good compliment to Davis. He's no Alexander, but he's better than the rest of the LB'ers not named Demario Davis.
I think Wilson can be even better with DD next to him. Just my $.02

I would draft Zaven Collins and these are the reasons:
He is an explosive, game impacting linebacker. He's instinctive and he can quickly diagnose plays. He has quick change of direction skills and he is also very athletic for a linebacker his size @ 6'4"/260#.
Collins can make plays in space, very quick from sideline to sideline, he's fluid moving laterally and he's got speed in pursuit. But what I really like about him are his coverage skills. He can cover the RB's and TE's.
I believe with him next to Davis would elevate our linebacker play immensely.

On Nick Underhill’s most recent Saints Talk podcast, he and his co-host discussed some of the areas of need that the Saints still need to address before next season... among those were CB, pass rusher, and LB.
While discussing LB, Underhill made a point to mention Chase Hansen... and how much the Saints like him. He had an outstanding camp, but unfortunately injuries have held him back at the NFL level thus far. Nick mentioned how Hansen has the athleticism and speed to play that Kwon Alexander role, and also mentioned how Hansen is a former SS during his time at Utah. He also stated that Hansen may well be ahead of Zack Baun in terms of winning the job and contributing in the near future.
I think a bunch of folks might have written-off Hansen after his first 2 seasons were grounded before they ever left the ground because of injuries, but if he gets healthy and stays healthy, he could be a huge surprise.

01249A91-4E30-4AD4-AACD-DED83AC6022B.jpeg

Don't know about you but this really concerns me regarding the position as it currently stands. So an UDFA who hasn't really played due to injuries is ahead of a player that was selected in the 3rd round, has seen playing time and is supposed to be one of our key players at the position competing for a starting role in the defense? It just seems the Saints have this dark spot when it comes to drafting LBs.

I thought Baun & Hansen played different positions anyway. I thought Baun would be more of a SAM or MIKE LB as Hansen a WILL LB.

I feel like I’m repeating myself, but I hope that the Saints have pivoted on their plan for Baun, and are now seeing his path as the same as Hasaan Reddick’s with Arizona (only w/out wasting years of his rookie deal using him incorrectly).

Take a look at Reddick’s pre-draft scouting report... then look at Baun’s...

Then... look at how Reddick started performing when the Cards let him do what he does best, rather than trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

Baun is not an off-ball LB.

Reddick

Baun

I feel like I’m repeating myself, but I hope that the Saints have pivoted on their plan for Baun, and are now seeing his path as the same as Hasaan Reddick’s with Arizona (only w/out wasting years of his rookie deal using him incorrectly).

Take a look at Reddick’s pre-draft scouting report... then look at Baun’s...

Then... look at how Reddick started performing when the Cards let him do what he does best, rather than trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

Baun is not an off-ball LB.

Reddick

Baun
I hope you're right my friend, I hope they get it but it seems DA and Sean really value their players doing multiple of things that's why PJ has stayed so long. Also, again they don't get the LB position really well but things could change b/c we do have a new LBs Coach so hopefully he'll get it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom