Saints Underhill: The Saints “really like Chase Hansen” (1 Viewer)

I hope you're right my friend, I hope they get it but it seems DA and Sean really value their players doing multiple of things that's why PJ has stayed so long. Also, again they don't get the LB position really well but things could change b/c we do have a new LBs Coach so hopefully he'll get it.
This is ridiculous. Why do we draft a LB and then almost immediately play him at a position that he hasn't played before. Like with Baun. They did it with Martez Wilson. When we drafted Stephone Anthony, he played MLB his rookie season and didn't do too bad. Yeah he still had a lot to learn. But if they would have left him alone and let him finish learning what he had to at his natural position, I think he would have turned into a solid MLB. But no they wanted him to play OLB and his career derailed. But then again you have to look at who was coaching that group at the time (Joe Vitt). By the time Nolan came along Anthony was ruined. It drives me crazy when they draft a player at his natural position and put him at another position.

On Nick Underhill’s most recent Saints Talk podcast, he and his co-host discussed some of the areas of need that the Saints still need to address before next season... among those were CB, pass rusher, and LB.
While discussing LB, Underhill made a point to mention Chase Hansen... and how much the Saints like him. He had an outstanding camp, but unfortunately injuries have held him back at the NFL level thus far. Nick mentioned how Hansen has the athleticism and speed to play that Kwon Alexander role, and also mentioned how Hansen is a former SS during his time at Utah. He also stated that Hansen may well be ahead of Zack Baun in terms of winning the job and contributing in the near future.
I think a bunch of folks might have written-off Hansen after his first 2 seasons were grounded before they ever left the ground because of injuries, but if he gets healthy and stays healthy, he could be a huge surprise.

01249A91-4E30-4AD4-AACD-DED83AC6022B.jpeg

They were also big on Josh Hill and Taysom Hill...

This is ridiculous. Why do we draft a LB and then almost immediately play him at a position that he hasn't played before. Like with Baun. They did it with Martez Wilson. When we drafted Stephone Anthony, he played MLB his rookie season and didn't do too bad. Yeah he still had a lot to learn. But if they would have left him alone and let him finish learning what he had to at his natural position, I think he would have turned into a solid MLB. But no they wanted him to play OLB and his career derailed. But then again you have to look at who was coaching that group at the time (Joe Vitt). By the time Nolan came along Anthony was ruined. It drives me crazy when they draft a player at his natural position and put him at another position.

Sean Payton has been quoted time and time again stating that he and the Saints coaches have a specific “vision” for players and how they see them helping/fitting the team.
The idea of transitioning Baun to off-ball LB vs undersized EDGE is one of those cases, and it is based on Baun’s physical traits and skill set.

I feel like I’m repeating myself, but I hope that the Saints have pivoted on their plan for Baun, and are now seeing his path as the same as Hasaan Reddick’s with Arizona (only w/out wasting years of his rookie deal using him incorrectly).

Take a look at Reddick’s pre-draft scouting report... then look at Baun’s...

Then... look at how Reddick started performing when the Cards let him do what he does best, rather than trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

Baun is not an off-ball LB.

Reddick

Baun

Yes maybe Baun could actually be more of a TRex replacement than a Kwon or Anzalone replacement since his best attribute is rushing the passer.

Sean Payton has been quoted time and time again stating that he and the Saints coaches have a specific “vision” for players and how they see them helping/fitting the team.
The idea of transitioning Baun to off-ball LB vs undersized EDGE is one of those cases, and it is based on Baun’s physical traits and skill set.
That's just it. Why not draft an off-ball LB. Baun is not an off-ball LB. I just hope this is not another failed experiment and a lost draft pick. I think Baun would fit a 3-4 scheme better than our 4-3. Unless DA starts running more multiple fronts, which is what he said he'd like to do a few years ago. But we haven't seen very much of that.

Or ever seen the field. The targer spots in the draft remain the same, LB, DT, CB, QB and OL.
I totally agree. We've never seen him play any meaningful downs in a game. All we have to go on is the Saints really like Hansen. We need to sign a FA LB and draft one. He's been with the team for 2 seasons and has been injured and hasn't seen the field.

Or ever seen the field. The targer spots in the draft remain the same, LB, DT, CB, QB and OL.
I agree and I like this order. We should draft like this. Maybe CB before DT. Maybe a WR too but this is good.

I agree and I like this order. We should draft like this. Maybe CB before DT. Maybe a WR too but this is good.
Yes we definitely need a play making LB in first round, I believe there will still be some top LB's on the board when we pick. Before we pick at 28 all the top CB's will be gone. We can still get a high quality CB in second round. Then we can get a DT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom