Underhill tweet: David Onyemata arrested for possession of marijuana (2/7/2019) (1 Viewer)

I'd like to know more about the situation. Is it that easy to get a search warrant there? Doesn't a judge have to sign off on it based off significant cause or intel?

And, I never got into weed like my friends. The buzz was okay, but not worth the risk and I didn't care to smoke anything. But, if I were an athlete dealing with injuries and pain, I'd opt for something like cannabis before getting hooked on some pharma opiates. That Turley article posted a while back was an eye-opener.
I've never even tried pot in my life, but no one is forced to use it just because it's legal. I would much prefer that the government get a chunk of that money instead of spending a fortune trying to stop something that they can't.
If they could at least get some tax revenue from it, they wouldn't have to keep taxing everything else to death. At least get something for the stuff like they do with alcohol.

Hopefully it was an illegal search.

I don't think that matters for the NFL's purposes. The league's substance policy can be triggered by any reasonably reliable evidence that the player's "behavior" includes a covered substance. An illegal search might get him out of his citation but if he's the only one on the lease and in the apartment where they find a substance covered by the policy, it's a violation of the policy even if the search is ruled improper.

If David has a plausible story (it's someone else's)and can pass a drug test, he's probably fine. Or if he can get through the 'level one' intervention without incident and without any other factors, he might also avoid suspension.

Edit - I don’t think this is right anymore given the facts. I think it’s probably four games.

Last edited:
Hopefully it was an illegal search.

They had a search warrant so that is highly unlikely. Anyway, it's just a misdemeanor citation so from a personal legal perspective it's not a big deal. But, it will probably put him into the NFL drug testing protocols. If he had not prior positive tests or incidents it probably just means he will be tested more often, but if it's a second offense and he was already in the protocol, he could get a suspension.

The article I read in the Advocate, only said he was cited for possession. It was a very small amount. Didn’t say anything about him being arrested.

How dare a grown adult in his own apartment put something in his body to help his pain management! Hasn't he heard of opioids or alchohol!

What a disgusting act!

Doesn't seem like he was actually detained and arrested -- just given a misdemeanor ticket and summons.

He was arrested, may not have been booked in nail. Thats what the purpose is for the summons. Its a promise to appear in court in lieu of bond. Im more concerned about what led LE to dp a search warrant on his home. Clearly there was probable cause to get one. Is he moving large quantities and they just missed it?

This loss is really hitting some of them hard.
I'm still irked about it too, for various reasons.

Seems odd that someone "tipped them off" and they thought it important enough to get a warrant to search a guy's personal apartment. He was not driving under the influence or attempting to sell. I wonder why the police bothered with this unless they were concerned that he could have had large enough quantities to distribute.

I guarantee this was someone who never watched a Saints game or have seen any player before and noticed the guy rolling into the complex in an expensive car that smelled of weed and figured it was their civic duty to call the cops to protect their community. What a crock. :jpshakehead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom