Underhill -- Would the Saints really trade Brandin Cooks? It's beginning to look realistic (1 Viewer)

It was unthinkable that we'd trade Graham, too.

In the time that he's been without Drew, Jimmy has looked remarkably average, IMO.

I think the same may be true of Brandin, despite his speed. And I think that may be what's keeping other teams from giving up the store for him. The fear that he may not be as good without Drew feeding him.

I would welcome a late first round pick for him, especially if it came with a probowl caliber lineman as part of the deal.

Pro Bowl lineman??? Dude, I'd take a Pro Bowl lineman straight damn up for Cooks right now.

I don't think that many of you have actually seen Jimmy play since he left. Go talk with a Seahawks fan, they all think Jimmy is a top TE. Their OC is who is killing Graham's production. Bevell is an idiot. How he is sticking around is much like what everyone was wondering when Venturi stuck around here. Graham will be fine, and he is still plenty young, and plenty dominant to be considered a top 3 tight end.

I don't see any way that Cooks is here next year.

I just hope we can maximize the value considering the water appears very muddy on our end which would appear to diminish our leverage.

I'm afraid we're going to end up with a 2nd round pick and a banged up vet in exchange for a proven playmaker.

One thing I'll note is that almost 10% of Cooks yards came from one completion and that still only gave us 6 points. We need to make stops on third downs, or on Offense convert even more 3rd downs. Winning is paramount this year, a 1st rounder and a starter on defense and the deal is done.

Cooks doesn't add much more in the way of wins then say, Meachem or Henderson. . . plus all the belly aching is the deciding factor, if he was a choir boy then I would be all for keeping him.

I think Cooks numbers will decline if he goes anywhere else, best bet would be NE or GB but even then, there's a lot of mouths to feed on those teams.

It was unthinkable that we'd trade Graham, too.

In the time that he's been without Drew, Jimmy has looked remarkably average, IMO.

I think the same may be true of Brandin, despite his speed. And I think that may be what's keeping other teams from giving up the store for him. The fear that he may not be as good without Drew feeding him.

I would welcome a late first round pick for him, especially if it came with a probowl caliber lineman as part of the deal.

This, times infinity.

Any trade to Tennessee should include the No. 5 pick, unless there's hard enough intel on the players we want still being available at No. 18.

Unless he truly wants to be traded and has basically asked the team to do it, I think we'd be extremely foolish to let him unless it's just an offer we can't refuse. He's a tremendous threat and DC's have to scheme for him. Just thinking that Thomas is the "#1" now and Cooks is expendable is a gross oversimplification. Cooks's skill set are a huge part of our scheme.

The Graham trade came out of no where. It was sudden.

The Cooks situation has had chatter for a while. I guess we'll see.

He's more than a Henderson/Meachem type. For one, he can catch a lot better and seems to be a better route runner. He's a smart guy who works hard and is Fast. Let's not start to compare him to lesser talent. The fact the Patriots are willing to give up their 1st round pick goes to show you that Bill values that talent more than 32 potentially drafted players. Also, they like small fast receivers in that offense. Heck, so do we. You have to remember, Cooks, other than playing WR, was also some of that Reggie/Sproles wild card on offense. And unlike Reggie early in his career.. has been durable.

I'd rather we find a way to keep Cooks, since I think he's a dynamic talent who has proven it for a few years now. He's young too. At the same time, his value won't be higher than now. He's a 3 year 1000+ yard receiver who's only 23 and has had little to no injury issues.

Why are people comparing this to Graham when it's obviously more similar to the Stills trade?

Anyway, yes, it's unfortunate that we might trade Cooks, but with Thomas and Snead is he really a necessity? The Saints won the SB with Meach, Henderson, Colston, and Moore, exactly zero of which is a great WR (I love Colston but let's be real....).

The whole was greater than the sum of its parts, yes. That's what the essence of what a team sport is supposed to be.

I'd keep him another year. Do his option and then trade him. Build up his value up another year.
Sounds good but at this point do you risk keeping a player who isnt happy and was on a trade block for another year? I can see his value decreasing. We are in a tough spot if no one offers us a mid round 1st.

The Graham trade came out of no where. It was sudden.

The Cooks situation has had chatter for a while. I guess we'll see.

He's more than a Henderson/Meachem type. For one, he can catch a lot better and seems to be a better route runner. He's a smart guy who works hard and is Fast. Let's not start to compare him to lesser talent. The fact the Patriots are willing to give up their 1st round pick goes to show you that Bill values that talent more than 32 potentially drafted players. Also, they like small fast receivers in that offense. Heck, so do we. You have to remember, Cooks, other than playing WR, was also some of that Reggie/Sproles wild card on offense. And unlike Reggie early in his career.. has been durable.

I'd rather we find a way to keep Cooks, since I think he's a dynamic talent who has proven it for a few years now. He's young too. At the same time, his value won't be higher than now. He's a 3 year 1000+ yard receiver who's only 23 and has had little to no injury issues.

Agreed on the he has more talent then Meachem and Henderson, but in this offense there are many mouths to feed and MT and Snead seem to be able to do more then him, including Blocking, Slant pass catches ( something that has been a big missing factor ), red zone targets. etc.

I liken it to having a Ferarri and a Rolls Royce and a Mercedes SUV. You love all the rides, but some are just better daily drivers. If letting go of Cooks for the right compensation gets us a couple new parts that add up to wins, ie - guys who can play special teams, make create turnovers etc. . . . then for the sake of the team you have to seriously entertain the idea. I guess I see Cooks as a one trick pony, I really wanted to see mroe in the punt return game and more jet sweeps, but he really isn't that guy, he is a speedy deep threat, that is a small target.

Plus I have MT in my FF keeper league ;)

I just hope he isn't tanking his trade value on purpose.

I don't want to get all conspiracy theorist here but in some ways I think that he probably knows he will be picked up by another team based on raw talent alone... so if he really wanted to spite the Saints for whatever reason he would just need to act up enough for it to damage the pick value but not enough to spook potential suitors (or at least give them leverage).

He's going to get market rate next year anyhow regardless of the trade value to the Saints.

What players in this year's draft would Cooks be an even trade for?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom