Underhill -- Would the Saints really trade Brandin Cooks? It's beginning to look realistic (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
snews.gif

By Nick Underhill -- Advocate

INDIANAPOLIS — It’s starting to feel real more realistic that Brandin Cooks will not be part of the Saints moving forward.

There have been days of trade chatter circulating at the combine, and when given the opportunity to shut down the rumors -- on the team’s official website, no less -- neither Sean Payton nor Mickey Loomis did so. Perhaps it doesn’t mean anything, but it seems notable that both men left the door open for something to happen.

It seemed unfathomable that Cooks could be playing elsewhere a few months ago, even with whispers of his frustration with his role circulating early in the season. And it still felt that way after the Rams game even though Payton and Cooks exchanged words about his role following the contest. And it still felt that way after Cooks went public with his feelings about not being targeted.

Closed mouths don’t get fed. It’s true. But it’s possible it could be time to move on if someone makes an offer the Saints can stomach.

Full Article -- Advocate

It was unthinkable that we'd trade Graham, too.

In the time that he's been without Drew, Jimmy has looked remarkably average, IMO.

I think the same may be true of Brandin, despite his speed. And I think that may be what's keeping other teams from giving up the store for him. The fear that he may not be as good without Drew feeding him.

I would welcome a late first round pick for him, especially if it came with a probowl caliber lineman as part of the deal.

Better to get rid of someone who doesn't want to be a part of what we are building now while he has value as opposed to watching him sulk on the sidelines when he is upset because he can't break off the jam of someone covering him who is 5'6 weighing 140. He is overrating his own skill set and underating how much this offense helps his limited skill set.

Cooks and Graham are very different situations. Graham was a great player...but he was 29 with a significant injury history moving away from his prime. Cooks is a 23 year old without a significant injury history moving toward his prime. The Saints got rid of Graham at the peak of his stock getting a pro bowler center and 1st rounder in return. Getting rid of Cooks will likely be doing so when he stock is at it's lowest. Brees does not have a good history with short receivers...Brees has done almost all of his damage over his career to taller targets. Gates, Colston, Graham, and Thomas...that's Brees prototype. It's not inconceivable that Cooks could leave the Saints "spread it around" offense with a QB with a bigger arm and all of a sudden he realizes that Antonio Brown/Steve Smith potential.

If Graham gets a very good player and 1st rounder in return...I'd demand nothing less for Cooks.

It was unthinkable that we'd trade Graham, too.

In the time that he's been without Drew, Jimmy has looked remarkably average, IMO.

I think the same may be true of Brandin, despite his speed. And I think that may be what's keeping other teams from giving up the store for him. The fear that he may not be as good without Drew feeding him.

The Graham comparison is a good one, looking at it from a long view. The thing is that we have to do better than Stephone Anthony--at least from what we have seen thus far--in the exchange. Unger has been better than expected in terms of health and about what we expected in terms of high quality at his position. The Hawks got Graham and Lockett indirectly, so they have come out better so far.
The price for Cooks needs to be high. We cannot afford to screw this up. Furthermore, we'll need to find another burner. Think about Thomas, Snead, and Coleman as the threesome of receivers. That is not a compelling combination.
Maybe there is a speedster late in the draft who can contribute right away. Maybe there is a free agent like Ginn, for example, who could assume Cooks's role. But all of this speculation needs to direct itself toward improving the defense, whether through the draft or via free agency.

Cooks and Graham are very different situations. Graham was a great player...but he was 29 with a significant injury history moving away from his prime. Cooks is a 23 year old without a significant injury history moving toward his prime. The Saints got rid of Graham at the peak of his stock getting a pro bowler center and 1st rounder in return. Getting rid of Cooks will likely be doing so when he stock is at it's lowest. Brees does not have a good history with short receivers...Brees has done almost all of his damage over his career to taller targets. Gates, Colston, Graham, and Thomas...that's Brees prototype. It's not inconceivable that Cooks could leave the Saints "spread it around" offense with a QB with a bigger arm and all of a sudden he realizes that Antonio Brown/Steve Smith potential.

If Graham gets a very good player and 1st rounder in return...I'd demand nothing less for Cooks.

I think that's a little bit hindsighted. As great as Cooks has been with back to back 1K yard seasons, Jimmy Graham was right there with Gronk being regarded as the most unmatchable offensive weapons in the NFL. It wasn't until after he left Drew that people realized the Saints offense is what made him so special. So even though he was 29 and had an injury history, I'd say he was as valuable a commodity as a 23 year old Cooks.

That said, I think the asking price is equally as high as it was for Graham, evidence being that they declined NE's offer of the 32nd pick.

As for replacing him, I think that while Cooks yard for yard production might not be easily replaced his role and threat in the offense can be. Put a guy like Marquis Goodwin from BUF or KD Cannon in this next draft class in and let them burn vertically and they have to be accounted for. Snead is due more looks and Michael Thomas is in the process of becoming a top 10 NFL WR. Adding one vertical burner will open up the necessary options to make the offense equally as dangerous as this past season, and it could be with an added first round pick.

What I'm more worried about is the Saints use of the extra pick. I'm convinced they want a QB, and as an irrational fan I want to win right now.

I'd keep him another year. Do his option and then trade him. Build up his value up another year.

I'd keep him another year. Do his option and then trade him. Build up his value up another year.

You lose value the shorter time left on his rookie contract is. Half of the appeal is that you get a 1,000 yard receiver for two years for (relative) peanuts. If you cut that available time in half, the only way you get close to the same compensation is if he has a MONSTER year next year, and with the way we spread the ball around, plus his rumored desire to not be here, and that kind of production is far from guaranteed. That doesn't even factor in injury risk. Unless he goes for something like 1,300 and 15 TDs next year, his trade value is as high now as it will be. Especially if Philly finds somebody in the next year that can do what he does and you lose a possible trade partner that's coveted him since he was in the draft.

You lose value the shorter time left on his rookie contract is. Half of the appeal is that you get a 1,000 yard receiver for two years for (relative) peanuts. If you cut that available time in half, the only way you get close to the same compensation is if he has a MONSTER year next year, and with the way we spread the ball around, plus his rumored desire to not be here, and that kind of production is far from guaranteed. That doesn't even factor in injury risk. Unless he goes for something like 1,300 and 15 TDs next year, his trade value is as high now as it will be. Especially if Philly finds somebody in the next year that can do what he does and you lose a possible trade partner that's coveted him since he was in the draft.
No it won't. His value will be high as ever. Talent will always trump. If he post another career year. He'll worth more next year than this year.

You know, sometimes things escalate unintentionally.

Both Cooks and Payton may have wanted Cooks to retire a Saint. But sometimes, things are said in anger that put both parties over a tipping point. If that's the case, I hope they walk it back and Cooks stays.

If the decision was made with cool heads and clear minds, then I'm all for it. Cooks's skill set is not that rare. There are 2-3 with his speed and hands in every draft or even UDFA. Brees can maximize their talent, and give them a great rookie season.

Why are people comparing this to Graham when it's obviously more similar to the Stills trade?

Anyway, yes, it's unfortunate that we might trade Cooks, but with Thomas and Snead is he really a necessity? The Saints won the SB with Meach, Henderson, Colston, and Moore, exactly zero of which is a great WR (I love Colston but let's be real....).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom