Understanding Jarvis Jones' Case of Cervical Spinal Stenosis (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Outstanding read on Jarvis Jones and his spine issue that sheds some light on what risks there would be by taking him. There is risk there, but I dont think the risk is a high as I once thought.

Just as important, however, is Dr. Torg's finding that not a single patient in the study suffered permanent neurological damage. In fact, although it makes anatomical sense that it would be the case, there is no evidence to date suggesting that cervical spinal stenosis increases the risk of catastrophic injury similar to the heartbreaking story of former Rutgers defensive tackle Eric LeGrand.
That said, case reports of players with spinal stenosis becoming permanently paralyzed do exist. However, it is impossible to say whether or not the stenosis played a role—they may have become paralyzed with a normal spine, too.
Unfortunately, the lack of certainty over whether or not it is safe for Jarvis Jones to play football led to his transfer from USC. Conversely, that same grey area led to his medical clearance at the University of Georgia.

Understanding Jarvis Jones' Case of Cervical Spinal Stenosis | Bleacher Report

"Outstanding read" and "Bleacher Report" don't belong in the same sentence. However, in this unusual situation, it was surprisingly a good read.

"Outstanding read" and "Bleacher Report" don't belong in the same sentence. However, in this unusual situation, it was surprisingly a good read.

I know that has been the case for some years, but after being bought out by Turner media and going through a huge reshuffle, there content is light years beyond what they used to be. Their NFL draft coverage has been awesome and content has been very quality over the last year.

Give them a shot bro. I used to feel the same as you but they've won me over. Not sure about their other sports coverage but NFL and CFB has been very good and they have some very good writers on their staff now instead of "fan bloggers".

I know that has been the case for some years, but after being bought out by Turner media and going through a huge reshuffle, there content is light years beyond what they used to be. Their NFL draft coverage has been awesome and content has been very quality over the last year.

Give them a shot bro. I used to feel the same as you but they've won me over. Not sure about their other sports coverage but NFL and CFB has been very good and they have some very good writers on their staff now instead of "fan bloggers".

I agree. Bleacher report has gotten much better, and their info and breakdowns are from much more credible sources now. They're analysis of college basketball prospects for the draft has gotten much better also.

And I agree if Jarvis Jones is there at 15 we should jump all over him, unless someone like Dee Milliner falls which I seriously doubt. Jones and Varraco are my two top choices for our pick at 15. I hope they're both there at 15 and which ever we don't choose, I hope the Steelers pick them at 17.

I there there is a possiblity of him dropping. Reason being, when you pick top 10, you typically want a player with no injury history what so ever. Then you have to consider the needs of those top 10 teams (OT, QB, DT), then consider the strength of this draft (OT, DT). There is a huge possibility that Jones is there at 15, im just curious on what the Docs say.

Good read, thanks.

I don't think there's an issue of him "dropping". He's on your board or he's off. Either you think he has increased risk for paralysis in which case you do not select him, at any level. Or you don't, in which case e occasional stinger is hardly worrisome.

I have a good gut feeling about Jones, I think he'll be ok. I've no medical knowledge whatsoever, just a gut feeling.

Nice post. With the rookie contracts more manageable now, I could live with it. What's his injury history in general?

If we take a chance, it ought to be incentive laden contract. That condition is hard to tell whats going to happen! I had 3 removed 3 years ago, along with a ton of other problems. I had to wear a back brace for 6 months, and it took just over a year to be completely recovered from it!

After reading that article, I'm thinking a plumber, a joint of pvc pipe and a couple of couplings and we could fix him right up.

I think its just something that needs to be watched throughout his career. Its a chronic condition.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom