News United Airlines flight has engine explode into flames shortly after takeoff from Denver. (1 Viewer)

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder of there was a disc failure. Those usually are found in the ground, due to extreme impact energy. The outer debris doesn't quite hit as hard.

In any case, there seems to be an issue with uncontained failures. Looks like the composite isn't up to the task.
This was a flight scheduled for Hawaii. If this happens over the ocean...I wonder how far they could have flown with the engine like that.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
This was a flight scheduled for Hawaii. If this happens over the ocean...I wonder how far they could have flown with the engine like that.
Pretty sure that United B777s have a 330 minute ETOPS rating.

OP

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
They likely could have made to where ever the nearest airport was at the time time engine blew up. Once they get up and to cruising altitude the can easily run without one or 2 engines. They need the thrust on all mainly to get in the air. Safety procedures are to land at the nearest airfield that can support the landing distance incase they lose another. In this case the pilots did exactly the correct procedure in that that had enough altitude to turn around and land. from where they took off from. He deserves every kudos he earned!

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They likely could have made to where ever the nearest airport was at the time time engine blew up. Once they get up and to cruising altitude the can easily run without one or 2 engines. They need the thrust on all mainly to get in the air. Safety procedures are to land at the nearest airfield that can support the landing distance incase they lose another. In this case the pilots did exactly the correct procedure in that that had enough altitude to turn around and land. from where they took off from. He deserves every kudos he earned!
2 would be important to still have, since it only had 2 engines...

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Max stress is on take off. Not sure a disc would blow at cruise.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Max stress is on take off. Not sure a disc would blow at cruise.
Yes, but even though the engine was still powered, I wonder how long it would have lasted being exposed like that. Wouldn't it also increase drag on that side of the plane? If you're a thousand miles from an airport, I gotta wonder if the engine holds up. It seemed to be shaking a good bit in the video.

Louisiana Joseph

Purple Gold!
Reaction score
Yes, but even though the engine was still powered, I wonder how long it would have lasted being exposed like that. Wouldn't it also increase drag on that side of the plane? If you're a thousand miles from an airport, I gotta wonder if the engine holds up. It seemed to be shaking a good bit in the video.
I think it's pretty hard to get that far from an airport. Flight plans loosely follow the path of accommodating airports for this reason.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's pretty hard to get that far from an airport. Flight plans loosely follow the path of accommodating airports for this reason.
Yes, but this plane was headed to Honolulu. Not exactly a lot of options when flying over the Pacific. Just fortunate this happened right after takeoff and not mid-flight.

Louisiana Joseph

Purple Gold!
Reaction score
Yes, but this plane was headed to Honolulu. Not exactly a lot of options when flying over the Pacific. Just fortunate this happened right after takeoff and not mid-flight.
True that. I live here and didn't hear about it til this thread.

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
With two engines gone you're in a pickle. Can glide for a while yes (quick Google shows 100 km ~ 60 miles).

A skilled pilot can however make a water ditch. This happened a few years ago on a flight out of NYC and the pilot ditched on the Hudson with no major injuries. Over the Pacific I would just hope the rescue crew can get their before the sharks do.

OP

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
It wasn't still powered after it caught fire. The first think the pilots do when an engine catches fire is shut off the fuel and hydraulic fluid to it. The reason you see the vanes turning is because of the air passing through causing it to free spin.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It wasn't still powered after it caught fire. The first think the pilots do when an engine catches fire is shut off the fuel and hydraulic fluid to it. The reason you see the vanes turning is because of the air passing through causing it to free spin.
Ah, that makes sense. Didn't think about the wind turning the blades.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom