Uniwatch blog talks about the Saints Uniform (1 Viewer)

Since I am the official SR "UNIFORM GURU"....(a title given to myself by myself)...I say that what is being mentioned is what I have tried to fix through my various uniform concepts that I have placed on this board!

Problems:

1) The gold's don't match which is true to a certain extent. The only combination that the team comes close to matching is when they wear their white jersey/gold pants combo. Reason being the trim around the numerals and letters on the away jersey is the same shade of gold as the pants. It's difficult to tell but it is, reason: because of the lettering and numbers being black, it would be difficult to defer the two colors without it being lightened...this was told to me by a guy working in the HOF in the dome when I was doing my research.
If anyone has an authentic current home jersey or away you might not be able to tell the difference since this treatment is usually saved for players only. The NFL/Reebok normally uses the shade of gold for the home jerseys when selling at retail. The only exception to color is the noticeable darker 'old gold' used on authentic '67 throwbacks.
The team could however follow the process of textile matching between fabrics and plastic (i.e. Seattle) who went through the process thoroughly when updating their uni. It was done to achieve an as close to possible color match from helmet to jersey to pants as they could get to make the uniform blend. It worked!
....The sad thing is that with a team and so much history...can we really not invest in the same process to bring about such a simple touch-up?

2) The pants stripe always did bother me simply because it follows nothing else on the uniform! Had the helmet stripe been reduced to a single wide black stripe in the 90's to accomodate the new pants stripe, it'd be a lot easier to go with. But as time passes and the NFL see's such trash in uniforms (i.e. Buffalo, Cinn, Atl, Minn) you can appreciate the simple clean look of Green Bay which uses one set of pants for both home and away with said pants matching to the helmet in color and stripe. Why this won't be done is a mystery...even if it's to put an FDL at the hip for marketing which most teams do (think recent 49ers) and not cover a 3rd stripe (which I'm glad wasn't done cause' it looks terrible) it's not like the NFL market's the pants like the jerseys! If I see a yellow pair of pants with green/white/green stripes, I know I'm looking at GB! C'mon TB, eliminate the FDL on the hip and give us a consistent look at least with the pants stripe.

3) Gold vs Black: Away Jersey #'s Discussion: Some people would like for the team to go back to gold #'s on the away jersey ('67-'68) but truthfully speaking, the team only wore them for 2 seasons which is not long enough to be considered tradition IMO. Numbers were changed to black on the away and white on home for the start of the '69 season and was that way until 1996 when Mike Ditka, tried to go retro and failed. Well at least on the away jersey part. The gold #'s didn't go over too well with broadcasters and the league pushed the Saints for a switch back to black thus giving us our current look. IMO I wouldn't mind either look if done correctly. When the team did try gold numerals for thos 3 seasons ('96-98) they did try to compensate the TV audience by making the outlines thicker.

Here are some photo examples:

Here is a game against the Rams...notice the thickness of the outlines around the #s
1968_preseason_Saint-Rams.jpg

Another game from the Rams but in daylight and wearing away jerseys. Even then our helmets didn't match the jersey
JimTaylor.jpg

Uniform from the later part of '69 when the team switched back to the '67-'68 look for the final 6 games I believe. They wore them in honor of the NFL's 50th Anniversary. IMO this shade of gold is the best ever worn. Not to much like copper...just right.
1970_Saints_Kilmer.jpg

1994 Throwback season...#'s and pants match perfectly...helmet...well.....
MortenAnderson.jpg

1994Throwback.jpg

During the seasons of '96-98. The Heath Shuler pic under certain light appears to have all the golds matching. In the other pic you can clearly see that they don't (who is that player?)
397913.jpg

heathshuler.jpg

My era...the Dome Patrol. Notice the metallic sheen of the pants to match the helmet. The collar and sock stripe match well to the gold outline around the #'s...Close!
291479.jpg

The RB is wrong...the pants are ALL wrong! Who's idea was it for this to be put out?? I'll take the solid black over anything like this ever!!
rickeywilliamsblkpantsgoldstripe.jpg

Hope the info has been helpful..any questions just ask!

Saints uniform

i dont care if they where pink and purple when they play as long as they win the games!

Uh, NO. Black (and Gold to a lesser extent) commands a certain amount of RESPECT, just by what it is. Remember when the Atlanta Falcons swtiched from the red unis to the black ones? Respect IS earned on the field, but I think the unis help. See Cincinnati Bengals for an example of how not to be respected because of a uniform (of course, they are not pink and lavender either).

The fact that we have three different colors has always bothered me. Why can't we match the helmet with the numbers and pants?
Four:

Helmet - metallic gold
Collar trim - honey mustard
Numbers - old gold
Pants - khaki

Just about every other football team ever to wear gold has gotten it to all match (or come extremely close), why this professional franchise can't do it is embarrassing.

[eta] I believe that the player in question is Andre Hastings. <a href=http://i.a.cnn.net/si/images/football/nfl/players/2367.jpg target=_blank>Here</a> is a profile picture of him.

Last edited:
I like the black pants when we wear white jerseys....I also like the gold pants with black jerseys. We just tend to go with black and black unitard or the white and gold blah. The stripes would help with that.

Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by St. Greatness
Even the 49ers know how to match their golds (and it looks great), so why can't we?:

New+York+Jets+v+San+Francisco+49ers+OS7lRD8rD49l.jpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Well they DO have 4 rings to base their color off of. Not really fair.

Not just that...they don't even wear this shade of gold anymore since they reverted back to the Montanna/Rice era 80's style unis which were more or less sandy khaki. This would be boss for us to match the golds...it just irk's me that we don't....so much potential!!

The black unis are great. The gold pants are terrible. That is all.

Since I am the official SR "UNIFORM GURU"....(a title given to myself by myself)...I say that what is being mentioned is what I have tried to fix through my various uniform concepts that I have placed on this board!

Hope the info has been helpful..any questions just ask!

If only the front office could see this post. I would kill for us to go back to Dome Patrol era uniforms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom