UNO looks to add football, build stadium (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

NEW ORLEANS —
The University of New Orleans is looking into building a new stadium on the lakefront and forming a football program at the school.

The earliest those two things could happen would be 2025.

In the meantime, the school needs to get students to approve a flat fee increase to their costs of $300 for part-time students and $400 for full-time students in a vote on Nov. 9 to fund the new team. University officials say the stadium itself would be privately funded.

“We’re the public university. The name of New Orleans is on our chest. We’re named after the city so we think it’s our responsibility to have the venues that multiple groups from the community can participate in," said UNO athletics director Tim Duncan.

The stadium would go on a 100-acre lot between Lakeshore Drive and Maestri Field. It could host concerts, high school football, USL soccer, and other various events.

bad idea for many many reasons

not that long ago, Tulane was poised to drop their program, they had a big alum revolt and re-energized the program
i'd be curious to see if the financials changed at Tulane and whether they really should have kept the program afloat

I never understood why UNO didnt have a football team - so many 2/3 star players just in GNO area that could get a great education AND stay home AND play ball.
I never knew that they actually did have a football team from 2008-2011(if you believe Wikipedia).

2008–2011
Football was reinstated in 2008 with the university's admissions director, Andy Benoit, as head coach. Operating on a limited budget and with only eight players, the Privateers set out to raise the funds and build a team in order to play. In their first season on the gridiron, the Privateers played two games and drew 3,700 fans to its first game at Tad Gormley Stadium; which was the team's home stadium from 2008–2011. During the 2008 season, UNO club football outdrew NCAA Division I, II and III programs for some of their home games. The 2009 season saw UNO finish with a 5–3 record.

In 2010, the team finished with a record of 7–2 and won the 2010 NCFA National Championship.[22][23]

In 2011, the team played under the direction of Sean Santos and later Austin Thomas.

Edit: Actually this was club football, not a varsity sport. I guess this new venture would have football as a varsity sport this time?

not that long ago, Tulane was poised to drop their program, they had a big alum revolt and re-energized the program
i'd be curious to see if the financials changed at Tulane and whether they really should have kept the program afloat
So it's a bad idea ...because of Tulane's financial situation that you don't seem to have any knowledge of?

I never knew that they actually did have a football team from 2008-2011(if you believe Wikipedia).

2008–2011
Football was reinstated in 2008 with the university's admissions director, Andy Benoit, as head coach. Operating on a limited budget and with only eight players, the Privateers set out to raise the funds and build a team in order to play. In their first season on the gridiron, the Privateers played two games and drew 3,700 fans to its first game at Tad Gormley Stadium; which was the team's home stadium from 2008–2011. During the 2008 season, UNO club football outdrew NCAA Division I, II and III programs for some of their home games. The 2009 season saw UNO finish with a 5–3 record.

In 2010, the team finished with a record of 7–2 and won the 2010 NCFA National Championship.[22][23]

In 2011, the team played under the direction of Sean Santos and later Austin Thomas.

Edit: Actually this was club football, not a varsity sport. I guess this new venture would have football as a varsity sport this time?

well i had no idea. I dont recall that.

They had good turnouts at Gormley

I’d love to see some information about that
$835,000 every year they made playoffs. Probably more now since they article is 8 years old.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom