UNO looks to add football, build stadium (1 Viewer)

Guido was referring (I think) to the Tulane games in the Superdome. 5000 spectators in a 70k seat stadium just ain’t fun.

When last they had a football team, UNO played at Tad Gormley stadium. Tad Gormley is a pretty crappy venue for a team like LSU, Tulane, or even ULL, but for what UNO’s needs it would be fine.

I can’t see student paying more in fees to support a football team. Heck in 09’ the students didn’t want to pay the fees at the time, and that caused UNO’s athletics to get relegated down a division for a few years. I could see students being on board with a football team, but not at the 200x increase in fees. That is the blessing and curse of title 9. Equal amount of sports programs are fine when one sport can financially carry the rest (which is often the case). When the schools “bowl game” is the UNO vs LSU baseball game, the school needs to reevaluate what sports need to stick around.

I meant in the dome
Some of those Tulane games were as bad as the last season the Jazz played in the Dome
Tulane had way more fans in the stands than that the season they went undefeated. Winning can cure all. We Saints fans should know that. Schools like Tulane and UNO will never have crowds the size of LSU but they can support athletics if a winner is put on the field.

The reason UNO couldn't support a football program was because back in the day, as a part of the LSU system, Baton Rouge would never allow that to happen, just as Tuscaloosa screwed over UAB after they almost signed Jimbo Fisher. The flagship program will always be protected. There's no such flagship in the UL system despite what ULL may want to think.

The reason UNO couldn't support a football program was because back in the day, as a part of the LSU system, Baton Rouge would never allow that to happen, just as Tuscaloosa screwed over UAB after they almost signed Jimbo Fisher. The flagship program will always be protected. There's no such flagship in the UL system despite what ULL may want to think.
And this is indeed a fact. I heard Ron Maestri tell this same story back in 09’.

I think it would be great if UNO got a football team, and I would buy season tickets to support the team, but it just seems like it will never get off the ground.

And this is indeed a fact. I heard Ron Maestri tell this same story back in 09’.

I think it would be great if UNO got a football team, and I would buy season tickets to support the team, but it just seems like it will never get off the ground.
I would get tickets as well.

Students made the right choice

Can't say that I am pleased with the results (I'm not), but I'm not paying tuition either. I would be on board with paying alumni fees if it were to assist in making it happen though. But I can't see that happening.

Can't say that I am pleased with the results (I'm not), but I'm not paying tuition either. I would be on board with paying alumni fees if it were to assist in making it happen though. But I can't see that happening.
Only tangential to this conversation
Both of my grad schools did not have football teams
One university where I taught did not have football the other did
1st high school did, next 2 did not
I think both the educational and social vibe of the schools without football was better (obviously I’m a football fan of sorts)
I think the educational and campus life of uno students would have suffered if they’d voted yes

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom